LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen (9th & Dodge) - CLOSED

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen (9th & Dodge)

Post by skinzfan23 »

I overheard an owner of another business in the Old Market saying that Local Beer is hoping to open on Friday in time for Berkshire.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I was also told May 1 opening.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like there will be "normal beer" as my Mom calls it for those who don't like craft beer.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw those photos on Facebook and was a bit surprised... I thought it was only Local Beer?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I saw those photos on Facebook and was a bit surprised... I thought it was only Local Beer?
Maybe just the taps will be all local?
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

The "standards" will be available for those who might ask for it, but it certainly is not the focus.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I should clarify that I believe you are correct that all the taps will be local, and the standards will just be in cans/bottles.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I can also confirm the soft opening in time for Berk. Official grand opening not for a couple of weeks though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OWH posted on Facebook that it opens tomorrow. So much for the "Soft Opening".
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Friday of BH with the event hall being ope that day. Could get crazy slammed for their first day. They need to get some signs on the sidewalk on 10th letting everyone know they are open.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Giant Connect Four games on the walls...

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I've eaten here three times since they've opened. Some of the best food for the price in DTO IMO. The double decker club is MASSIVE and the spicy spam sandwich is incredible.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mr. omaha wrote:I've eaten here three times since they've opened. Some of the best food for the price in DTO IMO. The double decker club is MASSIVE and the spicy spam sandwich is incredible.
That's good to hear, i can;t wait to check it out after all the Garth Concerts are over.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I went there last night. Great place. I think they have a concept that can survive and thrive in that space.

Greg
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Spent time here Friday and Saturday night. Of course they were slammed with the 2 Garth Brooks concerts. But the staff worked hard and I think they did a great job. They were smart and had an event menu. Kept it simple. The beer selection is fantastic. Other than the occasional cowpoke ordering a Busch Lite! Very different vibe than DJ's. Nice to have an alternative. The big question is how well they do on no event nights. I will definitely be going back.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

swgiust wrote:Spent time here Friday and Saturday night. Of course they were slammed with the 2 Garth Brooks concerts. But the staff worked hard and I think they did a great job. They were smart and had an event menu. Kept it simple. The beer selection is fantastic. Other than the occasional cowpoke ordering a Busch Lite! Very different vibe than DJ's. Nice to have an alternative. The big question is how well they do on no event nights. I will definitely be going back.
I think that they have positioned themselves to be different than you standard sports bar which will help them a lot on non event nights. People will go anywhere with cold beer when big things are happening, LOCAL seems to have positioned themselves as a unique option when compared to The Matt or DJ's. Farrel's and 9th Street Tavern while decent really were run of the mill and marketed themselves toward the same crowds that frequent the competition in more visible locations.

With LOCAL's focus on Nebraska beers and giving people things to do like Connect Four they have geared toward a different crowd. For instance I doubt this scene has ever happened at DJ's.

Obviously it has the new factor still, but I have high hopes that this will be a staple of DT for years to come.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed yesterday at lunch that the patio was filled and there were quite a few bikes on Dodge as well. I know that I never saw that at this location before with Farrell's or 9th St Tavern.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That picture looks amazing, can't wait to try this place out.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

May 29th they will be the first in Omaha to offer beer from Kinkaider Brewing in Broken Bow.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I went lastnight and it was very busy. I think they finaly have a winning concept in this space. Much improved seating & the service was good. The only negative about this place is they have a ventilation problem always have. You & your clothes will smell like french fries after you leaev. I'll be back!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

LOCAL is selling "Crowlers." 32 oz cans filled on the spot that you can take home.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

wow, that's cool!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dang, i can't get those images at work...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Here is an additional story on the Crowlers - it was on the news Tuesday

http://www.kmtv.com/news/up-front-at-4/ ... -home-beer
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One of my birthday parties today was at Local where I had time to talk with Charlie Yin about the family business, his uncle Milton, the Advent of the Imperial Palace, the developing concept of Hiro 88 and... The next Local development in Lincoln which will have a Hiro 88 next door, and... His new brewery. After talking with him over an hour let's just say he knows his beers, knows many of the local Brewers and sounds like this may be a real well thought out piece of work!

When I Facebook friended him he saw my profile pic and said you're on eOmahaForums... He was on eOmaha when the concept of Local was first being developed here and mentioned the nay sayers, and proudly mentioned how now they have three locations with a fourth in Lincoln in the works!

Oh, and I did mention the ventilation problem here and he just nodded his head and said they inherited that problem which sounded like it is almost impossible to fix.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Local moving to the Live North Downtown building on 12th and Cass?

