Dickey's BBQ Pit (multiple metro locations)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Dickey's BBQ Pit (multiple metro locations)

Post by Brad »

According to Grow Omaha Dickies BBQ Pit is going in to the old Maggie Moos at 122nd and Center in the Westwood Plaza.

http://www.dickeys.com/
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Dickies BBQ Pit (122 & West Center)

Post by nativeomahan »

Didn't Dickie's open (then close) in SW Omaha a few years back?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Didn't Dickie's open (then close) in SW Omaha a few years back?
I guess it did at 144th and F, but I sure don't remember that.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Didn't Dickie's open (then close) in SW Omaha a few years back?

I am pretty sure it was open for a few months in the location where Cilantros is currently
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:
Brad wrote:

I am pretty sure it was open for a few months in the location where Cilantros is currently

That is the correct location. I think they were open about a year. They have had a Lincoln loation this whole time.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I'm not sure if a comeback will make a difference. Red Robin was once in Crossroads and closed up, only to come back into the market about 10 years later.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I think Dickey's was open for about 2 years or so. That 144th & F location (now Cilantro's) should have been good, and I suspect that it would be better than 122nd & Center.

Never tried it in Omaha, though I've had some catered Dickey's in Minnesota and Wisconsin. It's not bad, but nothing to get excited over either. Now, if one of the big KC joints tries to expand to Omaha (Fiorella's, Oklahoma Joes, perhaps Gates), that's something entirely different. And Oklahoma Joes has already said they're done expanding.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.sys-con.com/node/2990541
The nation's largest barbecue franchise is expanding its reach in the Omaha market. With the first area location opened earlier this month by franchisee Joe Nguyen, Dickey's Barbecue Restaurants has plans to expand with seven additional locations slated to open later this year.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Dickey's BBQ Pit (122 & West Center)

Post by Coyote »

Dickey's had a soft opening a few weeks ago, and is now open for business...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Two questions:

1. Do they have feather bones?
2. Compared to Parker's, are they better, worse, comparable?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Any word on the good here yet? I am not a big BBQ person so I can't be a good judge here.
Burnt ends?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I don't believe they had burnt ends....

Meh, chain BBQ. Not bad, but certainly not anything special. I would say go to Ozark down the street before here. I didn't try much besides the brisket, but I was intrigued by several of their other options - smoked turkey, their smoked sausage had cheddar cheese in it, etc.

I was there 1st week, and service was atrocious, with 8 people ahead of me in line, it took 15+ mins to get food. I chalked that up to being new though, and just not having learned the processes yet.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Ben wrote:I don't believe they had burnt ends....

Meh, chain BBQ.  Not bad, but certainly not anything special.  I would say go to Ozark down the street before here.   I didn't try much besides the brisket, but I was intrigued by several of their other options - smoked turkey, their smoked sausage had cheddar cheese in it, etc.

I was there 1st week, and service was atrocious, with 8 people ahead of me in line, it took 15+ mins to get food.  I chalked that up to being new though, and just not having learned the processes yet.
So recommending that I go to Ozark before this place is like saying it should be avoided like a plague. Ozark is terrible BBQ. How it has stayed open all these years is a puzzle to me.

BTW, just had ribs at Hartland BBQ in Benson again last night. Mighty tasty rack. Their homemade sweet sauce was a waste of time. They dont come without the sauce cooked into them, so I won't be going back often, and will always rank them lower than places that do offer ribs dry (or naked as they are sometimes called.)

Thanks for the tip.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was OK for Fast Food, but nothing spectacular... I was disappointed I drove right past Ozark BBQ to get to this place.

1. Dining Room

2. 3 Meat Plate
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Brad wrote:I drove right past Ozark BBQ to get to this place.
Wise choice no matter how bad Dickey's was.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I feel like I did a disservice to this forum by not commenting previously. This place is not good.
Last edited by Linkin5 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I went here a couple weeks ago. It seemed like they were still working on employee training, and had quite a line out the door.

It was a decent sandwich, but not good BBQ. Same goes for Famous Dave's. They have good food, but not good as far as BBQ goes. I was born and raised in the southwest. I'm still looking for good Mexican dining. I've tried many places. Some have good food, but not good authentic food.

I see Dickey's as a fast food place that has a veiled attempt at BBQ.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bbinks wrote:Same goes for Famous Dave's.
I'm not trying to say Famous Daves is the most genuine real BBQ, but to compare these two is a not fair, Famous Daves is way better.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Linkin5 wrote:
bbinks wrote:Same goes for Famous Dave's.
I'm not trying to say Famous Daves is the most genuine real BBQ, but to compare these two is a not fair, Famous Daves is way better.
Very true. But Famous Daves compared to what used to be Amarillos's in Bellevue, Jim's or Skeets locally, or anyplace in Memphis is not saying much for Famous Daves.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Famous Dave's is Terrible chain food.

I just asked a question over in the BBQ Thread. http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 1&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

As far as chain food goes, I would say Famous Daves is actually one of the better ones, they don't microwave and fry everything like a Applebees.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I read somewhere that Dickeys does not smoke any of their meat on site. It is precooked and delivered to each location. Reason enough not to set foot in the place.
snidersus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by snidersus »

We are from Texas and when home choose Dickeys for BBQ. We were so excited to see the familiar Dickies yellow van yesterday and plan on checking it out for lunch today. As much as we love Omaha, you just can't get the same BBQ or Mexican food that we have in Texas. If someone knows different, I would love to stand corrected- and please don't say Cilantros! That's the worst excuse for Mexican food we have ever experienced :?
snidersus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by snidersus »

Just saw post about not smoking meat on site....I know they for sure do at locations we frequent in Dallas area
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

There is a difference between wood and electric smoking. I don't think they wood smoke, but I may be wrong.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Off topic...but Rivera's has excellent Mexican food. Just as good as anything I've had in Texas.
Ryan_Huskers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan_Huskers »

There appears to be another Dickey's BBQ Pit going in the strip mall in front of Hy-Vee on the SW corner of 156th & Maple. Just a couple bays west of 7M Grill. The sign is up on both sides of the building, but there appears to still be work going on inside.

According to their website, this location is "Coming Soon".
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ryan_Huskers wrote:There appears to be another Dickey's BBQ Pit going in the strip mall in front of Hy-Vee on the SW corner of 156th & Maple.   Just a couple bays west of 7M Grill.   The sign is up on both sides of the building, but there appears to still be work going on inside.

According to their website, this location is "Coming Soon".
I saw that yesterday and was going to look into this. I didn't think it was open yet, and I didn't see it a few weeks ago, but I wasn't looking for it.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

They are also headed to Twin Creek in Bellevue.
https://www.dickeys.com/locations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Retired Oil Engineer Opens Dickey's Barbecue Pit In Omaha
Newest Nebraska location opens with giveaways and $2 sandwiches

On Thursday, June 12 at 11 a.m., the Swifts will open the first of four Dickey's Barbecue Pits they have planned for the Omaha area. To celebrate their new endeavor, the new Omaha location is hosting a three-day grand opening celebration.

"The people of Omaha are hardworking which reminds me of my hometown in East Texas where hickory style slow smoked barbecue is a staple," said first time owner Steve Swift. "Linda and I love barbecue and are excited about moving to Omaha to bring more Dickey's Barbecue Pits to the area."

Their restaurant is located at 15825 West Maple Road, Suite 107 and the store phone number is 402.408.2878. Check out all the details on this new location on Facebook.

Thursday, the first 50 guests will receive a gift card for up to $50. Friday, radio station KAT 103.7 will be onsite from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and this location will be serving $2 pulled pork barbecue sandwiches. Also, one lucky winner will be chosen for a $500 gift card and three winners will receive free barbecue for an entire year. Saturday, the new Dickey's Barbecue Pit will offer all day merchandise giveaways.

Dickey's Barbecue was founded by Travis Dickey with the goal of authentic slow smoked barbecue. More than 73 years later, the Dallas-based family-run barbecue franchise still offers a quality selection of signature meats, home style sides, tangy barbecue sauce and free kids meals every Sunday. All meats are slow smoked onsite in each restaurant. The fast-casual family-friendly concept has expanded to over 400 locations in 40 states and holds the title of the world's largest barbecue franchise. This year Technomic named Dickey's "Fastest-growing restaurant in the country" and they were also named "Best Franchise Deal" by QSR Magazine.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I haven't tried Dickey's yet. Mostly because absolutely no one I know who has been there liked their food.
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BIG-T »

There food is okay not the best well I'll say that from the food I've had at the center street location. Now I will give the new location a try I hope its better than my last time.

It seems like when a Dickey's opens they do the giveaways and the food discounts.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Dickey's is opening in the Manawa Center in CB. In the Old River Pizza location. I don't eat BBQ often so won't go. I do like Hog Stop in CB.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

EastCB wrote:Dickey's is opening in the Manawa Center in CB. In the Old River Pizza location. I don't eat BBQ often so won't go. I do like Hog Stop in CB.

When did Old River Pizza Close?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Old River Pizza closed in September last year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The CB location of Dickey's will be their 4th in the metro. We went to the one in Bellevue a few weeks ago, and it was really good. They keep having coupons in the paper that can be used at any location for a free sandwich if you buy a sandwich, 2 sides and a drink.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Old River Pizza closed in September last year.

Thanks

Didn't remember hearing that. Always thought that place was decent when I worked on the Nebr side of the river and ran over for lunch once in a while.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

They have had a "Coming Soon" sign up for at least 4 months in the new Gordmans building in Aksarben Village. However there has been absolutely no sign of any remodeling taking place in the bay.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Dickey's is finally open in Aksarben Village. They are having $2 pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow (11/13) from 11 am - 1 pm.

This is their 5th in the metro and 12th in the state of Nebraska. Iowa only has the one in CB. Kinda surprised that Des Moines doesn't have any.
Brad
City Council

Re: Dickey's BBQ Pit (multiple metro locations)

Post by Brad »

Like I mentioned in another thread, Dickey's is totally À la carte now. Basically same food as before, but at a 20%-25% higher cost...