Tom's Live Meat Market

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Tom's Live Meat Market

Post by Coyote »

Council OKs live meat market
Alexandra Stone reporting for KETV wrote:Meyer said the animals will come from local producers. The livestock will be kept in pens and will not be visible from the street. "You can come in there and actually look and pick the live animal you want processed," Meyer said of his business plan.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Tom's Live Meat Market

Post by jessep28 »

I understand that internet comments are cringe worthy, but I think it's funny how some are getting bent out of shape about this. A similar thing happens in principle when someone buys a side of beef from a small meatpacker who sourced the cow from an area feedlot. Not to mention that just down the street you have large meatpacking operations processing hundreds of cattle per day. I think it's a good thing that people have the option to see exactly where their food came from.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As long as the USDA approves this, what do people have to complain about. I have been at JBS (former Swift) plant watching what comes in and goes out of a secured facility, where the USDA spends weeks inspecting. The only real difference is what you don't wasn't to see and what you can. I would only want to make sure about the farms they cam from, but otherwise I'd rather buy here. I frequented a place in Denver where hunters brought their own kills to be processed. I never heard of anyone complaining about these places.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seen this type of operation in small town Nebraska my share of times. Really if you think about is it more humane to run 1000 heads through some massive facility with who knows what kind of oversight(or lack of) in the killings of the the animals? This way you can basically guarantee that the animal will be taken care of in the proper correct way and handled safely. No issues here.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Count. Me. Out.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I can't wait to go to this place and get some fresh meat! Really loving how it feels like Omaha is becoming a leading city with the Farm to Table concept! :thumb:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote:Count.  Me.  Out.

That is the great thing about this. No one has to go there but it is another choice and options for those that want this type of service.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Not judging, but may I ask why?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:

Not sure about Bill, but some people just don't want to see the "before" image... Someone posted photos in that crappy Facebook group "Nebraska through the lens" of people butchering chickens and it started a huge |expletive| storm even though that family had been doing it the same way for generations.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

Not sure about Bill, but some people just don't want to see the "before" image...  Someone posted photos in that crappy Facebook group "Nebraska through the lens" of people butchering chickens and it started a huge |expletive| storm even though that family had been doing it the same way for generations.
Ah the people that don't want to see where their food comes from. If you are a vegan or vegetarian then I have no problem with you opposing a place like this, otherwise if you eat meat but don't like seeing the process you are a hypocrite. The animals that this live market are providing are treated WAY better than the meat you would buy at a store.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I don't want to watch surgery take place, either. That doesn't mean I'm opposed to hospitals. Much.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nativeomahan wrote:I don't want to watch surgery take place, either.  That doesn't mean I'm opposed to hospitals.  Much.
Oh my god.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone heard and updates on this.

The comments in the LOCAL ICE CREAMERY thread about buying local sparked me to think about this. Last post was over a year ago and I do not recall hearing anything beyond that elsewhere.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to KMTV tonight, the owner hopes to start construction to the building soon and be open by Spring 2018. That seems crazy that it would take 2 years.
Live meat market still coming to Omaha
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:According to KMTV tonight, the owner hopes to start construction to the building soon and be open by Spring 2018. That seems crazy that it would take 2 years.
Live meat market still coming to Omaha
Really sad that building is coming down :what: It's a cool one for sure. Wonder if anyone can convince him to keep it. It could have a cool public market feel.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Plan's have finally arrived at the Planning Dept.