Stroud's @ VP is CLOSED

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene (mp3 posts)

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

charlie123
Home Owners Association
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby charlie123 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:30 pm

I took a closer look... A poorly written sign taped to the door "closed due to plumbing maintenance, sorry for the inconvenience"

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Omababe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:42 am

43county wrote:
charlie123 wrote:I don't think Harrington's survived. It appeared to be closed when I drove by last night with a note on the window. Perhaps not... I don't mean to start rumors, but this may be the case. Their phone isn't working either.


It says out front that it's closed for plumbing repairs, but there were no contractors there when I drove by at 2 pm on tuesday.


Oh, one of those "closed for remodeling" things?

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3483
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nativeomahan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:14 pm

I honestly don't think that local mom and pop type restaurants have a chance at lifestyle centers such as VP. People expect formulaic chain restaurants at these places, and rents are higher than mom and pop's are used to paying.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby choke » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:01 pm

nativeomahan wrote:I honestly don't think that local mom and pop type restaurants have a chance at lifestyle centers such as VP. People expect formulaic chain restaurants at these places, and rents are higher than mom and pop's are used to paying.



At the least, people that live in this area expect something more akin to fine dining. The picture on their Facebook page of the bacon wrapped meatloaf sitting on top of mashed potatoes, smothered in gravy, looks like something you might get at a bar and grill. VP clientele aren't gonna be down with that. Also, the post on Faceboook citing the restaurant being closed for repair is not too good either. (On a side note, I was out a VP during the holidays. It seems the property owners need to invest some monies back into the property. The fire pit outside did not work and a lot of crumbling sidewalks. It was looking ghetto.)

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Greg S » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 am

Wouldn't the sidewalk repairs fall on the owner, RED? Not the tenant?

Greg

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28619
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Brad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:07 am

Greg S wrote:Wouldn't the sidewalk repairs fall on the owner, RED? Not the tenant?


Those restaurants are separate lots with individual owners.

Harrington's:
REALTY TRUST GROUP INC
2300 S 48 ST #1
LINCOLN NE 68506-0000

The actual "mall" part:
168TH AND DODGE LP
7500 COLLEGE BLVD #750
OVERLAND PARK KS 66210-0000

The Firebirds Lot next door to Harrington's:
STORE MASTER FUNDING II LLC
C/O FIREBIRDS INTERNATL LLC
13850 BALLANTYNE CORP PL #450
CHARLOTTE NC 28277-0000
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

lonnie
Library Board
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Douglas County NE

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby lonnie » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:27 am

Brad wrote:
Greg S wrote:Wouldn't the sidewalk repairs fall on the owner, RED? Not the tenant?


Those restaurants are separate lots with individual owners.

Harrington's:
REALTY TRUST GROUP INC
2300 S 48 ST #1
LINCOLN NE 68506-0000

The actual "mall" part:
168TH AND DODGE LP
7500 COLLEGE BLVD #750
OVERLAND PARK KS 66210-0000

The Firebirds Lot next door to Harrington's:
STORE MASTER FUNDING II LLC
C/O FIREBIRDS INTERNATL LLC
13850 BALLANTYNE CORP PL #450
CHARLOTTE NC 28277-0000

I seem to recall that while some of the Village Pointe outlot buildings are owned by 3rd parties, the underlying land is still owned by RED and leased to the building owners.

User avatar
Uffda
Planning Board
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Uffda » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:13 pm

There are a lot of bad pieces of sidewalk in VP -- some that has been repaired over and over

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28619
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Uffda wrote:There are a lot of bad pieces of sidewalk in VP -- some that has been repaired over and over


Its Nebraska... Unless we excavate 4 feet of dirt and replace it with rock and then heat all pavement, we are always going to have bad pavement. Anything the ice doesn't crack the clay soils will ruin.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6200
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nebugeater » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:29 am

Fast approaching a month.

Must be one heck of a plugged toilet!

I am guessing that the help has or is finding jobs elsewhere and this will never open under this name again.

Here is a quick cell phone photo of the door sign as I drove by on Sunday.
Attachments
IMG_3239.jpg
IMG_3239.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6200
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nebugeater » Wed May 04, 2016 6:04 pm

Was driving by on Dodge today and noticed that there were some vehicles parked in front of this empty restaurant. It was about 11:45. Curiosity got the best of me so I drove by a little closer. There were a couple people outside as I came near but they went inside. Dressed in Business Clothes, not work clothes. I did drive by the front and the "pluming" sign was down. It was also interesting to note that one of the cars and Nebr plates but the other three all had Missouri plates. Pretty sure than none of them were rentals and the pickup had a ladder in the back was one of the Missouri vehicles.

