Frank's Pizza

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Frank's Pizza

Post by Coyote »

I had a Stromboli (Sausage, Peppers, Onions, Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Mozzarella Served w/Sauce) at Frank's this afternoon and it was great. You could tell everything was fresh. Joe, the owner (Frank's son) and I talked for quite some time about pizza in Omaha, and his take of neopolitan pizza. He makes his dough two days in advance to make sure everything blends together, and stone cooks his pizza. He talked about other NY Style pizza's and said if he couldn't have his own he would go to Dante's.

Also talked about how Sam and Louie's spun off of Don Carmelo's when they couldn't afford using his name, and that Zio's spun off of Sam and Louie's, so they are basically the same recipes. Joe is a great guy, plays a lot of good golf, so I will have to go back to try their pizza (You can only buy it by the slice until 2:00)

The only down side was that there were only two beers on tap, Peroni and a Blue Moon, and mostly regular bottles.

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Hasn't Zio's been around longer than Sam & Louies?   Not sure if Zio got their recipe from them or not.  I knew about the Sam & Louies and Don Carmelo's franchise fall out.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Maybe Don Carmelo's was around a long time before they reached my radar, but it seems to me that Zio's predates don Carmelo's by a decade or more. I am just having a hard time believing Zio's got their recipe from Don Carmelo's. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe Don Carmelo's split off from Zio's?
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Zio's dates back nearly 30 years, if I remember correctly.  I don't know when Carmelo's opened, but it was just a hole in a wall just west of Mutual of Omaha in the early 90's.  It didn't start expanding until about 15-20 years ago.  I suspect it's not the same ownership now as it was 20 years ago.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

guy4omaha wrote:Maybe Don Carmelo's was around a long time before they reached my radar, but it seems to me that Zio's predates don Carmelo's by a decade or more. I am just having a hard time believing Zio's got their recipe from Don Carmelo's. Maybe it's the other way around. Maybe Don Carmelo's split off from Zio's?
My pizza memory puts Zio's first, then Carmelo's, with Sam & Louies the newest as well.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Zio's has been around forever.  At least 30 years.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:Zio's has been around forever.  At least 30 years.
Their first location opened in 1985 at the Beverly Hills Plaza at 79th and Dodge.
nebport5
Planning Board

Re: Frank's Pizza

Post by nebport5 »

On second thought, Frank's is very mediocre. Yes the crust is great, but that's where it stops. Great crust is nothing if you can't execute the rest of the pie consistently, which has been my experience. Pepperoni extremely greasy, way too much cheese that creates a soggy mess. All the toppings shouldn't come off when you tear a piece off. I don't doubt that some have had good pies here, but why chance it on the possibility that the owner has to be around. Why anyone would call such an inconsistent place "the best" is beyond me. Zio's is more consistent than Frank's. Give me Zio's toppings on Frank's crust and we might have something special.

*update*

Gave Frank's another try. This time dining in and it was more worthy of the hype. I'd definitely go back if in the area, but still wouldn't order a pie to go.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Looks like they are open or opening very soon (sign is on) at Twin Creek in Bellevue. A former Sam and Louie's location.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Looks like they are open or opening very soon (sign is on) at Twin Creek in Bellevue. A former Sam and Louie's location.

Greg
I didn't realize that Sam and Louie's closed.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Greg S wrote:Looks like they are open or opening very soon (sign is on) at Twin Creek in Bellevue. A former Sam and Louie's location.

Greg
There's only two Sam and Louie's left in Omaha now. If the Sam and Louie's in Bellevue was like the one on Blondo, I'm not surprised. The food is still good, but the service is horrible.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Padre wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

Greg
There's only two Sam and Louie's left in Omaha now. If the Sam and Louie's in Bellevue was like the one on Blondo, I'm not surprised. The food is still good, but the service is horrible.
I’ve had Sam and Louie’s pizza several times. It’s not bad..but for my taste, only mediocre at best. The crust is about as flavorful as cardboard in my opinion..

