Local Breweries

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Local Breweries

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska breweries participating in Omaha Beer Fest this year...

Backswing Brewing Co., LLC
Blue Blood Brewing Company
Bolo Beer Co.
Bottle Rocket Brewing LLC.
Brickway Brewery & Distillery
Empyrean Brewing Co
Farnam House Brewing Company
Infusion Brewing Company
Kinkaider Brewing Company
Lucky Bucket Brewing Company
Moonstruck Meadery
Nebraska Brewing Company Brewery & Tap Room
Ploughshare Brewing Co.
Scriptown Brewing Company
Soaring Wings Brewing
Spilker Ales
Upstream Brewing Company
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BPHusker wrote:Does anyone know when Infusion West is going to be opening?
Posted yesterday on FB:
infusion wrote:Today we took a major step towards opening, our Federal TTB Brewer's License was approved, it won't be long now!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Infusion brewing their first batch at the larger facility tomorrow. 6 packs to come eventually.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Infusion brewing their first batch at the larger facility tomorrow. 6 packs to come eventually.
and the Grand Opening Weekend on the 27th.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Starbucks debuts Nitro Cold Brew coffee

Not beer, but I hope we get this in Omaha...

Nitro Brew, which will be available in Seattle, Portland, New York, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco this summer, uses cold-brew coffee infused with nitrogen through a draft faucet to give it a creamy head, almost like a Guinness beer.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Starbucks debuts Nitro Cold Brew coffee

Not beer, but I hope we get this in Omaha...

Nitro Brew, which will be available in Seattle, Portland, New York, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco this summer, uses cold-brew coffee infused with nitrogen through a draft faucet to give it a creamy head, almost like a Guinness beer.
Sounds fantastic and definitely want to try this.. I'm going to be in Chicago over the 4th of July weekend.. I'll be looking for it...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Nitro cold brew is available here already. Archtype and Beansmith offer it, as well as Krug Park.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

yellowcolumbia wrote:Nitro cold brew is available here already. Archtype and Beansmith offer it, as well as Krug Park.
I did not know that, thanks for the tip!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Last weekend I went to Patriarch Distillers/Soldier Valley Spirits and then up the hill to Lucky Bucket/Cut Spike Distillery.

Took the "tour" at Patriarch. Not much really to tour, more of an information session. But it was very informative and really neat to hear more of the history of distilling. This week they were going to start an expansion project. Definitely worth a visit.

After that we went up the hill to Lucky Bucket. They have really expanded and tap room, its huge! Its a really nice improvement over what they had. They had "Monkey Call" on tap, which is a great Double IPA. Also, did they change the recipe for Certified Evil? I remember it being good, but it was great this last time. May be its just been too long since I had it on tap?

Its amazing that in a 1 mile radius of that LaVista Sod Farm, you have 3 Breweries and 2 Distilleries!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bottle Rocket Brewing CO. in Seward celebrating the 4th of July:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.03 KiB) Viewed 3763 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Local breweries are awesome community anchors, especially for those smaller towns.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Local breweries are awesome community anchors, especially for those smaller towns.
Absolutely. There was a nice article in the UNL alumni magazine about what Scratchtown is doing for Ord, NE.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is an updated Brewery Map that I made. I am working on updating the list on page one, once that is updated and double checked, I will add numbers to this map that correspond to that list.

Click Here to see it larger:
http://cranesandtrains.com/images/nebra ... sm-jpg.jpg

Nebraska should be over 30 Breweries by the end of the year....

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice map
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

You're missing Bootleg Brewers
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Nice map
Thanks!
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:You're missing Bootleg Brewers
I will add it tonight.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice map Brad. Great idea :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Nice map Brad. Great idea :thumb: ...
Thanks. Its actually Version #3. Coyote found one a while back and it was kind of out of date, then I made a generic one, but it was out of date almost as soon as I made it. So version 3 should be good to go and easily edited.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:banger:
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Very nice, Brad.

Couple more that pay taxes to the lcc that aren't represented:
Jaipur
Broken Arrow Cellars (Imperial)
Boiler Room (Lincoln)
Fairfield Opera House (Fairfield)
Granite City (Omaha and Lincoln) (they apparently at least ferment at each)
Divots (Norfolk)
Lazy Horse (Ohiowa)

You could cheat like me and use the Beerme.com .kmz file for google earth.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

yellowcolumbia wrote:Very nice, Brad.