Wonder what Missouri group or restaurant is looking at this as a possible location?
Attachments
IMG_3315.JPG
IMG_3315.JPG (119.48 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Greg S » Thu May 05, 2016 9:28 am

I would sell a body part if if was Jack Stack or Joe's Kansas City.

Greg

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2196
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Greg S wrote:I would sell a body part if if was Jack Stack or Joe's Kansas City.

Greg



I would also sell a few of your body parts for especially a Jack Stack.
No posts exist for this topic

BPHusker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby BPHusker » Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm

nebugeater wrote:Was driving by on Dodge today and noticed that there were some vehicles parked in front of this empty restaurant. It was about 11:45. Curiosity got the best of me so I drove by a little closer. There were a couple people outside as I came near but they went inside. Dressed in Business Clothes, not work clothes. I did drive by the front and the "pluming" sign was down. It was also interesting to note that one of the cars and Nebr plates but the other three all had Missouri plates. Pretty sure than none of them were rentals and the pickup had a ladder in the back was one of the Missouri vehicles.

Wonder what Missouri group or restaurant is looking at this as a possible location?

I would love for it to be Strouds! They took over one of the old Mimi's locations in Overland Park. I love their chicken!!

Image

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6200
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nebugeater » Thu May 05, 2016 7:10 pm

BPHusker wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Was driving by on Dodge today and noticed that there were some vehicles parked in front of this empty restaurant. It was about 11:45. Curiosity got the best of me so I drove by a little closer. There were a couple people outside as I came near but they went inside. Dressed in Business Clothes, not work clothes. I did drive by the front and the "pluming" sign was down. It was also interesting to note that one of the cars and Nebr plates but the other three all had Missouri plates. Pretty sure than none of them were rentals and the pickup had a ladder in the back was one of the Missouri vehicles.

Wonder what Missouri group or restaurant is looking at this as a possible location?

I would love for it to be Strouds! They took over one of the old Mimi's locations in Overland Park. I love their chicken!!

Image


That might just be another clue
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3483
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nativeomahan » Sat May 07, 2016 10:49 pm

A KC BBQ place would be outstanding, though for selfish reasons I would prefer it to happen in mid town.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Greg S » Mon May 09, 2016 9:31 am

I would be OK with it anywhere in the metro. VP, midtown, CB, Sarpy or riverfront. I'd just love to have one of them in town.

Greg

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby HskrFanMike » Mon May 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Joe's KC has stated several times in the past that they aren't interested in further expansion. But I tweaked Jack Stack on Facebook a few years ago about expansion into Omaha and got a response that wasn't exactly a denial. Not sure the Mimi's spot is the right size for Jack Stack; I suspect they'd want something a touch larger. But selfishly, I'd be overjoyed if it turned out to be true.

I think Stroud's is definitely in the ballpark for speculation.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6200
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nebugeater » Mon May 09, 2016 1:03 pm

nativeomahan wrote:A KC BBQ place would be outstanding, though for selfish reasons I would prefer it to happen in mid town.



Give it a few years..... this will be midtown!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Greg S » Tue May 10, 2016 8:14 am

Yeah when Joe's KC opened their 3rd KC location, they said that was it for expansion. When they separated from their original party and settled everything regarding the name and the two entities not competing, there was something though that after so many years, theoretically they could build again. Don't think it will happen but never say never.

I do think Jack Stack would be more likely. I would not mind Smokehouse though since they have added locations over the years.

Greg

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Omababe » Wed May 11, 2016 5:30 am

Not to be the lone dissenter here, but it's sad that the independent place did not make it! They were obviously undercapitalized.

I would sure love to see more independent locally-owned locally-themed places than Yet Another branch of some chain!

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3483
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nativeomahan » Sat May 14, 2016 8:06 am

Omababe wrote:Not to be the lone dissenter here, but it's sad that the independent place did not make it! They were obviously undercapitalized.

I would sure love to see more independent locally-owned locally-themed places than Yet Another branch of some chain!


I generally would agree with you, however Jack Stack and some of the other famously popular KC restaurants shouldn't be lumped into the same category as Chili's or Applebee's. They feature high quality, authentic Mid American food at reasonable prices.

