Saigon Bowl (replacing Blue Planet Natural Grill)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Saigon Bowl (replacing Blue Planet Natural Grill)

Post by garyomaha »

(I did a quick search and couldn't find a previous discussion of Blue Planet Natural Grill, although I'm sure the group discussed it.  Mods, please move this if appropriate.)

I received this in email from Blue Planet Natural Grill:

Saying Good Bye!

After five years of Blue Planet Natural Grill, we have decided to close our present location and focus on bringing our unique products to retail sales. We have enjoyed getting to know so many of you, and have learned a lot during this time, and we hope that we have helped many of you find that eating healthier can be an enjoyable experience!

Our last day open will be Sunday, December 16. Please come in and see us over the next week and a half, and please use up any gift cards that you may have. This is not a final "good bye" because we will be present in grocery stores here in Omaha, and hopefully soon many other places, and we have a feeling that it may not be too long before we are open for business as a restaurant in some form. We will keep in contact via email and Facebook, so please watch for product and business announcements. You can still communicate with us via email.

Thank you all for your support during these past five years! We will miss seeing you at the restaurant.

Tom Smith, owner
Dan Tweedy, manager
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I never ate there, but heard the food wasn't too good.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:I never ate there, but heard the food wasn't too good.
Same here.  Also that it was pretty exclusively fru-fru organic/natural blah blah blah.  If I want a salad, I will go to Greenbelly.  If I want a roast beef sandwich, I don't care that it was vegan fed kobe beef that were slaughtered while listening to the acoustic sounds of indigenous music.  Nor do I want to know where it was born, where it grew up, or that it was carved by a left handed butcher who was a personal friend of the Obamas.  I can pretty much handle the normal news of how cows turn into roast beef sandwiches, and don't want to deal with the fru-fru set.

(OK, feeding vegans to cows would be a cool.)

The people who ate there didn't like the food for the price, and they were unimpressed by the atmosphere.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I ate there once about 2 years ago. I thought the atmosphere was a little bland and the food was expensive and nothing worth noting. Never cared to return.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Never heard of this place.  Where is/was it?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

bigredmed wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I never ate there, but heard the food wasn't too good.
Same here.  Also that it was pretty exclusively fru-fru organic/natural blah blah blah.  If I want a salad, I will go to Greenbelly.  If I want a roast beef sandwich, I don't care that it was vegan fed kobe beef that were slaughtered while listening to the acoustic sounds of indigenous music.  Nor do I want to know where it was born, where it grew up, or that it was carved by a left handed butcher who was a personal friend of the Obamas.  I can pretty much handle the normal news of how cows turn into roast beef sandwiches, and don't want to deal with the fru-fru set.

The people who ate there didn't like the food for the price, and they were unimpressed by the atmosphere.

Running a restaurant is a difficult, time consuming business (70 hours a week, anyone?).  What on earth possessed you to post such a bitter,  politically-tinged rant that has nothing to do with the O.P.'s thank you to the community for their support?  You've even admitted that you'd never been there.  Real classy.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

icejammer wrote:Never heard of this place.  Where is/was it?
To the southeast of Aksarben Village on Center St. There's a beauty salon and some other businesses in a modestly modern looking strip with some offices or residences over the top.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

To the left on this pic, under Studio Salon:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate there maybe 5 or 6 times.  The food ranged from just okay to very good.  They have a great selection of ketchups, which might have been the best thing they had going.  The pizzas were also good.  But the burgers were too dry for my tastes.
I agree with Ricko that running a restaurant is a very difficult job, with long hours.  Talent is no guarantee of success.  You also need a lot of luck.
I wish the owners success in their future ventures.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I didn't love the place but ate there occasionally.  I particularly like the turkey burger and pizza.  However, I'm not surprised with the closing.  I noticed "cost cutting" within the last year.  And yes, the restaurant business is tough.  Still, with this concept of restaurant (and more importantly) with the targeted clientele you shouldn't get the feeling that much of the food sourcing came from a large distributor such as Sysco or US Foods as I suspect it did with Blue Planet.  If everything was sourced local and organic, & etc., the prices wouldn't have been too out of line.  If they have some hope of re-opening in a restaurant form in the future, I hope the concept it tweaked considerably rather than finding a space with lower rent.