Jaipur
Boiler Room (Lincoln)
Divots (Norfolk)
Lazy Horse (Ohiowa)

Thanks.
Never heard about a couple of those, forgot about a couple of others.
Also, I haven't been to Jaipur in a couple years, their website still says "Brewery" but mentions nothing about what they brew and no photos show any beer. Nothing on their facebook mentions beer or has photos of the beer. Also, they don't have a logo.
I forget about Granite City, I don't really keep it in the same list as a "Local Brewery".
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

I hear you on granite city, and I certainly wouldn't fault you for not including them.

I haven't been to Jaipur in ages either, and I only recall their jalapeño beer. But checking lcc website, they have paid taxes on 750 gallons that they have brewed this year.

Speaking of the lcc (liquor control commission). Zipline is killing it. They produced nearly 95,000 gallons of beer December through April. The next closest was the previous long time leader Empyrean/Lazlos at about 66,000 gallons produced.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

A Soaring Wings Vineyard radio ad just reminded me that they brew. I don't know how much, or how tasty.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

yellowcolumbia wrote:Speaking of the lcc (liquor control commission). Zipline is killing it. They produced nearly 95,000 gallons of beer December through April. The next closest was the previous long time leader Empyrean/Lazlos at about 66,000 gallons produced.
Their new Double IPA is absolutely fantastic! Scratchtown and Lucky Bucket also have very good double IPA's but they are a lot harder to find. Scratchtown "Wonder Twins" is gone in seconds when it does come to town, and Lucky Bucket's "Monkey Call" is a seasonal they only sell in the brewery. Seems like 6-Packs of the Zipline DBL IPA are here to stay.

Speaking of Lucky Bucket, either my tastes have changed, I had a bad batch in the past, or the recipe has changed, but Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil is a great beer. I tried it again a month or so ago and it was fantastic, now its my go-to beer.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
Their new Double IPA is absolutely fantastic! Scratchtown "Wonder Twins" is gone in seconds when it does come to town, .

I think you were helping with that last Saturday at BBQ and beers. :lol: :banger:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:
Brad wrote:
Their new Double IPA is absolutely fantastic! Scratchtown "Wonder Twins" is gone in seconds when it does come to town, .

I think you were helping with that last Saturday at BBQ and beers. :lol: :banger:
Lol, yes, I had 3 or 4 of them...
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Brad wrote: Speaking of Lucky Bucket, either my tastes have changed, I had a bad batch in the past, or the recipe has changed, but Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil is a great beer. I tried it again a month or so ago and it was fantastic, now its my go-to beer.
I really like Certified Evil too. Now. I used to not like it. My guess is that my tastes have changed.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
yellowcolumbia wrote:Very nice, Brad.

Jaipur
Boiler Room (Lincoln)
Divots (Norfolk)
Lazy Horse (Ohiowa)

Thanks.
Never heard about a couple of those, forgot about a couple of others.
Also, I haven't been to Jaipur in a couple years, their website still says "Brewery" but mentions nothing about what they brew and no photos show any beer. Nothing on their facebook mentions beer or has photos of the beer. Also, they don't have a logo.
I forget about Granite City, I don't really keep it in the same list as a "Local Brewery".
As it relates to Granite City, being a "Mug Club" member from the jump.. They do indeed brew/ferment at the Omaha location. I believe they do in Lincoln as well. The receipies/ingredients come from "corporate".. But they brew the beer on location..

That said, I don't consider them a "Local Brewery" either...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

guy4omaha wrote:
Brad wrote: Speaking of Lucky Bucket, either my tastes have changed, I had a bad batch in the past, or the recipe has changed, but Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil is a great beer. I tried it again a month or so ago and it was fantastic, now its my go-to beer.
I really like Certified Evil too. Now. I used to not like it. My guess is that my tastes have changed.
The original Certified Evil was a Belgian Dark Strong, but the recipe was adjusted to closer resemble an imperial porter, which I believe occurred a few years ago. It's quite possible that they adjusted the recipe again recently. Then again, I wouldn't put a bad batch past them either, based on the number of times I got served an oxidized (think cardboard) version of their lager.