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2195
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Omababe » Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 pm

nativeomahan wrote:I generally would agree with you, however Jack Stack and some of the other famously popular KC restaurants shouldn't be lumped into the same category as Chili's or Applebee's. They feature high quality, authentic Mid American food at reasonable prices.


That's what I first thought of Famous Dave. Since they branched out of Wisconsin and Minnesota they've become quite formulaic and lower in consistency and quality.

bbinks
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby bbinks » Mon May 16, 2016 8:58 am

Can one get a good meal at Famous Daves? Yes. Is it real authentic BBQ? Absolutely not. Growing up in New Mexico, I've yet to find any decent Mexican fare here.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3693
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Greg S » Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 am

Omababe wrote:Not to be the lone dissenter here, but it's sad that the independent place did not make it! They were obviously undercapitalized.

I would sure love to see more independent locally-owned locally-themed places than Yet Another branch of some chain!



I hardly think of Jack Stack or Joe's KC as chains. Just because you have more than one location does not make you a chain. Both are family owned. The Fiorella family goes back decades (I remember going in the 70's).

Greg

43county
Home Owners Association
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby 43county » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:37 am

There is a tenant, and they are from KC, but it's not BBQ. It his however, really good news.

Sorry to be vague.

EDIT: Someone above nailed it.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5288
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Harrington's Family Restaurant (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:49 am

43county wrote:There is a tenant, and they are from KC, but it's not BBQ. It his however, really good news.

Sorry to be vague.

EDIT: Someone above nailed it.

I am assuming it is Stroud's then?

BPHusker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby BPHusker » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 am

43county wrote:There is a tenant, and they are from KC, but it's not BBQ. It his however, really good news.

Sorry to be vague.

EDIT: Someone above nailed it.


I just found they posted an ad on Craigslist.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/fbh/5626112237.html

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 853
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby daveoma » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:36 pm

OMG STROUD'S IS LEGENDARY! ! ! They serve American food big family style. TONS of food. If you like home style food then you'll love this place. I ate at the one in KC when I was a kid and their mashed potatoes were amazing. In particular I remember the large servings. :-)

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby choke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 pm

daveoma wrote:OMG STROUD'S IS LEGENDARY! ! ! They serve American food big family style. TONS of food. If you like home style food then you'll love this place. I ate at the one in KC when I was a kid and their mashed potatoes were amazing. In particular I remember the large servings. :-)



JILL WENDHOLT SILVA of the Kansas City Star wrote:

Ask any Kansas Citian where to go for fried chicken and the first name likely to cross most lips is Stroud’s, a venerable establishment that road-food writers Jane and Michael Stern proclaimed “the best fried chicken in America” and the James Beard Foundation recognized as an “American Regional Classic” in 1998.

BPHusker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby BPHusker » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 pm

I wonder how long it will be before it opens?

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6352
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:49 am

Stroud's is awesome..

Their fried chicken, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes are legendary in KC.. Nope, it's not a health food place..

Great to see them expand into the Omaha market!...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3483
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nativeomahan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Maybe this would in turn encourage Jack Stack to take a look at entering the Omaha market.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6200
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nebugeater » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:27 am

BPHusker wrote:I wonder how long it will be before it opens?


No idea how much work they will do inside but they are starting to hire for key positions. The add posted says training in KC for I believe six weeks. IT will be at a Min two months and most likely longer if my guess.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3483
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nativeomahan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:03 pm

The World-Herald finally caught up to the forum.

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/legendar ... l?mode=jqm

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:05 pm

nativeomahan wrote:The World-Herald finally caught up to the forum.

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/legendar ... l?mode=jqm

What's new... 8)

BPHusker
Home Owners Association
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby BPHusker » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:19 pm

Anyone know how this is coming along? Last time I drove by in mid July it didn't look like anything was anything going on at the building.

Jack Ford
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby Jack Ford » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Looked like a couple of contractors on site this morning. :D

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6200
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby nebugeater » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Jack Ford wrote:Looked like a couple of contractors on site this morning. :D


I drove by last Saturday and there was a roll off dumpster in front. Looks like something is happening then.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

43county
Home Owners Association
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Stroud's Pan-Fried Chicken (former Mimi's @ Village Pointe)

Postby 43county » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Shooting for an early October opening. I'd say it's possible /likely from what I know.


Return to “Dining/Culture/Entertainment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest