Local Breweries

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Local Breweries

Post by Brad »

I love getting growlers filled in the tap rooms, I have one from almost every brewery in the metro and over 1/2 the breweries in the state. If I had the time I would probably buy most of my beer that way.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:I love getting growlers filled in the tap rooms, I have one from almost every brewery in the metro and over 1/2 the breweries in the state. If I had the time I would probably buy most of my beer that way.

So yo you have a special Growler closet/cupboard in the house? :D When I lived in Casper Wyoming there was a liquor store that sold growlers and you were able to fill them with whatever they had on tap in the store. This was the late 90's. I looked them up and they still are doing this. http://www.liquorshed.com/growler/ Anyone do that around here?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:
Brad wrote:I love getting growlers filled in the tap rooms, I have one from almost every brewery in the metro and over 1/2 the breweries in the state. If I had the time I would probably buy most of my beer that way.
So yo you have a special Growler closet/cupboard in the house? :D
I get the cabinet above the fridge for my growlers and beer glasses.
Uffda wrote:When I lived in Casper Wyoming there was a liquor store that sold growlers and you were able to fill them with whatever they had on tap in the store. This was the late 90's. I looked them up and they still are doing this. http://www.liquorshed.com/growler/ Anyone do that around here?
Nebraska is/was looking at legalizing that. The law is/was that the beer in the growler had to match the brewery on the growler.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Specials on tap for Upstream’s anniversary

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/dining-n ... 35900.html
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald wrote:The brewery opened Sept. 30, 1996.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thunderhead Brewery out of Kearney will be opening a Tap Room at 132nd and West Center. I just talked to the manager and he said they are shooting for the first week of October, and they also plan on opening Tap Rooms in Lincoln and South Sioux City.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Thunderhead Brewery out of Kearney will be opening a Tap Room at 132nd and West Center. I just talked to the manager and he said they are shooting for the first week of October, and they also plan on opening Tap Rooms in Lincoln and South Sioux City.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Breweries in planning and homebrewers will not be allowed to pour at GNBF this year, and will likely affect other events going forward. Apparently, the Neb liquor control commission issued a warning that they would be enforcing current state statutes that do not allow for this, since breweries in planning can't legally make beer before they get their license and homebrewed beer and only be shared with family or friends unless allowed by a special designated license (SDL).

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the result of some big brewer's lobbyists.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Found this little nugget in a story from the Norfolk Newspaper about a couple of younger guys bring some old building back to life in Wayne NE. Looks like if things go as planned there will be a brewery in Wayne sometime next year.

............................The 1912 building also contains an old fire station addition that was built in 1977. It features seven bays, including a larger bay that housed a ladder truck.

Plans call for leasing out the fire hall to other investors who will operate a brewery from it. If all goes according to plans, everything will be operating by next summer.......................
http://norfolkdailynews.com/news/busine ... 847f3.html
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dang, LaVista is the Fort Collins of Nebraska...

I went to Bootleggers last weekend. Decent beers, nothing earth shattering. However the Bootleggers Location nestled down a gravel road out in the middle of the sandhills is awesome!

They have a food menu, live music on the patio on the weekends, and even cabins for rent. Could be a cool place to go spend a relaxing weekend.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Dang, LaVista is the Fort Collins of Nebraska....
I like the sound of that :cheers: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brickway's new winter beer:

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I going to try and pick up a single or 2 of this and give it a try. A Maple-Pecan 5% Brown Ale.. Hmm. Seems a bit weak.. But then again, everything is weak after all the imperial stouts and double IPA's I enjoy...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Couple medals for Nebraska brewers at the Great American Beer Festival this year, both to Nebraska Brewing Company:
Silver for Responsibly (62 entries)
Silver for Melange a Trois (159 entries)
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Coyote wrote:Thunderhead Brewery out of Kearney will be opening a Tap Room at 132nd and West Center. I just talked to the manager and he said they are shooting for the first week of October, and they also plan on opening Tap Rooms in Lincoln and South Sioux City.
I saw a large sign posted by my dentist's office for Thunderhead's Taproom: https://www.facebook.com/thunderheadtaproomomaha
Looks like they'll have a nice patio, away from Center: Image

