Over Easy (16859 Q Street)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Grow Omaha Radio Show wrote:A brand new restaurant concept known as "Over Easy" is coming to Mission Village shopping center in SW Omaha, according to real estate broker Ben Pearson. Over Easy, a breakfast-and-lunch-only restaurant, will open November 12th in a former Blimpie space at 16859 Q Street. The restaurant will be chef-driven, locally focused and will feature both dine-in and drive-thru options. The owner hopes to announce additional locations in 2014.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

The name sounds like it will be one of those "egg" breakfast-brunch places.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

A guy I knew in high school's brother owns this place. He's a good guy, hope it does well.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

I have heard that they are doing homemade pop tarts out the drive thru.  Anyone have news on that?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

onelocalfoods wrote:I have heard that they are doing homemade pop tarts out the drive thru.  Anyone have news on that?
Opening November 12th

Homemade Over Easy Pop Tarts with house-made jam:
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Wow.  That will be great!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Soft opening Thu and Fri, they hope to be open on Monday.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

They are now open and the Biscuits and Gravy is the best I have had.  Cool atmosphere also.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Went here for Lunch today. The Lunch menu is good but with limited options, the breakfast menu looks great. Nice atmosphere even though it is in a strip mall. Had the Turkey BLT, will be back for a breakfast here.

Coyote
City Council

Re: Over Easy (16859 Q Street)

Post by Coyote »

Made it back for breakfast. Baked Egg Boat (with Potato-Hash Rounds and Sriracha/Ketchup sauce) Clementine Poptart:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Funny how she had what I had on Wednesday...

Dining review: Breakfast spot draws in neighbors with flashy fare – like homemade Pop-Tarts
Sarah Baker Hansen: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Over Easy falls in between the higher-end brunch spot — think Dixie Quicks — and a diner. The east wall of the restaurant is covered by multicolored barn wood while the west side has a more old school bar feel with stools. The space is airy, modern and welcoming, and it's bustling with diners, especially on the weekends.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

What a great review! This place is doing some very fun and exciting things. Great pictures coyote.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reality TV chef will transform Omaha's Over Easy
Sarah Baker Hansen:World-Herald staff writer wrote:Omaha will welcome a pop-up restaurant helmed by a celebrity chef this weekend when west Omaha’s Over Easy transforms itself for two nights under the helm of chef Jeff Kawakami, a finalist on ABC’s show “The Taste.”
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BIG-T »

Over Easy is a very nice place to go get a good meal. I had a very nice time there
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Did you hear them on the radio today? 1180 AM.

Great show. Lots of exciting insight. Well done.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

onelocalfoods wrote:Did you hear them on the radio today?  1180 AM.

Great show.  Lots of exciting insight.  Well done.
Yes... I hope to interview Nick about a few things he talked about. We'll see....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just sat down with Nick Bartholomew of Over Easy this morning and he told me about a legislative bill that Sen. Ashford will help introduce next session on a local farm to table project known as ONE Local, I hope to learn more in the next few days, but it sounds like a great new venture for the farm to market concept in the Omaha area, supported by many restaurants, Chefs and farms already.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Coyote wrote:I just sat down with Nick Bartholomew of Over Easy this morning and he told me about a legislative bill that Sen. Ashford will help introduce next session on a local farm to table project known as ONE Local...
If local food is available, and of great quality, use it ! But, why should we buy local if food from other states is better quality and better value ? Why do we need the state government circumventing the free market ?

While Nick may be a nice guy, Over Easy's limited menu, smallish portions and somewhat high prices has limited our visits.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Not sure if you know, but Brad Ashford is not running for re-election to the Unicam. He won't be there in January to introduce a bill, but hopefully someone else will take it & run with it
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sen. Ashford is helping, I think Sen. Kolowski will sponsor the bill.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Over Easy will be on CNBC show "Restaurant Startup" sometime early next year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It appears Chef Tim Maides is no longer at Over Easy, but now at Twisted Cork Bistro...
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

CNBC!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Over Easy wrote:We are taking Biscuits and Gravy and Hash Brown Rounds to Hollywood!
They told us after lots of searching that no one in the country is doing what we are doing!
Can't wait to make you proud Omaha!...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Over Easy wrote:3 weeks until Over Easy appears on Restaurant Startup on CNBC!
We will be competing against Roast of Los Angeles and asking for a second location in Aksarben Village.
February 10th we will be hosting a viewing party at Over Easy to cheer us on. Details to come.
Over Easy going to Aksarben Village?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Would be nice to see the Gordman's building fill up.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate there once, last June as I recall. I've probably eaten weekend breakfast at about 15 different restaurants in the past year. I would rate Over Easy as about the 15th best of the 15. I didn't care for it at all.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Is it because it's contemporary food and you don't understand how someone could do that to your favorite old style hash browns. Because in this town. There is no better.
Chicken and waffles and biscuits and gravy there is BY FAR the best in town.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Are you the owner of Over Easy or something? You get really defensive about them.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Over Easy wrote:We just received a call from CNBC and our episode has been fast tracked! We will now be on one week earlier than scheduled. Next Tuesday February 3rd at 9 p.m. Over Easy will face off for a shot at a second location!

