Mouth of the South

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Mouth of the South

Post by Coyote »

I finally had a chance to try the Mouth of the South the other day, after weeks of being tease by reviews from friends. First of all, Mouth of the South sounds like a 'Southern' diner, but it wants to be more of a Louisianan diner, look for Abita while you are here. One problem with opening in the Florence area, is that you may not have the proper everyday clientele to feature the proper seasoning of Louisiana that you may want.

I came here with high expectations but left with a little to desire. I ordered something simple to start my experience here, a Roast Beef Po'Boy with a bowl of Gumbo. My first impression was that the Gumbo was not up to my standards of home made Gumbo. It seemed like more of a seasoned broth than something started with a roux. The consistency was very thin. Then I had to go swimming to find anything on the bottom. There was just a little rice down there and a few vegetables, green peppers... but no okra, nor any substance like shrimp/Andouille/ham/chicken that I could discern.

The Po'Boy was a nice sandwich, but the portion was rather small to what I was expecting, though the roast beef did taste very fresh and it was fully dressed well.

I did notice that today they were announcing a new Jambalaya with Andouille that I will have to give a try sometime, but it may have to wait since there are so many good new restaurants in town to try out. I wish them well, and hope they succeed at this location.

Brad
City Council

Re: Mouth of the South

Post by Brad »

Matt was trying to get me to go there today, but I had to work.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Judging from the photo, which shows not one but three TVs in the restaurant, I am turned off.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Where were the people? No other customers?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:Where were the people?  No other customers?
This was at 2:30, I try not to include customers in pics, for security reasons :P
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like they had a pretty bad fire here today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just saw on WOWT, Mouth of the South is moving to 72nd Ames. Former Famous Dave's Building.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:16 pm Just saw on WOWT, Mouth of the South is moving to 72nd Ames. Former Famous Dave's Building.
Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles ... Same building as they were in?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 am
Brad wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:16 pm Just saw on WOWT, Mouth of the South is moving to 72nd Ames. Former Famous Dave's Building.
Lo Lo's Chicken and Waffles ... Same building as they were in?
That's the one.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Yeah I saw this on KMTV the middle of the month couple of weeks ago
https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-new ... n-florence

"When you are a 48 seat restaurant and have 90 people standing inside and people walking away and leaving because it's nowhere for them to sit," said Ernst.

'We don't have that problem here," said Ernst.

Soon to reopen off 70th and Ames, Ernst says this move was a no-brainer.

"We have a bar that people can come in and have appetizers and drinks if that's what they want to do, we have a full dining room and patio, the patio is almost 1000 square feet," said Ernst.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mouth of the South restaurant announces it has closed, promises to reopen soon in new spot

https://www.omaha.com/entertainment/din ... c8001.html
Kevin Cole / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Just 15 months after reopening in a new location, the Mouth of South restaurant has closed again.
Kevin Cole / World-Herald staff writer wrote:"It is with excitement for our future that we are announcing the closing of this location immediately," the Facebook post said. "We will be taking our time after closing to focus on our new location. Stay tuned for exciting news .... sooner than later! Thank you so very much to all of our supportive friends, family and guests. We will see you soon!"
SunMan
Home Owners Association

Post by SunMan »

Maybe opening downtown in the former Jazz location?
wurmm
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wurmm »

Driving by the strip mall on the northwest corner of 168th & Center this weekend (the strip center where Ragazzis used to be located) I saw a “coming soon” for Mouth of the South on the digital sign board. Perhaps that plan has changed but there has been a lot of activity in the old Ragazzis bay.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