bigredmed wrote:Same here.  Also that it was pretty exclusively fru-fru organic/natural blah blah blah.  If I want a salad, I will go to Greenbelly.  If I want a roast beef sandwich, I don't care that it was vegan fed kobe beef that were slaughtered while listening to the acoustic sounds of indigenous music.  Nor do I want to know where it was born, where it grew up, or that it was carved by a left handed butcher who was a personal friend of the Obamas.  I can pretty much handle the normal news of how cows turn into roast beef sandwiches, and don't want to deal with the fru-fru set.

Well you represent a shrinking majority.  There are in fact a growing number of people who do care about the source of their food.  Crazy liberals (no doubt) who think that one's health and well being could fall so close to what one puts in their body.  Crazy, that I avoid processed "foods" with little to no nutritional value or produce treated with chemicals that make me physically ill upon ingesting only small by products.  Crazier, still that I don't want my 9 year old daughter to start menstruating and precociously develop physically because of the growth hormones injected into livestock.  

Also, there's nothing "fru fru" about vegan and organic, rather it's about simplicity and quality.  Now beer fed hand massaged kobe beef, you could call fru fru but there's nothing like that at Blue Planet.

Way to own the backwards Nebraska cowtown stereotype. :thumb:
Brad
City Council

Re: Blue Planet Natural Grill closing

Post by Brad »

Sign was coming down this morning.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Blue Planet Natural Grill closing

Post by Coyote »

Saigon Bowl will be replacing Blue Planet. A sister project of Saigon Surface, it will offer Vietnamese "fresh food fast", a concept that is not fast food, but all of their items will be made to order.
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Saigon Bowl (replacing Blue Planet Natural Grill)

Post by nativeomahan »

That sounds fantastic. They should do very, very well so close to Ak Village.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My wife was telling me about this the other day. We still haven't been to Saigon surface yet either. Even had a living social or groupon but never went.
OMATOL
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OMATOL »

This is awesome if true! We love the original Saigon out west. Saigon Surface, on the other hand, has been so so in our visits.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

OMATOL wrote:This is awesome if true! We love the original Saigon out west. Saigon Surface, on the other hand, has been so so in our visits.
I will say this for Surface though, it has a good banh mi. The original Saigon never has banh mi, but the vermicelli bowls and clay pots are amazing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe Saigon Bowl opened today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was at a special event last night at Saigon Bowl where I met the owners Tu and Rob, and really enjoyed our experience there. With the Motto "Fast Food made Fresh" they are trying to create a restaurant where you can get a quick meal (to stay or to go), but still is quality ingredients and as authentic to Vietnamese street food as possible. Tu compared this business model to Chipotle's and hopes to franchise this model around town. We were able to create our own bowls, plenty of sauces available from peanut, to aioli, to Srirachi. Even the fried tofu was enjoyable. I will have to return to see what it is like during real business hours...

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Closed.
It will now become an Asian restaurant: The Mandarin.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Edit
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Coyote wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am Closed.
It will now become an Assin restairant: The Miranda.
Get your assin here. Eat. Get your assout.

I like that concept.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

ricko wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:08 pm
Coyote wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am Closed.
It will now become an Assin restairant: The Miranda.
Get your assin here. Eat. Get your assout.

I like that concept.
I so wanted to say something, but then I looked it up, and though; “It could possibly be an ethnic Ghana restaurant.” and let it go. :lol:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assin
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I absolutely love Vietnamese food, but I never liked the Saigon Bowl concept.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

The Mandarin now open in Saigon Bowl's former location: https://mandarinasiancuisine.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube]
[/youtube]
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I heard The Mandarin has closed. Can anyone confirm?