Saltgrass Steak House @ VP (Mimi's / Stroud's)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I can't imagine that a significant percentage of customers pay for restaurant meals with cash any more.
Very true. I'm going to try and hit up Strouds on Saturday at some point. I'll be in the area, it's all about timing.. Granted.. Strouds is not a maiden voyage for me. I've eaten at the location in the KC area several times over the years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Use there on line reservation. We did the one time we have gone so far in Omaha and got our table within 5 Min of the reservation time.
Cool. Thanks for the tip :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

This place has been open for 6 months and finally I had lunch there today. I think when they first opened they were pretty busy but that is not the case anymore. There could not of been 10 people in there today at 12:30 PM. Right down the street the restaurant called "Pitch" looked packed and must of had 100 cars in the lot. Wonder if I was supposed to be eating at Pitch and just didn't know it? Note to self have to try Pitch one of these days. So back to Stroud's........I don't know about Stroud's having the greatest chicken. What I do know is I would sooner have Popeyes or Kentucky Fried Chicken or even the Millard Roadhouse any day of the week. Sorry Stroud's just keeping it honest. I like Stroud's chicken don't get me wrong it just isn't even close to the best I have ever had. I ordered 2 breasts for 14.95 and when they came they were mammoth in size. So far so good I thought until I laid my knife and fork into that chicken and saw that it was pretty tough. It was over cooked and dried out. In places it was tough enough you could blow a tooth out if you were not careful. Still it was tasty just way over cooked. For a side they give you a bowl of mashed potatoes they say they peel and make fresh. The potatoes and the gravy were pretty tasty except they were only luke warm at best. You also get a side of green beans which tasted like they came out of a can to me. I don't like my vegetables out of a can. Maybe those beans were fresh but I bet they were canned. For desert you get a couple of cinnamon rolls. Those rolls aint nothing to write home about in fact 1 is more then enough. I would definitely go back to this place however I'll not be rushing back. On a positive note the staff was polite and professional at all times and made us feel welcome. The entire restaurant was neat an clean and well maintained inside and out. The fact that the place was deserted and uncrowded was relaxing and peaceful but it might mean this place is not long for the world.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

This is on the try-it list, but sometime just hasn't come around yet. :)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:This place has been open for 6 months and finally I had lunch there today. I think when they first opened they were pretty busy but that is not the case anymore. There could not of been 10 people in there today at 12:30 PM. Right down the street the restaurant called "Pitch" looked packed and must of had 100 cars in the lot. Wonder if I was supposed to be eating at Pitch and just didn't know it? Note to self have to try Pitch one of these days. So back to Stroud's........I don't know about Stroud's having the greatest chicken. What I do know is I would sooner have Popeyes or Kentucky Fried Chicken or even the Millard Roadhouse any day of the week. Sorry Stroud's just keeping it honest. I like Stroud's chicken don't get me wrong it just isn't even close to the best I have ever had. I ordered 2 breasts for 14.95 and when they came they were mammoth in size. So far so good I thought until I laid my knife and fork into that chicken and saw that it was pretty tough. It was over cooked and dried out. In places it was tough enough you could blow a tooth out if you were not careful. Still it was tasty just way over cooked. For a side they give you a bowl of mashed potatoes they say they peel and make fresh. The potatoes and the gravy were pretty tasty except they were only luke warm at best. You also get a side of green beans which tasted like they came out of a can to me. I don't like my vegetables out of a can. Maybe those beans were fresh but I bet they were canned. For desert you get a couple of cinnamon rolls. Those rolls aint nothing to write home about in fact 1 is more then enough. I would definitely go back to this place however I'll not be rushing back. On a positive note the staff was polite and professional at all times and made us feel welcome. The entire restaurant was neat an clean and well maintained inside and out. The fact that the place was deserted and uncrowded was relaxing and peaceful but it might mean this place is not long for the world.
With it being home style we only go there for dinner, not lunch. Interesting on your green beans. I think they are the best I've ever had.

One thing on Stroud's I'd recommend. They have fantastic take out. On the holidays they do a coupe specials. We do the one for $39.99 that includes chicken and sides. They also have one for $24.99 that has chicken bites.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Restaurants Hot Seat

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Strouds. I have been there 3 times and its been almost dead. Whatever magic they had in Kansas City does not seem to translate here. I see them closing in 2018. I have no complaints. Firebirds next door is always packed.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Re: Restaurants Hot Seat

Post by Silverspoon »

I wasnt very impressed with the taste of the food, but the amount of food for your buck was very good. Been there once, and wont go again...
Jim Flowers rules!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Silverspoon wrote:I wasnt very impressed with the taste of the food, but the amount of food for your buck was very good. Been there once, and wont go again...
Basically the same sense I and my wife had of the place. Lots of food, lots of cost, so-so quality. Frankly, it's good chicken, but no better than I can get elsewhere for less.

