Moonstruck Meadery (Bellevue)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

What does anyone know about Moonstruck Meadery in Bellevue.  Did a search and didn't find any really mention here other than as the sponsor / participant at an event or two.

http://www.moonstruckmead.com/our-meads/

Meads as you may know are honey based.  I want to go there and try some of their crafts but have not yet.  I stumbled across this in the "local" section of things at the Hyvee liquor store.  Did a search and about all I see about them specifically is their web site.  Anyone had any or been their?

From their web site
Moonstruck Meadery was named after the March 2011, Moonstruck Super Moon, which occurs every 18 years. The Mead Maker and Owner, Brian Schlueter, has created many libations of mead, he began his mead craft in 1990 while stationed at Kadena Airbase in Okinawa Japan. His passion and love for making mead stems from years of home brewing, and interest in educating.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Moonstruck is listed under other.

Older than Beer or Wine
Bellevue’s Meadery Offers Smooth Flavors

The Reader wrote:Moonstruck Meadery in Bellevue opened its doors October 28, 2011. “We sold out three weeks later,” says Brian Schlueter, the meadery’s founder. “We reopened January 26 and then we closed four weeks later because we ran out of product again. We ramped up production and have been open ever since.”

Mead is like wine’s cousin, only it’s made from honey instead of grapes. Mead is purported to be the oldest fermented drink still in production today, featuring a history longer than that of both beer and wine. Most claim mead originated in Ethiopia. It’s a favorite at Renaissance festivals because of its rich heritage and flavor.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bellevue's Moonstruck Meadery wins 3 awards in Argentine wine competition

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130905/G ... ompetition
Cara Pesek / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Bellevue's Moonstruck Meadery took home three awards during a recent wine competition in Argentina.

The Meadery's Capsumel, a pepper mead, was the only American-made wine or mead to receive a double-gold medal at Vinus 2013, one of many annual international wine competitions. The meadery's strawberry and blackberry meads won gold and silver medals respectively.

"It's kind of world recognition," said Brian Schlueter, president of Moonstruck Meadery.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So here anyone been to their tasting room or drank their offerings?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just did today. I am no Wine Connoisseur being more of a beer snob, but they give you 5 tastings for $5 and they were decent - given the fact that they have earned all those medals and all...

Coyote
City Council

Re: Moonstruck Meadery (Bellevue)

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rumor has it that Brian is going to brew some beers in conjunction with Farnam House....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Rumor has it that Brian is going to brew some beers in conjunction with Farnam House....
Farnam House is brewing Nebraska Brewing too.

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I really hope they didn't pay someone for that logo. Nonetheless will have to check this place out, my buddy started a meadery in Wyoming a couple years back.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

100 BEST OF THE WORLD SPIRITS 2015

# COMPANY LIQUORS TYPE COUNTRY AWARDS POINTS
1 Moonstruck Meadery Moonstruck Capsumel Hidromiel/Mead Wines USA 4 147.39
2 Cidrerie Du Minot Cidrerie Du Minot Cremant De Glace Spirit Cider Canada 3 118.38
3 Cidrerie Du Minot Du Minot des Glaces Récolte d Hiver Édition Limitée Cidre de Glace 2011 Spirit Cider Canada 2 99.38
4 Cidrerie - La Face Cachée de la Pomme La Face Cachee De La Pomme Neige Recolte D Hiver 2012 Spirit Cider Canada 2 97.75
5 Nocino Cariatis Nocino Cariatis Licor de Nuez 2013 Spirit Liqueur Argentina 2 97.38
6 Agroproductos Bauza Y Cia. Ltda. Pisco Reservado Bauza 40º Doble Destilado Grape Brandy Chile 2 94.88
7 Le Flanc Nord. Verger & Cidrerie Le Flanc Nord Verger and Cidrerie Cidre De Glace 2012 Spirit Cider Canada 2 78.13
8 Wort Hog Cidery At Earle Estates Wort Hog Cidery Porkys Pleasure Cherry Hard Cider Spirit Cider USA 2 75.63
9 St.Ambrose Cellars St. Ambrose Tupelo Ambrosia Varietal Semi Sweet Hidromiel/Mead Wines USA 2 67.50
10 Cidrerie Du Minot Du Minot des Glaces Récolte d Hiver Cidre de Glace 2010 Spirit Cider Canada 2 64.38
11 Wort Hog Cidery At Earle Estates
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Closed! =(
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TLGJames wrote:Closed! =(
Rebranding and expanding.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Coyote wrote:
TLGJames wrote:Closed! =(
Rebranding and expanding.
image.jpeg
Really? Because their facebook page is completely gone and everything.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brian is no longer in the Meadery business. He will still sell a Mead from North Dakota at the rebranded place under a less restrictive liquor license. I do not know how Meads are more restricted in the state of Nebraska so I can not comment on that. Brian used to be into home brewing before he got the Mead bug so I suspect he will go back into that, who knows, there may be a Moonstruck Brewery in the future. As I posted in this thread a few years ago... "Rumor has it that Brian is going to brew some beers in conjunction with Farnam House...."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here you go:

