Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Omaha Lounge (Barker Building)

Post by Brad »

Omaha Lounge

New cocktail lounge opens downtown tonight

http://www.omaha.com/go/new-cocktail-lo ... af074.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andrea Kszystyniak / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Omaha Lounge, 1505 Farnam St., will open its doors to the public today at 4 p.m.

The bar is focused on old-school and traditional drinks. It won’t focus on craft cocktails or beers. Owner David Sullivan said he wanted to focus more on traditional cocktails such as old fashioneds and martinis.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Omaha Lounge (Barker Building)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Walked by around noon today and it still looked like they had some work to do. They have the windows covered up so maybe they just didn't want to unveil it yet but there a bunch of pallets sitting in the doorway.

By the way, this is located in the old boot store on the north side of the building facing Farnam.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haven't been in yet, but for a place with a big focus on live jazz/blues I wasn't expecting to see three or four gigantic TVs. Probably judging a book by it's cover, but I have to think that kills some of the mood.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Haven't been in yet, but for a place with a big focus on live jazz/blues I wasn't expecting to see three or four gigantic TVs.  Probably judging a book by it's cover, but I have to think that kills some of the mood.
Can you even open a bar anymore without TV's?

I don't think they necessarily need to be on all the time, but I think its just makes sense to have them. You would be shooting yourself in the foot some nights if you did not.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

Yeah, bars need people staying longer.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Adding Keno.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, what is the scoop on this place. I see Michael Walker is there in Monday's, there was an Ed "Smoove Grooves" Archibald on Sax with John Mertz on guitar tonight... Is this becoming the Omaha Jazz scene, or is it just a wannabe downtown cocktail bar...
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I like this place and give them a lot of credit for trying. I love the Omahacentric feel of the place. I think a lot of their issues just come from trying to find good talent. Not to say the acts I've seen there are bad, this is not the case. Its just that finding good jazz acts is undoubtedly harder than finding talent that would normally play the Waiting Room or Slowdown for example. So far most of the stuff I have seen there has been local, combo piano/sax and things like that. It was more or less smooth jazz the likes you might expect to hear at Ozone. I would love to see them expand the repertoire, maybe add some drums and bass now and then and do a little be-bop, double time swing....think Green Mill, Chicago.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

It's venues like this that keep local talent from moving to places like Chicago to showcase their music. I really enjoy this place and hope to see it grow. Omaha needn't sell itself short when it comes to the music/art scene. Our city has been a very exciting place to live, recently; there seems to be a lot of experimenting in Omaha entertainment lately.