I've still got a couple of the original 22oz bombers that I helped hand bottle; I should break one out and do a side-by-side with the current edition of Certified Evil.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

yellowcolumbia wrote:I've still got a couple of the original 22oz bombers that I helped hand bottle; I should break one out and do a side-by-side with the current edition of Certified Evil.
Keep them as a souvenir and drink the new stuff... :;):
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:
The original Certified Evil was a Belgian Dark Strong, but the recipe was adjusted to closer resemble an imperial porter, which I believe occurred a few years ago. It's quite possible that they adjusted the recipe again recently. Then again, I wouldn't put a bad batch past them either, based on the number of times I got served an oxidized (think cardboard) version of their lager.

I've still got a couple of the original 22oz bombers that I helped hand bottle; I should break one out and do a side-by-side with the current edition of Certified Evil.
Well that makes sense. It was around a couple years ago that I really started liking Certified Evil. Good to know but dangit. I thought that maybe I was finally getting a little more sophicated or something. Should have known better.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

guy4omaha wrote:
yellowcolumbia wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:

Well that makes sense. It was around a couple years ago that I really started liking Certified Evil. Good to know but dangit. I thought that maybe I was finally getting a little more sophicated or something. Should have known better.
I'll have to try it again. The first time I had it years ago I wanted to like it but was disappointed. My tastes have changed also, I often drink porters and stouts.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Jason4225 wrote: My tastes have changed also, I often drink porters and stouts.
The Imperial Stout at Brickway is really good.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Jason4225 wrote: My tastes have changed also, I often drink porters and stouts.
The Imperial Stout at Brickway is really good.
I find it interesting what they put on tap at restaurants and bars around town... Seems like its the "same old" everywhere you go.
Brickway Coffee Vanilla Stout and sometimes the Pils.
Infusion - Vanilla Bean Blond. Probably one of my least favorite Infusion beers.
Empyrean - Vanilla Porter. Decent beer, but not my favorite. Use to see 3rd stone a lot more as well
Lucky Bucket - Pre-Prohibition Lager.

I wish I could find...
Brickway Imperial Stout or Imperial IPA
Infusion Radial IPA or Joel Porter
Empyrean Watchman IPA or Oatmeal Stout.
Luckey Bucket Certified Evil Or Monkey Call (Only sold at the brewery)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:

Yes, the 2009 Certified Evil was a Belgian Strong Ale colloboration project that kept adding collaborators.
The 2010 version was an Imperial Porter 80% aged in oak barrels blended with a Cabernet barrel aged.
The 2013 version was an Imperial Porter no longer aged in barrels.
The 2014 version went back to a Strong Belgian Ale style.
The 2015 version went back to Imperial Porter,
and I just saw today at Hy-Vee it is packaged as an Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

Other small batches have been an Imperial Porter aged in Knob Creek Bourbon Barrels,
an Imperial Porter aged in Chava Rum Barrels,
an Imperial Porter aged in Cut Spike Whiskey Barrels,
an Imperial Porter aged in Jameson Barrels,
and an Imperial Porter with Beansmith Coffee.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Was what you saw today a 6-pack as opposed to old the 4-pack?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Was what you saw today a 6-pack as opposed to old the 4-pack?
Yes, they are going for all 6 packs now.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Brad wrote:I find it interesting what they put on tap at restaurants and bars around town... Seems like its the "same old" everywhere you go.
It's what the distributors think they can make money on without disrupting their other beers that make much more profit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Brad wrote:I find it interesting what they put on tap at restaurants and bars around town... Seems like its the "same old" everywhere you go.
It's what the distributors think they can make money on without disrupting their other beers that make much more profit.
So for example, if Budweiser distributes something liked Odell IPA or Laganuitas IPA as will as distribute fro Infusion, they are never going to put Radial IPA in, they will always stick with the big name IPAs and go with the Vanilla Bean Blond infusion? That's too bad...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Well, there's a huge debate about brewers and distributors in the national beer community.
You don't really need to worry about that though because Quality Brands is the exclusive AB InBev distributor here in Omaha. I believe they do a good job of selling all different types of beers.
Also craft breweries often make smaller batches of certain beers to get people into their taproom. They don't have to pay a distributor anything if you buy a draft in the taproom.

Of course I'm greatly simplifying the whole process.