Shirley's Diner

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Shirley's Diner

Post by Coyote »

I have never been disappointed eating here. This place was packed at 10:15 today. I had the Chicken Fried Steak, with hash browns and two eggs. Hash Browns were nice and buttery. There were 5 tables ahead of me as I entered, but was seated within a few minutes. Manager saw that my order had not been taken after sitting for a few minutes and came over and promised she would be there shortly. Nice West O breakfast dive, if you know how to find it!

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Never been there.  If I am ever looking for a breakfast place out west, I may need to check that out.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Never been there.  If I am ever looking for a breakfast place out west, I may need to check that out.
You have never been? For shame. It is one of W O's best! dives!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Oh my god, this place is still around? I went to this place all the time when I was kid... I completely forgot about it!

I'm going to go again soon, thanks Coyote!
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:Oh my god, this place is still around? I went to this place all the time when I was kid... I completely forgot about it!

I'm going to go again soon, thanks Coyote!
I surprised myself it was not on the top of my visit/revisit list.
I tend to judge every restaurant on how they deliver Hash Browns.
I judge all against Waffle House, the best ever!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:You have never been? For shame. It is one of W O's best! dives!
I guess there are Plenty of closer dives in East O?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I tend to judge every restaurant on how they deliver Hash Browns.
I judge all against Waffle House, the best ever!!!
I've eaten at Waffle House many times, most recently in JAX just before taking off. However, I'm drawing a blank on how they prepare the hashbrowns and if they are unusual, although I'm sure I've had them. LOL, my one co-worker down there keeps calling it "Awful House." :)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

@MadMartin8, if you are a fan of good hashbrowns, head to the Miracle Hills Cafe on 114th and try out their Gourmet Browns.   Very tasty.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Used to be a Shirley's downtown.  They serve a damn good lunch.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

joeglow wrote:Used to be a Shirley's downtown.  They serve a darn good lunch.
Where was that?
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Coyote wrote:
joeglow wrote:Used to be a Shirley's downtown.  They serve a darn good lunch.
Where was that?
19th or 20th (next to Manhattan's).
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Shirley's Diner

Post by jessep28 »

I ate there this morning for the first time. With the cold, people were opting to stay home, so it was very slow for a Sunday morning from what I was told. Anyways, I had your garden variety breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and pancakes. It was all excellent.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I just went there for the first time a few weeks ago. Parents were coming through town and we stopped in for breakfast. I was impressed, very good diner food.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Building permits for the now closed Pizza Hut at 13838 R Plz (138th and Q) have Shirley's Diner in the project description. They are likely moving from the strip mall next door to that building in the foreseeable future.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:Building permits for the now closed Pizza Hut at 13838 R Plz (138th and Q) have Shirley's Diner in the project description. They are likely moving from the strip mall next door to that building in the foreseeable future.

Even though lots of people out here in Millard love Shirley's Diner...........I ain't one of them! I do not like greasy spoon diners Sam I Am. What a disappointing development that is.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Great news!

I always kinda grit my teeth when I see the name of a good local place in the title, fearing "closed" or "closing" will be in the text. Expansion is most excellent news.

I would much rather have this than yet another over-exposed chain place move in.

On the other hand, AFAICR, none of the occupants in that building, other than Pizza Hut have been very long lived. I sure wish them luck and continued success!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There were a few businesses which stayed at that shopping plaza for quite a few years, but overall it mostly attracts short lived tenants. Maybe with old town Millard being redeveloped to the North, the SE corner of Millard Ave and Q may start getting more attention. It's clear that the landlords don't want to put any money into the buildings.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
jessep28 wrote:Building permits for the now closed Pizza Hut at 13838 R Plz (138th and Q) have Shirley's Diner in the project description. They are likely moving from the strip mall next door to that building in the foreseeable future.

Even though lots of people out here in Millard love Shirley's Diner...........I ain't one of them! I do not like greasy spoon diners Sam I Am. What a disappointing development that is.
It's for sure no Old Country Buffet.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

This is awesome news. More seating! The only thing the place lacked :)
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

jessep28 wrote:There were a few businesses which stayed at that shopping plaza for quite a few years, but overall it mostly attracts short lived tenants. Maybe with old town Millard being redeveloped to the North, the SE corner of Millard Ave and Q may start getting more attention. It's clear that the landlords don't want to put any money into the buildings.
The church that's in the building is the one one that owns it. To the SW the owners of Pizza Machine owe the plaza down to the Dollar General. It has been a few years but I always thought Shirley's had good food for brunch.