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... 019-56.pdf
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm Local moving to the Live North Downtown building on 12th and Cass
You mean the Alvine Building?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm Local moving to the Live North Downtown building on 12th and Cass
You mean the Alvine Building?
That is probably more appropriate. The apartments are called the other name.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I can't remember... how much retail space is in that building?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looking closer the license request is for a 22x63 area on the 5th floor. Maybe this is event space they are operating. Not a ton of detail to be gathered.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Looks like it might be used only for special events

We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Brad
City Council

Re: LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen (9th & Dodge) - CLOSED

Post by Brad »

CLOSED

That area could be so cool if 480 didn't dump on to their front porch.
LOCAL wrote:After four years and many amazing memories, Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Downtown Omaha will be closed as of today, and relocating in the near future. Due to issues with ongoing construction over the last year, we felt it was in our best interests to move on. We have been able to watch the Nebraska craft beer scene grow from just 12 breweries when we opened to well over 40 today. We’d like to thank all of our amazing customers for their support over the years and all the brewers/breweries for making such outstanding products.

Our Downtown location endured a year of heavy construction as well as MUD water main breaks which led to some issues that proved hard to overcome. We have found a new home out West, and we will have more news to follow on our “Re-Grand Opening” 🙂 . In the meantime, swing by our Lincoln, Gretna, or Millard locations to taste the best beer our state has to offer!!! Thanks for your support and remember to #DrinkLocal!!!
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Brad wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 am CLOSED

Hard for any place to survive the year they've had -- the construction nearby is bad enough (the sidewalk on that side of the street has been closed for how long?), the multiple MUD water main breaks have been worse, and combined with the reality of that location with the 480 ramp being at their doorstep it's unsustainable.

I'm sure they'll find another downtown location and be back open soon.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

WBR_Tom wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 am
Brad wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:08 am CLOSED

Hard for any place to survive the year they've had -- the construction nearby is bad enough (the sidewalk on that side of the street has been closed for how long?), the multiple MUD water main breaks have been worse, and combined with the reality of that location with the 480 ramp being at their doorstep it's unsustainable.

I'm sure they'll find another downtown location and be back open soon.

It will be interesting to see where they end up and if for sure it's downtown. They referenced a new home out west.

Greg
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Hate to see them go, It was one of my favorite "close" spots. I am sure as soon as the apartment building is done, something else will open there. It's not a great spot, but it's not a bad spot. One option they should work on is doubling the width of the sidewalk on the north side of highway. It would be much more "walker" friendly.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Greg S wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:54 am It will be interesting to see where they end up and if for sure it's downtown. They referenced a new home out west.
Probably 3623 N 129th St. You know, where Salt 88, Bruno's, other Yin restaurants have been. He likes to re-use his same spots.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After four years and many amazing memories, Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Downtown Omaha will be closed as of today and relocating to Village Pointe. Due to issues with ongoing construction over the last year, we felt it was in our best interests to move on. We have been able to watch the Nebraska craft beer scene grow from just 12 breweries when we opened to well over 40 today. We’d like to thank all of our amazing customers for their support over the years and all the brewers/breweries for making such outstanding products.

Our Downtown location endured a year of heavy construction as well as MUD water main breaks which led to some issues that proved hard to overcome. We have found a new home out West, and we will have more news to follow on our “Re-Grand Opening” date 🙂 . In the meantime, swing by our Lincoln, Gretna, or Millard locations to taste the best beer our state has to offer!!! Thanks for your support and remember to #DrinkLocal!!!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:36 pm
After four years and many amazing memories, Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Downtown Omaha will be closed as of today and relocating to Village Pointe. Due to issues with ongoing construction over the last year, we felt it was in our best interests to move on. We have been able to watch the Nebraska craft beer scene grow from just 12 breweries when we opened to well over 40 today. We’d like to thank all of our amazing customers for their support over the years and all the brewers/breweries for making such outstanding products.

Our Downtown location endured a year of heavy construction as well as MUD water main breaks which led to some issues that proved hard to overcome. We have found a new home out West, and we will have more news to follow on our “Re-Grand Opening” date 🙂 . In the meantime, swing by our Lincoln, Gretna, or Millard locations to taste the best beer our state has to offer!!! Thanks for your support and remember to #DrinkLocal!!!
Cheeseburger in Paradise location replacement??
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
yman97
Home Owners Association

Post by yman97 »

They confirmed that they're moving to the Cheeseburger in Paradise location on Facebook.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

yman97 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:26 pm They confirmed that they're moving to the Cheeseburger in Paradise location on Facebook.
They should do well there.