The (Original) Goldberg's

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

The (Original) Goldberg's

Post by Coyote »

Since Goldberg's was n the list of popular Omaha hamburgers I decided to try them out myself. I ordered their Bleu Burger (Blue Cheese dressing, carmelized onions and mushrooms) and it was great. I arrived at 2 pm and almost all the booths were taken, people were coming in even at 3 pm. Had the Goose Island 10 Hills Pale Ale (which was just released 4 days ago), but their tap selection was minimal. I'd come back to try another burger there.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That's awesome they have Goose Island on tap. It's a popular brand of craft beer here in Chicago as it's local, delicious, and they have two brewpubs, but I've only found it on tap at one restaurant outside of the Chicago area.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Hmmmmm ... I always thought the one in Dundee was the original one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:Hmmmmm ... I always thought the one in Dundee was the original one.
Me too?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Omababe wrote:Hmmmmm ... I always thought the one in Dundee was the original one.
Me too?
Hence Goldberg's in Dundee.
The one on 132nd has been there since 1972 (?) when Bakers Square was built (?)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:
Me too?
Hence Goldberg's in Dundee.
The one on 132nd has been there since 1972 (?) when Bakers Square was built (?)
Building was built in 79.

Not saying your wrong, I could have been assuming wrong all these years...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Are the two owned by different people?  The http://www.goldbergsindundee.com website has no mention of the West Omaha location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:roll:

I guess I should have posted this:

The title Original is on the entrance door, the menus, on the wall, just about everywhere...
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

The Dundee location was a Pefferoni's up until at least the mid-80s. And The Bakers in Baker's Square was built well before ’79 as I went there with my parents before I was old enough to drive. But maybe the part of the center housing Goldberg's wasn't part of the original structure. Plus as I think about it more, my college friends and I actually frequented both Pefferoni's in Dundee and the 132nd and Center Goldberg's. So the Center Street location definitely pre-dates the Goldberg's in Dundee.

Now a question for Coyote. Which was the older of the two (at the time) Sortino's? The 72nd and Pacific location or the West L location. I don't think UNO is quite the same school since Sortino's on 72nd sadly left us.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Guy4Omaha. I think I laughed a mouthful of beer on you at Pefferoni's in a visit in 1979-80?
Yes there was a crew of us that frequented Pefferoni's in the early 80's
The UNO Student Government went there after meetings,
I remember reconvening (as the Speaker of the Student Senate) a meeting there once.

As for the 72nd St. Sortino's... Sandy Buda would buy us pitchers of beer there all the time.
It was a big UNO hangout in the late 70's and early 80's.
IIRC - the L street was his brother's place. I never visited that place
the 72nd place was the only hangout to go to at that time.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

According to the assessor's website, all the parcels at 13215 W. Center Rd. were built in 74, with the exception of Chipotle.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:That's awesome they have Goose Island on tap. It's a popular brand of craft beer here in Chicago as it's local, delicious, and they have two brewpubs, but I've only found it on tap at one restaurant outside of the Chicago area.
There are a ton of places with Goose Island on tap in Nebraska.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

But wasn't Goose Island bought out by Anheuser-Busch?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Back in the 80's we went to both Pefferonies and Sortino's all the time.  We would go to the benson of Pefferonies where the waiting room is now.  We also went to the 72nd Street Sortinos.  Remember when it turned to Bob Hansens's varsity pizza for a little bit before it closed and then burnt down.  

Sortinos's had a weird angle to it too because it backed up to the Chicago Northwestern Railroad tracks which are now gone too...

My family still gets together at the Sortinos on L every once in a while.  My high school home room teacher is still bartending up there.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote: Sortinos's had a weird angle to it too because it backed up to the Chicago Northwestern Railroad tracks which are now gone too...

My family still gets together at the Sortinos on L every once in a while.  My high school home room teacher is still bartending up there.
I love Sortinos just because it is SO Omaha, the pizza isn't that great but the atmosphere is always hilarious when I go there.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I grew up a few blocks from 132nd & Center...Goldberg's has always been there since that shopping center was built. (So if the records say 1974, go with that. I was still in elementary school at that time.)  A few years after it opened, there was a fire in there, and they expanded out onto the sidewalk in front. I never realized when they reopened since they used tinted glass as part of the remodeling.

Goldberg's in Dundee opened shortly after the Chicago Bar closed down at 33rd & Dodge in the middle '90s.  A third Goldberg's opened a few years later at 168th & Center, but that only lasted a short while and was eventually bought by Clancy's.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Brad wrote:Sortinos's had a weird angle to it too because it backed up to the Chicago Northwestern Railroad tracks which are now gone too...
Attaboy, Brad!  My kind of post.  Mention something train-related in the dining thread!   :D
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Re: The (Original) Goldberg's

Post by BPHusker »

How long ago was there a Sortinos on 72nd and Pacific? Where was it? Just curious... :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BPHusker wrote:How long ago was there a Sortinos on 72nd and Pacific? Where was it? Just curious... :)
There was a strip mall on the SE corner of 72nd and Pacific that had Sortinos, a UNO hangout during the late 70's. Great place (for students) to hang out.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BPHusker wrote:How long ago was there a Sortinos on 72nd and Pacific? Where was it? Just curious... :)
I was born in 78 and I remember going there so I bet it lasted in to the mid to late 80's.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did this “Original Location” (132 & Center) go out of business?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Did this “Original Location” (132 & Center) go out of business?
Just called them up... Open till 11 food till 10.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good to hear!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I ate lunch there a couple of months ago in August and they were alive and well..

I remember when I was 16 years old. I walked into this Goldberg’s and ordered a burger, fries and a beer..and they served me all 3 things..and I could have easily passed as 14..true story which happened in 1978..

This is a happenstance which, of course, would never occur for a baby faced 16 year old kid in 2017 :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote:
I was born in 78 and I remember going there so I bet it lasted in to the mid to late 80's.
Johnny Sortino closed it down about 1983ish. A former UNO basketball coach (can't remember his name, I detest basketball) tried to run it for a while until someone paid for a fire (!) about 1985ish and that was that. First Data bought the land and the former C&NW right of way and the rest is history.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

damonhynes wrote:
Brad wrote:
Johnny Sortino closed it down about 1983ish. A former UNO basketball coach (can't remember his name, I detest basketball) tried to run it for a while until someone paid for a fire (!) about 1985ish and that was that. First Data bought the land and the former C&NW right of way and the rest is history.
I recall the Sortino's in the mid to late 80's. At which point it became an Austin's steakhouse.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:I recall the Sortino's in the mid to late 80's. At which point it became an Austin's steakhouse.
I believe you are a little off... Two Different Sortino's

On the EAST side of 72nd Street was Johnny Sortino's. When it closed it because Bob Hansen's Varsity Pizza. It didn't last long and caught on fire. It was about where Bed Bath and Beyond is now.

On The WEST side of 72nd Street was Austin's and when it closed it became Sammy Sortino's. It didn't last long. It was just north of the Ranch Bowl where Walmart is now.