Cancun (El Parian/Maria Sangria)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Re: Maria Sangria

Post by guy4omaha »

Ebburkrevus wrote:Ate at this joint last year. The food was terrible, but we had a Groupon.

Drove by a few weekends ago and it was closed. Drove by again last week and it was open, but dead.

Close it down for good.
Worst three meals of my life were here. Gave them three chances and they were consistent.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maria Sangria takes its appeal to Lincoln
KETV wrote:Omaha City Attorney Tom Muumgard questioned that and dozens of Facebook posts promoting events in violation of Maria Sangria's license. Scalise said she didn't post them. "I never promoted them," Scalise said. Some of the commissioners were openly incredulous.

"You say you don't know about a lot of these, but if people show up at your place for these, what do you do? What have you done? Have you let them in?" asked Jaince Wiebusch. "Yes, they come into my business, but that don't mean I promote it," Scalise said.

The Liquor Control Commission could have a decision within the next five to 10 days.
What a defense! :roll:
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

María may be the owner but, as everyone is aware, this business is run by Maria's son, the family restaurant is just a cover for him in order to keep running a club.
Maria opened the restaurant with the help or her sister, who moved here from Spain a couple of years ago. Her son used to work ans Denim & Diamonds.
I don't know if her son convinced María to open the family restaurant in that location so he could keep running a club or just took advantage of her. Either way that place is just a club dressed-up as a family restaurant.
In my opinion the food is ok (there are not too many places to choose in Omaha), and even at one point it was great because they had a real chef from Spain, but this guy only stayed in Omaha for several months.
As Spaniard living abroad, I like sometimes to go to Spanish restaurants, it makes me feel less homesick. However, being in Maria Sangria didn't have that effect because I does not feel like a Spanish restaurant, it is more like a Salsa / Hip-hop club where you can eat paella. Weird.
Just for the record, if anytime you go to Chicago by car, there is a place in Davenport called "100 montaditos". It is a real Spanish restaurant chain that has recently started to settle in the USA. Most of the franchises are in the East coast but surprisingly there is one in Davenport.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not to deviate, but what is your opinion on Espana then?
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

Far better than Maria Sangria, but slightly overpriced in my opinion.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

action3news retweeted
Jake Wasikowski ‏@jakewasikowski 14m14 minutes ago
The NE Liquor Control Commission upholds the cancellation of Maria Sangria's liquor license. Details at 5pm.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Someone told me this place has finally closed. Has anyone been by to verify this?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:Someone told me this place has finally closed. Has anyone been by to verify this?
Since they no longer have a liquor license and have never made food their revenue source, I woud be surprised if Maria Sangria lasted more than a few days after that judgement.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Someone told me this place has finally closed. Has anyone been by to verify this?
Since they no longer have a liquor license and have never made food their revenue source, I woud be surprised if Maria Sangria lasted more than a few days after that judgement.
Their 'dining' area consisted of maybe 4 or 5 booths next to a serving window in the kitchen, while the other 90% or so of the space was dedicated to the bar and dance floor.

I still feel that a bar in this location should be nixed altogether and maybe store or salon would do well here.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The city revoking their occupancy permit probably hurt business as well.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

City council voted 7-0 again to revoke their occupancy permit. The first vote was invalidated by a judge because the council didn't give them enough notice. Of course they are going to appeal.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Here's hoping it's the last, last, last straw.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Mari ... 99051.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If you look at the photos for MeanStreetsOma on Twitter, I guess someone who organized or had a part in the New Years Eve party at Maria Sangria posted a picture on their publicly accessible Facebook page from the event with Nick Scalise in it. There is a restriction on Maria Sangria's liquor license banning Nick Scalise from the property.

Hopefully the court or whoever is ruling on their appeals cancels the stay or whatever is keeping Maria Sangra's liquor license and occupancy permit cancellations from going into effect.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

No doubt. It's ridiculous how they are flagrantly defying everything. Time to boot these losers.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Why is it still open to begin with? Didn't the City Council revoke their certificate of occupancy?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

bbinks wrote:Why is it still open to begin with?  Didn't the City Council revoke their certificate of occupancy?
Maria Sangria's liquor license and occupancy permit are both revoked. The revocations are not allowed to go into effect while Maria Sangria is appealing.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Just sit back and wait. They won't last much longer.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

It may not last much longer, but the city and state have had a lot of expense in shutting this place down. I hope that we have the mechanism in place to recoup that expense from the owners.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This has got to end! Why won't the landlord cancel their lease for being a nuisance? Who is the landlord?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:This has got to end!  Why won't the landlord cancel their lease for being a nuisance?  Who is the landlord?
I was wondering the same thing. I am guessing its a hard space to lease so they are not in a hurry to toss them out.

That said, I think a row of small shops would be a lot better than one big club.

Owner:
CLF LANDMARK OMAHA LLC
1065 AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS
NEW YORK CITY NY 10018-0000
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Whatever legal order that was keeping them open during the appeals process has been reversed by a judge. The bar/restaurant will be in violation of building code and cited if they open. This was not a ruling on their current appeal.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:Whatever legal order that was keeping them open during the appeals process has been reversed by a judge. The bar/restaurant will be in violation of building code and cited if they open. This was not a ruling on their current appeal.
:cheers:

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

After long battle, Old Market bar will be shut down immediately
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:But after a Jan. 1 shooting at 11th and Harney Streets, Deputy City Attorney Tom Mumgaard asked Douglas County District Court Judge Gregory Schatz to end the injunction.

Schatz did so Friday, saying that the “peace and safety of the public outweigh” the potential harmful effects to the business of closing it.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Racism complaint expected in 3...2...1...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

NEDodger wrote:Racism complaint expected in 3...2...1...

No!! Oh god.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Heard the report on KETV this morning.

From now on, all people accusing someone of racism should have to provide hard testable facts or be banned from all mass communication.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:Heard the report on KETV this morning.

From now on, all people accusing someone of racism should have to provide hard testable facts or be banned from all mass communication.
Did they already start with the racism claims?

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Start? Its been an ongoing claim ever since their first incident...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:Start? Its been an ongoing claim ever since their first incident...

Oh of course it has.

"You only investigate our shootings because we're from Spain."

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"There's a white establishment next door and you never investigate those guys"
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If Maria Sangria is unfairly being targeted, then violence should continue to be a problem with the bar closed.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:

KETV reported a new racism charge this am.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

KETV reported a new racism charge this am.
There it is!!

The Bride
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:If Maria Sangria is unfairly being targeted, then violence should continue to be a problem with the bar closed.
Sounds like a reasonable test to me.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Seth wrote:
jessep28 wrote:If Maria Sangria is unfairly being targeted, then violence should continue to be a problem with the bar closed.
Sounds like a reasonable test to me.
Haven't heard anything about violence since sooooo...

The Bride
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

New Mexican bar & Grill will be opening in the Space. I didn't catch the name but it's posted outside the entrance.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:New Mexican bar & Grill will be opening in the Space. I didn't catch the name but it's posted outside the entrance.
This makes me very nervous. Is there a new owner?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think this place would be better off as something other than a restaurant.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

RNcyanide wrote:I think this place would be better off as something other than a restaurant.
A gun range? :D
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

:lol:

No, it didn't work well as that last time.

The Bride