Join us next Tuesday night at Over Easy for a viewing party. Doors open at 8 p.m. and we will be serving the dishes we took on the show! Watch episode 3 tomorrow night and see the previews from our show.Cheer on Omaha next Tuesday night!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

onelocalfoods wrote:Is it because it's contemporary food and you don't understand how someone could do that to your favorite old style hash browns.
Please remember that it's the customers, those consuming the fare and those paying the check, that make or break a restaurant. If the customers do not get what they enjoy, they will not return, and there will be yet another iteration of the "Grand Opening - Closed for Remodeling - For Lease" signs!

In the Omaha market there's most definitely a demand for a traditional American breakfast prepared well, meaning a step up from the "usual suspect" breakfast places. Places such as Le Peep and Jimmy's Egg come to mind immediately. Some people (as in those who pay the check) do enjoy those "favorite old style hash browns", particularly if well prepared!

There's also room for being adventurous and creative in the kitchen. There's a demand for contemporary cuisine. However, I've too often seen these "contemporary" twists on old favorites fail, with such things as overseasoning and seemingly random ingredients which just don't work. LOL, that sprig of rosemary speared into a biscuit like a lone pine tree on a bald mountain won't make up for the biscuit being hard and overly chewy! (That example from recent experience, although not in Omaha!)

Now if I were opening a restaurant, which I have no plans to do :) I would hire a chef who could be innovative, but still had a good feel for the likes and dislikes of the clientele! That statement above seems to show a disregard for what the customers want.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Are you the owner of Over Easy or something?  You get really defensive about them.
I was wondering that too.
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Hopefully the person handling Kellogg's trademark issues doesn't look this place up after watching the CNBC piece and see that Over Easy is likely infringing upon Kellogg's registered trademark on the Pop-Tart brand. They have a "Homemade Pop Tart" on the menu.

http://www.overeasyomaha.com/?page_id=112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

I am unfortunately not the owner, but i was lucky enough like many projects in omaha to be a consultant on this one. And having done plenty of restaurants I know the ones who try harder than the others. In over Easy's case they do quite a bit for the local farmers and producers and really are helping lead the way towards cleaner more sustainable food. They also do breakfast in a fun eclectic way that people love. Local restaurants are important. They are the fabric of what omaha reflects. Omaha is on the brink of doing some really great things and while I'm sad to see places like caniglias die, it's time for new ideas to come into this market place.

As for the pop tart lawyers concerns... I'm sure he has bigger fish to fry. The homemade in front of the word excludes the infringement. But as I'm sure you did your homework on this matter before you started typing here are a few more places across the us that sell pop tarts and call them that. ;)

http://tedsbulletincapitolhill.com/brea ... pitol-hill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/864304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Cool story bro.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

... The Pop Tarts there are really good though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

onelocalfoods wrote:Is it because it's contemporary food and you don't understand how someone could do that to your favorite old style hash browns.  Because in this town.  There is no better.
No. It's because the place was so noisy we could hardly carry on a conversation. And because it took us ten minutes to be seated despite their being several empty tables. And because they don't know how to poach an egg. And because the portion size for the side of potatoes was laughable. Three small slices of potatoes. And because it took lots of effort to flag our waitress down for coffee refills, or to get the check.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

nativeomahan wrote:
onelocalfoods wrote:Is it because it's contemporary food and you don't understand how someone could do that to your favorite old style hash browns.  Because in this town.  There is no better.
No. It's because the place was so noisy we could hardly carry on a conversation.  And because it took us ten minutes to be seated despite their being several empty tables.  And because they don't know how to poach an egg.  And because the portion size for the side of potatoes was laughable.  Three small slices of potatoes. And because it took lots of effort to flag our waitress down for coffee refills, or to get the check.

Doesn't sound like a place I'd be interested in. Pass.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Keep positivity in your heart and it will reflect in your world.
You attract your alike.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NEDodger wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
No. It's because the place was so noisy we could hardly carry on a conversation.  And because it took us ten minutes to be seated despite their being several empty tables.  And because they don't know how to poach an egg.  And because the portion size for the side of potatoes was laughable.  Three small slices of potatoes. And because it took lots of effort to flag our waitress down for coffee refills, or to get the check.

Doesn't sound like a place I'd be interested in.   Pass.
Same here.Pass. Also heard it was a bit pricey.
No posts exist for this topic