Saltgrass Steak House @ VP (Mimi's / Stroud's)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Post by choke »

nativeomahan wrote:Here's a free suggestion for the Strouds people. Try to open a second location where LoLos Chicken and Waffles is, off 72nd and Ames. I think they would finally be a perfect fit for that building.

Oh, if I was a franchisee, I would definitely be eyeing that location. The thought of what it would take to open a Waffle House in that location goes through my mind every now and then also.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Here's a free suggestion for the Strouds people. Try to open a second location where LoLos Chicken and Waffles is, off 72nd and Ames. I think they would finally be a perfect fit for that building.
. The thought of what it would take to open a Waffle House in that location goes through my mind every now and then also.
If a Waffle House opened up in Omaha, I predict that would cause more pandemonium than when Chick Fil A finally invaded the city, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Ebburkrevus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ebburkrevus »

I'm pretty sure LoLo's is doing pretty well and isn't going anywhere any time soon. Also, from the prices I saw from other Strouds locations the price point may be a bit high for that area.
Ebburkrevus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ebburkrevus »

choke wrote:

Oh, if I was a franchisee, I would definitely be eyeing that location. The thought of what it would take to open a Waffle House in that location goes through my mind every now and then also.

I thought about a Waffle House in Omaha well and was curious as to what it takes to start one up. I found out they don't franchise to the general public. You have to work there and buy stock or something. I don't remember exactly.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Ebburkrevus wrote:I thought about a Waffle House in Omaha well and was curious as to what it takes to start one up.
There's a Waffle House (was? not really sure) just south of the Kansas City airport on 29.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Any updates with the opening date?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Also will there be a to go area?

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omababe wrote:
Ebburkrevus wrote:I thought about a Waffle House in Omaha well and was curious as to what it takes to start one up.
There's a Waffle House (was? not really sure) just south of the Kansas City airport on 29.

There are multiple waffle houses in KC. I know there's also one near Worlds of Fun, and we went to one off of 635 on the Kansas side.

There's also one closer to Omaha in St. Joe.

Greg
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I wish they didn't have those Waffle Houses in Kansas City. Nothing irks me like being on a weekender to see the Chiefs and some jack wad I'm with insists they drag us to the Waffle House. I never liked that greasy place. I always think what a lousy way to spend my vacation dining at the Waffle House. :(
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I love Waffle House. Their Smothered Hash browns are wicked good.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:I love Waffle House. Their Smothered Hash browns are wicked good.
You speak the truth :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Nothing irks me like being on a weekender to see the Chiefs and some jack wad I'm with insists they drag us to the Waffle House.
A somewhat common nickname for it is "Awful House" in some of the southern states.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Next time you guys are in KC and looking for a really good breakfast I highly recommend hitting Town Topic in downtown.

Greg
Ebburkrevus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ebburkrevus »

Ate at one down in Orlando back in March. It really wasn't all that good, but people were still lined up out the door.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I just want to apologize to Strouds Pan Fried Chicken and the Chickenchoker for having their good name sullied by having the infamous Waffle House even mentioned in their thread. :(

A friend of mine who lives in Kansas City was telling me some of the lore surrounding Strouds. He said when Elizabeth Taylor got married to around her 6th or 7th husband she ordered some ChickenChoker T-Shirts from Strouds and her and her husband were married in them. He also named a bunch of celebrities that went there and said Rush Limbaugh loves Strouds and had ate there a few years back and left a thousand dollar tip.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Ebburkrevus wrote:
choke wrote:

I thought about a Waffle House in Omaha well and was curious as to what it takes to start one up. I found out they don't franchise to the general public. You have to work there and buy stock or something. I don't remember exactly.
You are correct:

Thank you for your inquiry into the franchise program of Waffle House. The current policy is that Waffle House does not make its franchises available to the general public.

The Waffle House franchise program is unique from other franchise groups in that we do not sell franchises to the general public and we do not enter in to partnerships. Being an employee of the Waffle House group is the only way to qualify for a franchise. It is a very hands-on and demanding program with the requirement that the Operator will work in the restaurant.