Won't go back.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I really like the chicken at Strouds and absolutely love the sides. We've only eaten at the restaurant once but we get take out a lot.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Strouds. I have been there 3 times and its been almost dead. Whatever magic they had in Kansas City does not seem to translate here. I see them closing in 2018. I have no complaints. Firebirds next door is always packed.

If your track record holds, Strouds will be here in Omaha for at least a century. Possibly two.
No posts exist for this topic
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

MadMartin8 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Strouds. I have been there 3 times and its been almost dead. Whatever magic they had in Kansas City does not seem to translate here. I see them closing in 2018. I have no complaints. Firebirds next door is always packed.

If your track record holds, Strouds will be here in Omaha for at least a century. Possibly two.
Sorry, I am with Gramps on this. Have been there twice and we both thought it was just average. Many more places to eat! That are better!!
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

We went with a group and everyone's meals were served family style, which was a complete disaster. A dozen or so people ordered, and out came a platter -- ONE platter -- containing ALL the chicken that EVERYONE ordered. I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in my life. Sides can be shared family style but the main course??? The chicken was just okay and we haven't gone back. Not our cup of tea at all.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

garyomaha wrote:We went with a group and everyone's meals were served family style, which was a complete disaster. A dozen or so people ordered, and out came a platter -- ONE platter -- containing ALL the chicken that EVERYONE ordered. I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in my life. Sides can be shared family style but the main course??? The chicken was just okay and we haven't gone back. Not our cup of tea at all.

Have been there three times. I have never seen the chicken delivered to the table family style, just the sided.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:
garyomaha wrote:We went with a group and everyone's meals were served family style, which was a complete disaster. A dozen or so people ordered, and out came a platter -- ONE platter -- containing ALL the chicken that EVERYONE ordered. I've never seen such a ridiculous thing in my life. Sides can be shared family style but the main course??? The chicken was just okay and we haven't gone back. Not our cup of tea at all.

Have been there three times. I have never seen the chicken delivered to the table family style, just the sided.
Our entrees were served separately, but everything else was served family style, even though it was two of us. We had so many potatoes, we could have fed 3-4 more people. We had good service, but the cost for what we got, especially given the so-so quality made it pretty clear that Omaha has a number of better places to go for fried chicken. Honestly, Alpine Inn does better chicken. And you get the entertainment from the raccoons and children giggling at them.

From the comments in this thread, its pretty clear why that place is not doing better. About half the people on this thread have been there and don't go back. If you are a restaurant and your negatives are 50%, you have a problem.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:

Yeah the time we ate there only the sides came out family style not the chicken.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

MadMartin8 wrote:

Its the year 2050........Strouds is open and packed to the walls yet the parking lot is mostly empty. People don't drive to go out to eat and shop anymore they ride the shiny street cars that run through out the town. I'll let you finish the dream yourself. :lafcry:
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well, I’ll say this, I’ve eaten at the Strouds down in the KC area multiple times, and was always pleased with the food..

I’ve eaten at the Strouds location here in Omaha exactly one time, and was completely underwhelmed by the food.. The mashed potatoes lacked seasoning and the gravy was lukewarm.. The chicken Fried steak (which is one of their specialties) was completely bland and uninspiring. I’m going to give the place one more shot before I write it off, but it really was not a good experience, at all, the first time around..

Regarding Firebirds Woodfired Grill, I ate there just this past Sunday evening, and it was solid as usual. The place has been around for more than a decade at Village Pointe..There is a reason the parking lot is always packed at Firebirds- Consistently solid food, good portions, and at a fairly moderate price...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I was just talking with a friend that told me to try it and he had the same feelings. He says the original location is really the only one to blow you away with a great experience, and for some reason, every other, including the other(s) in KC are very poor compared to the original.
Jim Flowers rules!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We are ordering all of our side dishes from Strouds to go along with our turkey for Xmas. Done it before. Highly recommended.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Heard some 3rd hand information strouds has closed.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Brad wrote:Heard some 3rd hand information strouds has closed.
Could be. Their Facebook and Twitter seem to be gone, and when you try to make a reservation for a table, it says nothing is available for the next three days.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Grandpa got one right! :thumb:
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just called them and a message says that they are closed and will not reopen for business.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Food was good, but pricy.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is not surprising. The Stroud’s here in Omaha was completely underwhelming. The food was average at best..