wurmm wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm Driving by the strip mall on the northwest corner of 168th & Center this weekend (the strip center where Ragazzis used to be located) I saw a “coming soon” for Mouth of the South on the digital sign board. Perhaps that plan has changed but there has been a lot of activity in the old Ragazzis bay.
I'll be really happy if this comes to West O (real West O, not you people who think 84th & Center is West O... :P). Hopefully, it does better than that unit's previous tenants. Great street visibility at a major intersection, but a pain in the butt to get to.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Umm, “Westside” high school is located just a few blocks from 84th and WEST Center Road. The neighborhood is called Westside for that reason.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nativeomahan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:59 pm Umm, “Westside” high school is located just a few blocks from 84th and WEST Center Road. The neighborhood is called Westside for that reason.
No Westside is called that for the same reason that 133 is called the Blair High Road. It was the old west side of town and it got called that and the name stuck so the school district ran with it. Better sounding than “that chunk of Omaha by 84th Street.”
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OWH has this from the last day

Mouth of the South will reopen in west Omaha

https://omaha.com/entertainment/dining/ ... e-trending

I find it interesting that they do not ID the location details but in July the exact location was mentioned here..... unless it has changed.

EDIT
Even crazier that they do not list the location
The exact address is on their Facebook page
16909 Lakeside Hill Drive
Suite 118
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebugeater wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:37 am OWH has this from the last day

Mouth of the South will reopen in west Omaha

https://omaha.com/entertainment/dining/ ... e-trending

I find it interesting that they do not ID the location details but in July the exact location was mentioned here..... unless it has changed.

EDIT
Even crazier that they do not list the location
The exact address is on their Facebook page
16909 Lakeside Hill Drive
Suite 118
At least it is a relatively “south” location, compared to their old north locations. Not that the exact location really matters.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Yeah this location has definitely not been great for previous tenants, some of which were actually quite decent. I won't hold my breath.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From today's Grow Omaha Market Report:
Mouth of the South Goes East – Mouth of the South, which serves southern cuisine and Cajun food at 168th & West Center Road, plans to open a second location in the former Old Chicago space at 1111 Harney Street in the Old Market. The new location should be open by the end of the year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to see something local open in the spot...hated seeing that vacant as I used to go there quite a bit a long time ago.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Brad wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:54 am From today's Grow Omaha Market Report:
Mouth of the South Goes East – Mouth of the South, which serves southern cuisine and Cajun food at 168th & West Center Road, plans to open a second location in the former Old Chicago space at 1111 Harney Street in the Old Market. The new location should be open by the end of the year.
That's good news for the Old Market. It's a good addition to the restaurant mix downtown.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ita wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:26 pm
That's good news for the Old Market. It's a good addition to the restaurant mix downtown.
This also fills a part of the void left from Jazz.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:45 pm
ita wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:26 pm
This also fills a part of the void left from Jazz.
Agreed. I liked Jazz, especially the first several years they were open. They served an excellent Steak Diane..

It just seemed in the several years before it closed, the place fell off in quality..

In any case, glad to see Mouth of the South expanding into the downtown core…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like construction is underway in the former Old Chicago downtown.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Single Ladies Tarot Brunch
Oct. 22nd, Sat at 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Mouth of the South - Old Market
1109 Harney Street

Join Smitten Singles and other single women at Mouth of the South for brunch. Tarot by Stef will be providing everyone with a reading.

Please join Smitten Singles and other single women at Mouth of the South for Saturday Brunch. Each participant will get a personal tarot reading from Tarot by Stef. Who knows... maybe she will be able to tell you where to find your true love?!

During checkout, please select the timeframe that works best for your schedule and arrive on time. Readings are 10 minutes and can occur at any point during the hour time slot.

Your $30 ticket price ($20 for members) includes the event planning fee and one 10-minute reading from Tarot by Stef. Limited tickets are available for this event!

Follow Smitten Singles, Tarot by Stef, and Mouth of the South on Facebook!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate several months back at the Mouth of the South in the Old Market. The group of us generally (but not all) really liked their meals. Two of the people at our table seemingly had their food orders misplaced, which led to an extremely long delay for them. Prices seemed ridiculously low for the quality and quantity of food we received.