Waffle House requires those persons interested in franchise operations work within the Waffle House network of restaurants for a minimum of three years. This person must also have attained the level of a District Manager, having operated at least three of the Waffle House restaurants.

The employee is eligible to submit an application for a franchise once they complete the policy requirements; however, there is no guarantee that a franchise will be available to take over operationally once they complete the process, as we are not actively expanding our franchise markets.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
Chickenchoker80
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Chickenchoker80 »

Okay, gotta turn this thread around. . .

Ah hem!!!!!

Stroud's will be officially opening to the public on October 15th! And (wait for it . . . ) chicken and WAFFLES is on the menu. We have been remodeling the heck out of this building and we are currently training an army of chicken experts. I'll be posting some more photos ASAP. Book a table through opentable.com

Sincerely, Chef Ryan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the info Chef Ryan! See you then.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

I was just out there saying hi to Chef Ryan and I can confirm that they did great with the interior.

They are going to be busy for sure, everyone is asking me what's up with it. People are excited.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Chickenchoker80 wrote:Okay, gotta turn this thread around. . .

Ah hem!!!!!

Stroud's will be officially opening to the public on October 15th! And (wait for it . . . ) chicken and WAFFLES is on the menu. We have been remodeling the heck out of this building and we are currently training an army of chicken experts. I'll be posting some more photos ASAP. Book a table through opentable.com

Sincerely, Chef Ryan
When will it show up on OpenTable? I'm only seeing the Overland Park and Independence locations when I search for it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Chickenchoker80 wrote:Okay, gotta turn this thread around. . .

Ah hem!!!!!

Sincerely, Chef Ryan

Here are the photos
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (99.3 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (30.56 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (186.1 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dang, look at all those shiny new pans...

Been more than a decade since I left the restaurant business, but are those knives on the wall color coded? Red for raw chicken and Black for cooked chicken? When I was on my way out, they were trying to color code everything, tongs, knives, cutting boards.
Chickenchoker80
New to the Neighborhood

Open table begins Oct. 24th! Also, we will be rolling out carry out as well as online ordering around the first week of November. Details will be posted in the restaurant.

Chef Ryan
Chickenchoker80
New to the Neighborhood

UPDATE: We are taking open reservation for LUNCH ONLY tomorrow (10/11) and Wednesday (10/12). If you want to check us out before your neighbors, call and get in before spots fill up! (402) 973-9950. We open to the Public and are taking walkins on Oct. 15!!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Brad wrote:Dang, look at all those shiny new pans...

Been more than a decade since I left the restaurant business, but are those knives on the wall color coded? Red for raw chicken and Black for cooked chicken? When I was on my way out, they were trying to color code everything, tongs, knives, cutting boards.

Oh yeah. Wait until those pans and stoves have cooked a few batches of chicken. Oil and grease is a messy venture.
Chickenchoker80
New to the Neighborhood

Oh, our pans are cleaned all night long and polished to a mirror shine! They won't look quite as good as brand new but we sure try!
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Chickenchoker80 wrote:UPDATE: We are taking open reservation for LUNCH ONLY tomorrow (10/11) and Wednesday (10/12). We open to the Public and are taking walkins on Oct. 15!!
My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Stroud's for lunch today (Wednesday), excellent food. They were training, even so, excellent service. They are proud of their history, a Stroud's "history book" was on the table.

I can best describe Stroud's as a visit to my grandparents farm for a weekend meal, where fresh farm grown chicken was served. My grandmother added more black pepper, but still very close.

We both ordered the 2-piece pan fried chicken lunch (breast and thigh) and a cup of chicken noodle soup. As the menu states, it can take up to 30 minutes for the chicken, so some sort of appetizer like the soup is a good idea.

We were too full for the cinnamon roll desert, so we brought that home for a treat later.

I have no doubt that Stroud's will do well in Omaha.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

lonnie wrote:
Chickenchoker80 wrote:UPDATE: We are taking open reservation for LUNCH ONLY tomorrow (10/11) and Wednesday (10/12). We open to the Public and are taking walkins on Oct. 15!!
My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Stroud's for lunch today (Wednesday), excellent food. They were training, even so, excellent service. They are proud of their history, a Stroud's "history book" was on the table.

