Drive-in theatre?

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Drive-in theatre?

Post by Stargazer »

My wife said she saw a segment on KETV, this morning, about a new drive-in theatre opening... but I can't find anything on it on the web. Anyone know anything about this?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Drive-in theatre?

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:My wife said she saw a segment on KETV, this morning, about a new drive-in theatre opening... but I can't find anything on it on the web.  Anyone know anything about this?

Was it about a guy somwhere in NE Nebraska that has built one on his farm as a hobby? It would be about the time of year he starts to show movies. I saw something on it last year about this time. Don't even remeber for sure where it was at in NEbraska
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think you're right... found a story...

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 29935/1688" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very cool, I was always hoping they would rebuild the drive-in Council Bluffs that was torn down to make way for Google, but that never happened. I think they even mentioned they were at one point looking to buy land to rebuild, but it fell through. I love the movies in the Park Midtown Crossing and some other areas have, but nothing compares to driving your car in, bringing in snacks and enjoying the movie right from your own car.
Kim_A2O
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Kim_A2O »

skinzfan23 wrote:Very cool, I was always hoping they would rebuild the drive-in Council Bluffs that was torn down to make way for Google,  but that never happened.  I think they even mentioned they were at one point looking to buy land to rebuild, but it fell through.  I love the movies in the Park Midtown Crossing and some other areas have, but nothing compares to driving your car in, bringing in snacks and enjoying the movie right from your own car.
I agree! We went to the drive in's many times as children and it was so fun taking my own children. I would love to see a Drive In open up in OMaha
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is great news, and its only 5 miles from my house. I wonder how it will be.

Prices are only going to be $5-10 per car according to their website. More shows will be announced throughout the summer.

http://sokolpark.net/drive-in_theater
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

While I hope this works and is widely successful I am not sure I would call a 20' X 20' screen a drive in.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:While I hope this works and is widely successful I am not sure I would call a 20' X 20' screen a drive in.
yeah, you are right, I didn't catch that. that is the size of one of the inflatable screens that Midtown Crossing uses to show its movies. It works well with people sitting on the grass, not sure how it will be with people in their cars.

I also looked at the site on google maps and it doesn't appear to be very large, definitely not as large as the CB drive in space used to be.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:While I hope this works and is widely successful I am not sure I would call a 20' X 20' screen a drive in.
yeah, you are right, I didn't catch that. that is the size of one of the inflatable screens that Midtown Crossing uses to show its movies. It works well with people sitting on the grass, not sure how it will be with people in their cars.

I also looked at the site on google maps and it doesn't appear to be very large, definitely not as large as the CB drive in space used to be.

I fear that this could be a GREAT thing but by promoting one way people may show up once or twice and be underwhelmed and while the event is great the people walk away disappointed.

Call it Movies under the Stars or something like that and the exceptions are not set out of line with reality.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

20 inches by 20 inches there's no way it's that small?
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:20 inches by 20 inches there's no way it's that small?

Correct

I a typo on my part in my head it was the correct dim so my point was not any different.