It did not resemble Stroud’s in Kansas City at all in my opinion..

Now it’s time for a real quality restaurant with a commitment for providing consistently good food to move in and take over where Mimi’s Cafe left off...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:This is not surprising. The Stroud’s here in Omaha was completely underwhelming. The food was average at best..

Now it’s time for a real quality restaurant with a commitment for providing consistently good food to move in and take over where Mimi’s Cafe left off...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Haven't been to KC's version, but that place was not worth a second trip from what we could determine from our meals. Very expensive for what we got.

Agree that some consistent quality at a fair price point could do good there.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:This is not surprising. The Stroud’s here in Omaha was completely underwhelming. The food was average at best..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
My one visit to Mimi's was not a memorable experience. I just figured that was the normal, hence their demise.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Friends, lol.. I’m not saying Mimi’s Cafe was the mecca of casual dining.. But the Strouds’s location in Omaha didn’t last more than 1 year. This speaks to their pricing and most importantly (at least to me) their quality. I liked Stroud’s very much when I visited their Kansas City area location multiple times back in the day (the 90’s). Their Omaha location was sub par.. And while Mimi’s Cafe was not a mind blowing experience from a “foodie” perspective, at least it lasted multiple years and their food was of a higher quality than Stroud’s..in my opinion..

In the end, this location at Village Pointe deserves a much better attempt at giving Omaha diners a higher quality product for the price than Stroud’s ultimately provided. Their one year demise is evidence of that fact...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

MadMartin8 wrote:

Grandpa got one right! :thumb:
You got a restaurant in the high rent district with a empty parking lot on weekend nights and most of the restaurants around it are packed. :cry: Even the most optimistic of owners had to come to the realization that the game was over. From reading what many of the posters on this forum have said and from my own personal opinion I would sum up Stroud's demise most simply by saying "The chicken just wasn't that good."

P.S- I see a couple of more unlucky candidates for the Restaurants Hot Seat.
Last edited by GrandpaaSmucker on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Just called them and a message says that they are closed and will not reopen for business.
That was fast!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
My one visit to Mimi's was not a memorable experience. I just figured that was the normal, hence their demise.
Tried Mimi's a couple of times and never really found a draw to come back. The name always made me thing of the Drew Carey Show character Mimi and the decor kind of matched.
MV5BMjE2MDc2NDE0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI4MzU2MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,667,1000_AL_.jpg
MV5BMjE2MDc2NDE0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI4MzU2MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,667,1000_AL_.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

I bought a gift card as a Christmas gift two weeks ago and now they close? They had to have known they were closing, yet were still selling gift cards.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

BPHusker wrote:I bought a gift card as a Christmas gift two weeks ago and now they close? They had to have known they were closing, yet were still selling gift cards.
I imagine the owner knew. Probably none of the employees did, although they might have sensed it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Tried Mimi's a couple of times and never really found a draw to come back. The name always made me thing of the Drew Carey Show character Mimi and the decor kind of matched.
MV5BMjE2MDc2NDE0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTI4MzU2MTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,667,1000_AL_.jpg
Can't disagree with that imagery LOL...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Re: Stroud's @ VP is CLOSED

Post by Brad »

BPHusker wrote:I bought a gift card as a Christmas gift two weeks ago and now they close? They had to have known they were closing, yet were still selling gift cards.
Said on a WOWT news story they were offering refunds.
Uffda
County Board

Re: Stroud's @ VP is CLOSED

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
Said on a WOWT news story they were offering refunds.
Article also said everything is out of the restaurant also
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I also thought of Mimi from the Drew Caray Show. That’s probably the reason I never really thought to go there.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I also thought of Mimi from the Drew Caray Show. That’s probably the reason I never really thought to go there.
Glad I was not alone on that!
Brad
City Council

Re: Saltgrass Steak House @ VP (Mimi's / Stroud's)

Post by Brad »

This morning on the Grow Omaha min, Jeff Beals said that Saltgrass Steak House is going to remodel the Mimi's / Stroud's building inside and out. Construction should start soon and be open by December 1st.

Saltgrass Website:
https://www.saltgrass.com/
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

They should include an exorcist in the remodeling team.
That site has been too many things to not have bad Karma and need some holy water.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

They have something better than an exorcist in this case: Tilman Fertitta money.

They may flop, but it won't be because of lack of resources. Landry's is a huge company. This says a lot that they like the market.