I can best describe Stroud's as a visit to my grandparents farm for a weekend meal, where fresh farm grown chicken was served. My grandmother added more black pepper, but still very close.

We both ordered the 2-piece pan fried chicken lunch (breast and thigh) and a cup of chicken noodle soup. As the menu states, it can take up to 30 minutes for the chicken, so some sort of appetizer like the soup is a good idea.

We were too full for the cinnamon roll desert, so we brought that home for a treat later.

I have no doubt that Stroud's will do well in Omaha.
Thanks for that review. I look forward to trying it.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I had some friends also take part in a soft opening today and posted some photos. Looked good.... now I have to figure out how to get invited to soft openings. :(
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Uffda wrote:I had some friends also take part in a soft opening today and posted some photos. Looked good.... now I have to figure out how to get invited to soft openings. :(

If you followed them on facebook, you could go to the soft opening. Limit of 2 people and you had to notify them in advance.

Greg
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Greg S wrote:
Uffda wrote:I had some friends also take part in a soft opening today and posted some photos. Looked good.... now I have to figure out how to get invited to soft openings. :(

If you followed them on facebook, you could go to the soft opening. Limit of 2 people and you had to notify them in advance.

Greg
Chickenchoker posted an invite to us all in this thread earlier this week. He said let him know, so we had the invite and I thought about it but I was kind of busy.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We went there Friday. Got there at 5:30 and it was about an hour rate (I think they had Veteran's Day specials plus the grand opening specials). We we went to Scheel's and they texted us when it was time to come back (was less than an hour).

We loved it. Everything was really really good. Didn't come close to finishing it. We brought home the cinnamon rolls. They are great the next day after 20 seconds in the microwave (don't refrigerate). Our waitress gave us those instructions.

We will back be. They are supposed to have on-line ordering and take out set up this week.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:We went there Friday. Got there at 5:30 and it was about an hour rate (I think they had Veteran's Day specials plus the grand opening specials). We we went to Scheel's and they texted us when it was time to come back (was less than an hour).

We loved it. Everything was really really good. Didn't come close to finishing it. We brought home the cinnamon rolls. They are great the next day after 20 minutes in the microwave (don't refrigerate). Our waitress gave us those instructions.

We will back be. They are supposed to have on-line ordering and take out set up this week.

Greg

After 20 Minutes in the Microwave where they ROCKS ?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
Greg S wrote:We went there Friday. Got there at 5:30 and it was about an hour rate (I think they had Veteran's Day specials plus the grand opening specials). We we went to Scheel's and they texted us when it was time to come back (was less than an hour).

We loved it. Everything was really really good. Didn't come close to finishing it. We brought home the cinnamon rolls. They are great the next day after 20 minutes in the microwave (don't refrigerate). Our waitress gave us those instructions.

Greg

Sorry, 20 seconds. I will correct it.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Greg

Sorry, 20 seconds. I will correct it.

Greg

Figured that but couldn't let it pass!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Understood, I would have done the same thing.

Greg
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Read in the paper yesterday some dirty rats strode into Strouds after midnight Sunday night and tried to rob the place. It sounds like the money was gone and all they got was the janitors cell phone. I havent been out to Strouds yet I been too busy eating my Popeyes chicken breasts :roll: but I bet they been pretty busy which makes them a target for the booglers.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I can't imagine that a significant percentage of customers pay for restaurant meals with cash any more.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote:I can't imagine that a significant percentage of customers pay for restaurant meals with cash any more.
Very true. I'm going to try and hit up Strouds on Saturday at some point. I'll be in the area, it's all about timing.. Granted.. Strouds is not a maiden voyage for me. I've eaten at the location in the KC area several times over the years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I can't imagine that a significant percentage of customers pay for restaurant meals with cash any more.
Very true. I'm going to try and hit up Strouds on Saturday at some point. I'll be in the area, it's all about timing.. Granted.. Strouds is not a maiden voyage for me. I've eaten at the location in the KC area several times over the years...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Use there on line reservation. We did the one time we have gone so far in Omaha and got our table within 5 Min of the reservation time.