Bellevue’s Moonstruck ends production of mead, plans to rebrand
Blake Ursch / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The change, Schlueter said, means Moonstruck can operate under a less-restrictive liquor license, possibly expanding to multiple locations in the future. “We’re starting to build the legend,” Schlueter said.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Yeah but this is new.

They shut their facebook/website down without any notice.

Employees weren't even told about it.

If they're closing to rebrand, you would think that they would at least have some sort of social media presence to tell people about it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, he had in other places... We are friends on Facebook and he posts often on Railroaders Brew Club in fact on March 29th he posted: "Not sure if everyone has heard, we will soon be serving beer, wine and mead. Our pizza growth was crazy last year, so we decided to change the license and the name.... Moonstruck Pizza & Beer" and that OWH article was from April....
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Whatever happened with this? I know the complete closure was sudden and surprising, but nobody seemed to have the inside scoop. Did what went down ever come to light? I love me some good restaurant/brewery gossip. :)
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:17 am Whatever happened with this? I know the complete closure was sudden and surprising, but nobody seemed to have the inside scoop. Did what went down ever come to light? I love me some good restaurant/brewery gossip. :)
I have no idea what happened. But, the location appears to now be a Hawaiian restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/OnoPinayKitchen/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Whatever happened to Brad Shlueter and Moonstruck Meadery in Bellevue?

Moonstruck Meadery Reopens In Bellevue

Two local businessmen had one major problem, but it was a good one. Their special brew became so popular that they needed a new location to make more.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:26 pm Whatever happened to Brad Shlueter and Moonstruck Meadery in Bellevue?

Moonstruck Meadery Reopens In Bellevue

Two local businessmen had one major problem, but it was a good one. Their special brew became so popular that they needed a new location to make more.

This report is 10 years old........
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I liked Moonstruck. I think I remember something like the two business partners having a falling out and they shut the place down on almost no notice right after expanding into the 2nd bay that was a bakery. It was weird. I think one of them left the state as well, but I can't remember exactly.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Moonstruck Meadery (Olde Towne Bellevue)

Post by ChadJK »

That was definitely an odd one. The business seemed, from the outside, to be booming. They were expanding. Everything was going well. Then, BAM! Closed. I figured the truth about the closure would come out eventually. Everyone was very tightlipped when it happened.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Re: Moonstruck Meadery (Olde Towne Bellevue)

Post by omaha79 »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:24 am That was definitely an odd one. The business seemed, from the outside, to be booming. They were expanding. Everything was going well. Then, BAM! Closed. I figured the truth about the closure would come out eventually. Everyone was very tightlipped when it happened.
This is all interesting. That was a big loss for Bellevue at that time during an era where they didn't have much in the way of interesting dining concepts. Bellevue is in such a better place from a restaurant perspective now. Was just telling a few friends that Bellevue has become a hidden gem of small local eateries.