Summer Kitchen - Sterling Ridge

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Summer Kitchen - Sterling Ridge

Post by Brad »

Trenton from the Grow Omaha Radio Show heard a Rumor that the Summer Kitchen at 129th and Maple is moving to a new space in Sterling Ridge.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Summer Kitchen - Sterling Ridge

Post by bigredmed »

Hope they have some items that are less Gut-bomb franchise restaurant quality. I have been there three times since 1991 and that was three times more than I needed. Besides, if they move there, they are inside the wire for the Orthodox community, so they could start serving some nice Challah bread french toast, and other tastiness from the Jewish food tradition. We will see if this comes to pass.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bigredmed wrote:Besides, if they move there, they are inside the wire for the Orthodox community
Wow, I didn't even know they practiced this in Omaha. Shows how much out of the loop I've been. :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Temple Israel is a Reformed Jewish Community. Chabad House on south 120th observes Sabbath Halacha laws, they are close enough to the Bagel Bin.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Temple Israel is a Reformed Jewish Community.
"Reform", no "d'" :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omababe wrote:
Coyote wrote:Temple Israel is a Reformed Jewish Community.
"Reform", no "d'" :)
Yes, Reforme Communitee.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:Temple Israel is a Reformed Jewish Community. Chabad House on south 120th observes Sabbath Halacha laws, they are close enough to the Bagel Bin.
The Bagel Bin is ironically not inside the wire the Orthodox synagogue erected a couple of years ago. Basically from Westover south to Center and from 120th west to 132nd. The Summer Kitchen moving there would put it in a great location to serve that community as well as all the rest of us who would walk over. We were hoping for something in the way of a nice cafe. Now we hope that they get some better food on their menu. Challah french toast would be a great start. A good western omelet with some Orsi Italian sausage grilled on the side would be another excellent addition (though I would not have a reason to drive all the way to Louie M's for breakfast anymore.)
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad wrote:Trenton from the Grow Omaha Radio Show heard a Rumor that the Summer Kitchen at 129th and Maple is moving to a new space in Sterling Ridge.
Heard that rumor as well. Unlike others, I really like Summer Kitchen... it's held up the best of the Ron Popp/Garden Cafe spinoffs.

It used to be a lot busier about 10-15 years ago. I used to have three favorites at that location, and Summer Kitchen is the last one left.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Interesting that they might be leaving the W Maple Corridor. Not a ton of good competition there. Not a fan of Egg and I. The only other place I eat out their for breakfast is Jimmy's Egg on 168th.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Interesting that they might be leaving the W Maple Corridor.  Not a ton of good competition there.  Not a fan of Egg and I.  The only other place I eat out their for breakfast is Jimmy's Egg on 168th.

Greg
What if they got a great offer on their building?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And even less competition at Sterling, plus being close to a synagogue, a soon to be Church and Islamic center...

We used to go to the one on S 84th all the time. I loved their food and selections...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:And even less competition at Sterling, plus being close to a synagogue, a soon to be Church and Islamic center...

We used to go to the one on S 84th all the time. I loved their food and selections...
Close to a huge Catholic church, two nondenominational churches, a Lutheran Church not too far away, and Boystown (which still has an active community parish). A lot of people are moving into the DeerRidge and LeaWood areas as the orginal owners cycle out. Also close to a retirement home in construction. Part will be an memory unit, but part will be a senior living center. That will give them some steady business as well.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Greg S wrote:Interesting that they might be leaving the W Maple Corridor.  Not a ton of good competition there.  Not a fan of Egg and I.  The only other place I eat out their for breakfast is Jimmy's Egg on 168th.

Greg

So what do you know that you are not sharing!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:

Greg

So what do you know that you are not sharing!
Not sure. Trenton said "I hear UNMC Physicians might be building a clinic in their old building", but then Jeff said "He just made that part up". Not sure what was all meant by that....
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Brad wrote:Trenton from the Grow Omaha Radio Show heard a Rumor that the Summer Kitchen at 129th and Maple is moving to a new space in Sterling Ridge.
Heard that rumor as well. Unlike others, I really like Summer Kitchen... it's held up the best of the Ron Popp/Garden Cafe spinoffs.