Not a surprise that it seems to be phasing it’s way out in the Omaha pizza market...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Padre wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

Greg
Blondo went downhill after Joel (?) Left a couple years ago.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Padre wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:

Greg
Looking at their webpage, the number of non Omaha locations seems lower too.

I’ve had Sam and Louie’s pizza several times. It’s not bad..but for my taste, only mediocre at best. The crust is about as flavorful as cardboard in my opinion..

Not a surprise that it seems to be phasing it’s way out in the Omaha pizza market...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm Frank's in Bellevue closed:

http://www.omaha.com/omahadines/bellevu ... ec748.html

Greg
That didn't last long.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

It's also a pretty poor location.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

THe OWH mentioned that the manage partners of the Bellevue location divorced and left the business.

http://omaha.com/omahadines/bellevue-lo ... ec748.html
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 am THe OWH mentioned that the manage partners of the Bellevue location divorced and left the business.

I saw that. It's right by my office. I can say it was dead every time I went in there. Most of the time I would pick up stuff to go, there was usually one one other customer there.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am
nebugeater wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 am THe OWH mentioned that the manage partners of the Bellevue location divorced and left the business.

I saw that. It's right by my office. I can say it was dead every time I went in there. Most of the time I would pick up stuff to go, there was usually one one other customer there.

Greg
I am sure it i much more than the managing partner leaving. If it was a roaring success just hire another manager.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The original owner of 132nd, Joe, sold the business. Was the Bellevue store the same management as the 132nd?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:17 am
Greg S wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

Greg
I am sure it i much more than the managing partner leaving. If it was a roaring success just hire another manager.
And, sometimes the cause of divorce is business issues.

Honestly, that Bellevue location is really poor. It's also right across the street from Roman Coin and down the street from Lansky's. So, you're coming into an area with several pizza joints. Then, you did almost zero advertising. I live in Papillion and really didn't even know it was there. A couple of times, I saw something on the electronic billboard on 36th and 370. It would cross my mind that I should try it, and then I'd forget again. Out of sight, out of mind. You can't see the location from 370 like you can with Roman Coin, Lansky's, Sinful Burger, Ixtapa, Godfathers, and the fast food chains in that area. You can barely even see it from 36th St. if you are driving North/South. It's just a really secluded location in a poorly planned and relatively infrequented strip mall.

You have to have a really exceptional product to get past these issues.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Grand Opening.
Grand Closing.
Do people not go into these business ventures with their eyes open? The location wasn’t great, but with some solid advertising they should have been able to succeed, as their pizza is IMO far superior to either Lansky’s or Roman Coin. But you need to let people know you exist, as no one “drives by” that dead end location.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Agreed. Product is way above average at Frank's, however marketing and advertising is non exsistant. Their facebook page posts useless pizza trivia twice a week with never a picture of their food. Those platforms are worthless if you dont know how to stimulate and audience.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The 132nd store never advertises. I just tried it out after a doctor visit nearby. Hyvee was there got my ad items and lunch all at the same time. Otherwise I'd have not tried it.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Frank's Pizzeria

Post by ChadJK »

I had lunch at Frank's Pizzeria in Main Street Plaza in Ralston (actually, isn't the east side of 72nd street technically Omaha?) today. I was looking at the locations section on their menu and didn't realize they had grown to so many locations (the Bellevue one was listed as "Opening Soon"):

West Omaha
711 N 132nd St, Omaha, NE 68154

Ralston
5413 S 72nd St Ste 116, Omaha, NE 68127

Downtown Omaha (Capitol District)
1170 Capitol Ave, Omaha, NE 68102

Bellevue (inside "The Alley")
601 Chateau Dr, Bellevue, NE 68005

Gretna (Nebraska Crossing)
21209 Nebraska Crossing Dr, Gretna, NE 68028
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Joe should have expanded instead of selling. Frank's is still good, but Joe ran it better. I can't remember his last name.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Frank's in the capital district sucks. You get a 3 hour old slice out of one of those rotating glass displays. I will not go back