Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Pride 2014 @ Aksarben

Post by Brad »

A- Apparently its Pride
B- When did Pride move to Aksarben
C- I thought Pride was a huge party?

Tonight we went to watch the fireworks. At 9:45 we drove through Aksarben and noticed a bunch of tents set up with Rainbow Flags. however there were only a couple dozen people there dancing to some DJ. After the fireworks around 10:45, we went back through Aksarben and everything at Pride was closed up and the gate was close? I always thought it was a huge party?
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Pride 2014 @ Aksarben

Post by nativeomahan »

Heartland Pride started Friday evening with an event for youth at 6 pm at Stinson, which was moved from Hanafan Park at the last minute due to flooding concerns along the Missouri River. Saturday morning the Pride Parade takes place in downtown Council Bluffs, followed by the street fair and concerts Saturday afternoon and night at Stinson.
This is the second year of Pride at Stinson Park and Aksarben Village. Businesses at Ak Village are co sponsoring the event.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

http://heartlandpride.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Since I have lived here the actual pride event doesn't draw as many people as I thought it would. The parade has an ok crowd it just feels like no one puts effort into any floats. The bars that host their own events. I believe the gay picnics attract more people. Sadly
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

There were I would guess at least 2,000 people in attendance at Aksarben, for the street fair, and closer to 1,000 for the parade. About 100 Union Pacific employees/family members marched in the parade. Several other corporations had significant presences in the parade, which stretched about a mile in length.
The street fare had between 50-60 vendors/ restaurants/ non profits. There were two music stages.
The Memorial Day Picnic also had a definite uptick in attendance this year, up in Florence. Over 500 attended. A lot of beer was consumed.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

When the street fair was in downtown near all the gay bars, it would get up to 7,000 in attendance. (around 2003-07) I enjoyed it when they had it the riverfront for 2 years but I also think they ended up at Aksarben because of flooding concerns after the 2011 flood. I haven't been back since they had it at the Riverfront. Also it seems our Pride is during Chicago's, Denver, and Minneapolis at times, which many Omahan's would rather go big. :banana:
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Pride moved to Aksarben, because a lesbian became President and wanted to make it more family-friendly. (insert bitter queen joke here) I am a fairly new to the "community", so I have not seen what it really was downtown, etc. However, attending the festivities for the past couple years made me realize that I going to be on the Heartland Pride board. A new president started last year and is trying to turn the event around once certain contracts expire. I believe that our Pride could be a fairly large event or weekend even. We have so many resources here that aren't being utilized, etc. And yes, if we want ours to be in Pride Month, we are going to run into the likelihood of it landing on the same weekend as Chicago or Minneapolis (like this past weekend).

Anyway, there is my two or four cents.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Bomaha wrote:Pride moved to Aksarben, because a lesbian became President and wanted to make it more family-friendly.

I guess I don't know what your definition of "family friendly" is, but if it is similar to mine, why is that a bad thing? Many straight parents would like to bring their children to these events to support the community and to educate their kids on tolerance at a young age. Additionally, there are many children struggling with their sexuality and an event like this would be a very positive thing.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

From what I understood, they kind of alienated some parts of the LGBT community and made it almost just for families. There is nothing wrong with that. Minneapolis has a huge family contingent associated with their parade, festival, etc., but there needs to be a balance and something for everyone. Maybe that was the original intention, but it wasn't implemented correctly. Again, from what I understood.

My ideas, especially nice for families.....

Gay Day at the zoo
Pride night at a Stormchasers game
Pride promo at Fun-plex

Other ideas....
A Drag Queen bowling night (done before, but specifically for Pride)
LGBT youth night (I liked the idea they had this year)

I have other ideas and suggestions, I just don't want to let everyone know my agenda. ;-)

You also have to remember that I am a "Pie in the sky" type person. Realistic with a hint of optimism.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Bomaha wrote:
I have other ideas and suggestions, I just don't want to let everyone know my agenda. ;-)
Will these ideas be included in the next issue of the Gay Agenda? I really want to keep in the know...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

The More You Know.