It used to be a lot busier about 10-15 years ago. I used to have three favorites at that location, and Summer Kitchen is the last one left.
We ate at the Summer Kitchen in Bellevue recently and loved it. We thought it was much better than Wheatfields, which I believe is another Garden Cafe spinoff.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I think you guys are forgetting the Orthodox Synagogue, Beth Israel, on 126th and Pacific.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garrett wrote:I think you guys are forgetting the Orthodox Synagogue, Beth Israel, on 126th and Pacific.
Photo #3
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Restaurant Closes But Plans To Move Still Cooking
WOWT wrote:The Summer Kitchen Maple Street location closed Monday because the lease is up. A company spokesperson tells WOWT6 news the restaurant will open in a new building at Sterling Ridge near 132nd and Pacific. But that may not happen before November.

The move to a Pacific street building will allow for a Scooters drive through to be part of the location. The closed summer kitchen building at 132nd and Maple is expected to become a medical office.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

We were there for lunch on Sunday. Food was great as usual, and the place was packed.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Noooooo I love this place.. anyone know a similar place in west O? Gotta have my diner food again before November!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:Noooooo I love this place.. anyone know a similar place in west O? Gotta have my diner food again before November!
Summer Kitchen in La Vista? It has a nice drive thru!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Noooooo I love this place.. anyone know a similar place in west O? Gotta have my diner food again before November!
Summer Kitchen in La Vista? It has a nice drive thru!
And its literally right off the interstate so you don't even have to deal with the west maple disaster!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow never knew they had a second location! Thanks a lot 8)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guitarguy wrote:Wow never knew they had a second location! Thanks a lot  8)
Three, One on Cornhusker in Bellevue too...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, there are three locations, 1203 Cornhusker in Bellevue being the third, but I thought the West Maple was the second location. I think the original one was the one on the north side of the south 84th St strip mall in La Vista before that mall started to decline, then they moved that one to the new South Port location...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I've just been told that the original Summer Kitchen used to be on 84th St in Ralston just north of Park Dr. where the Spaghetti Works is now...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Wow never knew they had a second location! Thanks a lot  8)
Three, One on Cornhusker in Bellevue too...
We have eaten at the Bellevue one and loved it. Much better than VI or Perkins.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:I've just been told that the original Summer Kitchen used to be on 84th St in Ralston just north of Park Dr. where the Spaghetti Works is now...
The original one I remember was on 84th. but in the old Wally World and Hobby Lobby strip, right off Summer Drive.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omababe wrote:
Coyote wrote:I've just been told that the original Summer Kitchen used to be on 84th St in Ralston just north of Park Dr. where the Spaghetti Works is now...
The original one I remember was on 84th. but in the old Wally World and Hobby Lobby strip, right off Summer Drive.
That was where I thought, but after an email from them, they said the original was on Park Ave.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Park Drive Center, where Spag. Works is now.
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Summer kitchen cafe (closed)

Post by BIG-T »

Now with the kitchen leaving that area, any idea what restaurant will go in there? It seems like people go to that area to eat.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Summer kitchen cafe (closed)

Post by Coyote »

BIG-T wrote:Now with the kitchen leaving that area, any idea what restaurant will go in there?  It seems like people go to that area to eat.
UNMC Outpatient Clinic; $500k remodeling getting started.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

a friend of mine told me that the new Summer Kitchen in Sterling Ridge will be an order at the counter like Panara.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Huh? If that's the case I'll be going to the one in La Vista still.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

guitarguy wrote:Huh? If that's the case I'll be going to the one in La Vista still.
He had been going there for years and that's what his regular server told them after they closed and she lost her job.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

That's a shame if they laid off the wait staff from the Maple St location.. I always thought did an excellent job and were very friendly.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:a friend of mine told me that the new Summer Kitchen in Sterling Ridge will be an order at the counter like Panara.
So much for their threat to local cafes already in the area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:That's a shame if they laid off the wait staff from the Maple St location.. I always thought did an excellent job and were very friendly.
I think it would be asking a lot for the low paid wait staff to have to wait (no pun intended) until a new location would be up and running before getting another pay check. I think it was very reasonable to let them find employment...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

You're right that was the best thing to do I still think offering on call work at the other locations while they figured things out would have been best. I doubt there is a lack of work for good cafe wait staff.. just hoping they found other work quickly.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:You're right that was the best thing to do I still think offering on call work at the other locations while they figured things out would have been best. I doubt there is a lack of work for good cafe wait staff.. just hoping they found other work quickly.
I would hope that the owners went out of their way to help their employees find a new gig. They certainly had enough heads up to do so. I don't know the owners, so I don't know if that would be in character.