There's also a new place going in next to the Papa Murphy's at about 126th and Center: https://www.facebook.com/Originaldraughthouse
Does anybody know anything about it?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brush Creek Brewing Company
102 N Main St, Atkinson, NE 68713
http://www.facebook.com/BrushCreekBrewingCompany
Brush Creek Brewing Company wrote:We provide a respite from the chaos of everyday life and treat you as an honored guest. Through our in-house handcrafted ales, artisan-style brick oven pizzas, intimate atmosphere, and highly trained staff, Brush Creek Brewing Company and The Well is your premiere choice for a food service establishment you'll crave to come back to again!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

zippy wrote:
I saw a large sign posted by my dentist's office for Thunderhead's Taproom: https://www.facebook.com/thunderheadtaproomomaha
Looks like they'll have a nice patio, away from Center:
Not a local brewery, but it somehow got lumped into this thread. Anyways, they posted an update on Facebook that they will be opening Nov 23.

I've been inside and it looks nice, but the patio should be fantastic.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

White Elm (http://whiteelmbrewing.com/) opened earlier this week in Lincoln (2717 S. 8th St).
Had a couple of their beers at the Happy Raven tonight; the Grapefruit Grisette was very good, but the Imperial Stout was outstanding.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went and visited 4 breweries in Lincoln today.

Blue Blood Brewing Company - New Head Brewer. Their beers are much better and they were. The new brewer has changed all the recipes. I was never a big fan but everything I had today was great. They also had a good looking food menu. The food is seasonal and always changing.

Boiler Brewing - Highlight of the day. They had some really Great IPA's. In the basement of a cool old building in downtown Lincoln. The place was really cool looking.

White Elm Brewing - Newer near Blue Blood. Beers were all good and had a nice tap room.

Backswing Brewing - Never even heard of this place, just opened yesterday. They are located in the old Blue Blood brewery on south 5th street. apparently they have been brewing since May while they were remodeling and getting all their licenses. They completely remodeled the tap room. Had a smaller selection of beers but they were all good.

Between these places and also Empyrean, Ploughsahre, and Zipline, Lincoln has some great beer!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Looks like you had a great brewery tour. I've been considering a weekend brewery tour down in Lincoln and being a tourist in my own hometown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

2016 CRAFT BEER YEAR IN REVIEW FROM THE BREWERS ASSOCIATION

https://www.brewersassociation.org/pres ... ign=buffer

Lots of good information about the health of the Craft Beer Industry in that article!
2016BEER.JPG
2016BEER.JPG (59.99 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the inbox...

Looks like two breweries in one building!
LAVISTA.JPG
LAVISTA.JPG (102.51 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Brad wrote:From the inbox...

LAVISTA.JPG
So there will be two breweries in that building (104th and a couple blocks south of Giles), Nebraska Brewing Tap Room one mile to the north on roughly 108th & Harrison, and Lucky Bucket two miles to the west on 117th & Giles.

That little area is quickly becoming the brewery capital of the metro, apparently. I like it.
Last edited by WBR_Tom on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WBR_Tom wrote:So there will be two breweries in that building (104th and a couple blocks south of Giles), Nebraska Brewing Tap Room one mile to the north on roughly 108th & Harrison, and Lucky Bucket two miles to the west on 117th & Giles.

That little area is quickly becoming the brewery capital of the metro, apparently. I like it.
I counted 5 Breweries and 2 distilleries in a 1 mile radius when you add the new infusion on 108th.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Brad wrote:
WBR_Tom wrote:So there will be two breweries in that building (104th and a couple blocks south of Giles), Nebraska Brewing Tap Room one mile to the north on roughly 108th & Harrison, and Lucky Bucket two miles to the west on 117th & Giles.

I counted 5 Breweries and 2 distilleries in a 1 mile radius when you add the new infusion on 108th.
Oh right, I forgot about Infusion...plus there's Liquid Sunshine Tap Room inside the Alamo Drafthouse. And then the two distilleries (Patriarch and Soldier Valley, right?)

Pretty amazing.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Looks like Pint Nine, Kros Strain and Vis Major are all progressing nicely. They all* had their plumbing done and concrete floors poured.

* Vis Major stated that floors should have been poured by now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Not Nebraska brewed, but Odell is brewing a signature beer for the Flagship Group restaurants. It is a blood orange saison.
Before the NU vs Purdue game Sunday we stopped in at HopCat where I got an Odell Flagship Hop Shop Mosaic Pale Ale which claims to be Flagship's signature beer.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Not Nebraska brewed, but Odell is brewing a signature beer for the Flagship Group restaurants. It is a blood orange saison.
Before the NU vs Purdue game Sunday we stopped in at HopCat where I got an Odell Flagship Hop Shop Mosaic Pale Ale which claims to be Flagship's signature beer.
I had it at Blatt a few months ago. It was great!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

WBR_Tom wrote:
Brad wrote:From the inbox...

LAVISTA.JPG
So there will be two breweries in that building (104th and a couple blocks south of Giles), Nebraska Brewing Tap Room one mile to the north on roughly 108th & Harrison, and Lucky Bucket two miles to the west on 117th & Giles.

Hey, Tom! Welcome to the forums!
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Hey, Tom! Welcome to the forums!
Thanks! Glad to be here; this is an awesome forum.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The guy talking right now to the General Affairs Committee just said there are 47 Licensed Breweries in Nebraska???
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:The guy talking right now to the General Affairs Committee just said there are 47 Licensed Breweries in Nebraska???
That's more than I ever imagined...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

The amount of pay to play politics going on not only in the state, but locally in the Omaha government is mind boggling. What other place does this bill have than to satisfy big beer company donors...?
#gohawks
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the Pint 9 FB page, here are their Tap Handles:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Steeple Brewing in Hasting's Progress:

http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1c ... 762a03ef19
Steeple Brewing wrote:Image
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Brad wrote:The guy talking right now to the General Affairs Committee just said there are 47 Licensed Breweries in Nebraska???
Seemed high to me too, but sure enough. 39 out of 42 breweries shipped beer in December. Add in others licensed since Dec or that may have state license but are not yet producing that we know about (V's major, Pint Nine, Kros Strain, Juke) and you are there.
NE_Brewers_Dec.jpg
NE_Brewers_Dec.jpg (252.64 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
I updated my spreadsheet based on the state LCC data for end of December, and Nebraska craft brewers produced 39,681 barrels of beer in 2016, a 30% increase from 2015. :banger:
I did my share of consumption to help drive that number, but I'll still push for improvement in 2017. :mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lol, awesome! Thanks for the list!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went thought the list and highlighted the breweries that I have been too.

So I have wondered, No Thunderhead is Brewed in Kearney? All is brewed in Axtel? So I should scratch that off my list of "Breweries I have visited"?
NE_Brewers_Dec.jpg
NE_Brewers_Dec.jpg (147.25 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

yellowcolumbia wrote: Seemed high to me too, but sure enough. 39 out of 42 breweries shipped beer in December. Add in others licensed since Dec or that may have state license but are not yet producing that we know about (V's major, Pint Nine, Kros Strain, Juke) and you are there.

I updated my spreadsheet based on the state LCC data for end of December, and Nebraska craft brewers produced 39,681 barrels of beer in 2016, a 30% increase from 2015. :banger:
I did my share of consumption to help drive that number, but I'll still push for improvement in 2017. :mrgreen:
Using the license search on the LCC website, as of today there are 48 licenses under Class L - Craft Brewery (Brew Pub) or Class LK - Brew Pub/Catering.

Those not included in the list above:
PALS Brewing (N.Platte)
Kros Strain
Steeple Brewing (Hastings)
Code Beer Co (Lincoln)
Pint Nine
Vis Major
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Brad wrote:I went thought the list and highlighted the breweries that I have been too.

So I have wondered, No Thunderhead is Brewed in Kearney? All is brewed in Axtel? So I should scratch that off my list of "Breweries I have visited"?
NE_Brewers_Dec.jpg
Their Kearney location is still a licensed brewery and you've been there, so it can stay on your list IMHO. I just so happens that they've made a business decision not to brew any beer at that location since 2013 (as far as they've told the state).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks, I would like to check out the actual brewery sometime in Axtel.

Also, Bull Market Beer and Grill in Valentine, is that the closest thing to visiting Bolo? I didn't even see a sign for Bolo when I was there, just kind of looked like it was in the back of Bull Market and the bartender at Bull Market called them "Our Beers".