Omaha's Best Grocery Stores

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Which is the best Grocery Store in Omaha?

Hy-Vee
26%
Bakers
8%
Safeway
1%
No Frills/Bag'n Save
3%
Super Saver
1%
Super Target
3%
Walmart
1%
Sam's Club
No votes
Costco
12%
Supermercado Nuestra Familia
3%
Trader Joes
13%
Whole Foods
6%
Aldi's
4%
Fareway
12%
Wohlners
5%
Other
3%

Total votes: 77

Coyote
City Council

Omaha's Best Grocery Stores

Post by Coyote »

Which is your favorite Grocery Store in Omaha and Why?
(In this poll you can vote for three choices)
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Omaha's Best Grocery Stores

Post by nebugeater »

Voted HyVee

May not be the lowest cost but I consider them the best value. Good selection and their store brands are right up there with the best. ( except for ketchup ;) )
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I used to like Hy-Vee a lot, but recently it seems their MO is gas prices, they do not give great reduction on food costs, but make you get the savings in gas pricing. That may be good if you have a 35 gallon tank, and buy enough specially gas discount items to get .30, .60 off gas, but I shop for one and only have a 10 gal tank. Plus it seems they don't have the check out yourself lanes like other grocers do.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I used to like Hy-Vee a lot, but recently it seems their MO is gas prices, they do not give great reduction on food costs, but make you get the savings in gas pricing. That may be good if you have a 35 gallon tank, and buy enough specially gas discount items to get .30, .60 off gas, but I shop for one and only have a 10 gal tank. Plus it seems they don't have the check out yourself lanes like other grocers do.

35 gal tank will do you no good. Discount is capped at 20 Gal.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Speaking of gas cards, what I like about Bakers is that I have a card registered online and can download the coupons I want to use, plus usually a free item Friday coupon, what I don't like about them... Krogers takeover, they used to be much better.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Speaking of gas cards, what I like about Bakers is that I have a card registered online and can download the coupons I want to use, plus usually a free item Friday coupon, what I don't like about them... Krogers takeover, they used to be much better.

Don't hold me too it but I think HyVee is headed that way
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have the 156th St Hy-Vee friended on my Facebook. They always post daily in house deals. Today I got their Jumbo Tenderloin Sandwich for $1.99 ( savings of $4.00). The Stony Brook Hy-Vee Wine & Spirits always posts on Facebook what is new or on Sale.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Hy-Vee at 156th & Maple is the WORST grocery store in town. If they have something on sale for a decent price, it's almost always out of stock. Sale items frequently ring up at the wrong price. And their "fuel savers" program is a joke, offering you a 2 cents a gallon savings on gas for something that Hy-Vee prices about $1 more than the competition.

I probably shop there once a month at most, and usually end up regretting it. Two things Hy-Vee has going for it are pretty good Chinese food...and a more extensive variety of niche products because it's a bigger store. But the prices there are quite a bit higher than the competition.

I really wish Fareway would open a store along the West Dodge corridor.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

BTW, who voted for Safeway? They pulled out of Omaha almost 35 years ago...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:BTW, who voted for Safeway?  They pulled out of Omaha almost 35 years ago...
Lol, Coyote must still thinks he lives in Colorado!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hey, I almost put down Albertson's, and HEB instead of Hy-Vee.
I thought about including Hinky Dinky :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:BTW, who voted for Safeway?  They pulled out of Omaha almost 35 years ago...
Lol, Coyote must still thinks he lives in Colorado!
Either that or you better check the age of the items in someone's cupboard and fridge!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

A little surprised there are no votes for Walmart
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:A little surprised there are no votes for Walmart
That place is pure He!!. I would never vote for it!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
That place is pure He!!.  I would never vote for it!

I like the Neighborhood Market off of 96th and Giles...but otherwise, yes, you're right.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah I was going to say, we shop at the Neighborhood market in Bellevue all the time. There aren't a lot of grocery stores close to where we live (sw of Offutt) On a side note, Bellevue is the largest city in either Iowa or Nebraska without a HyVee.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah I was going to say, we shop at the Neighborhood market in Bellevue all the time.  There aren't a lot of grocery stores close to where we live (sw of Offutt)  On a side note, Bellevue is the largest city in either Iowa or Nebraska without a HyVee.
Soon as the highway construction is done, the Plattsmouth should be a nice easy drive.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah I was going to say, we shop at the Neighborhood market in Bellevue all the time.  There aren't a lot of grocery stores close to where we live (sw of Offutt)  On a side note, Bellevue is the largest city in either Iowa or Nebraska without a HyVee.
Soon as the highway construction is done, the Plattsmouth should be a nice easy drive.
Yeah thats true and it looks nice but I still think it will be further than the neighborhood market.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
I refuse to go there for anything. But that is mainly because I feel they are one of the most evil and corrupt companies in this country.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Heard just today that HyVee is seriously looking at Bellevue, no specific part tho'. It's possible they are going to replace the one at 36 & L with a new one in Bellevue. As for my favorite store, since I rep for a broker I am somewhat biased. Baker's because I get a discount and BagnSave for their meat. My favorite store to call on however is HyVee. Best people work there!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Brad wrote:
I refuse to go there for anything. But that is mainly because I feel they are one of the most evil and corrupt companies in this country.
I don't even take any of that in to account, I hate the place because the vast majority of their employees are slow, have zero personality, and just seem like they truly don't give a F___.
debradomayer wrote:My favorite store to call on however is HyVee. Best people work there!
Exactly. They are always friendly, helpful and can actually carry on a conversation while they are running the cash register.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Brad wrote:
Brad wrote:
I don't even take any of that in to account, I hate the place because the vast majority of their employees are slow, have zero personality, and just seem like they truly don't give a F___.
I felt the same way about Wal-Mart but I will give them some credit because the new grocery only stores, especially the one on Saddle Creek, are really easy and quick. I hated the super center ones but I will shop at the grocery only ones for pop and box stuff if I don't need meat or produce cause it really is convenient. Also they have Mister C's sauce about a dollar cheaper than HyVee.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I hate shopping for groceries at Walmart super centers, but I really like their Neighborhood Markets. The workers are friendlier and stores are way less crowded.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I didn't realize Super Saver was a Lincoln store:
The first Super Saver was opened in 1984 at 48th & O Streets in Lincoln. At the time of the opening, it was the largest retail grocery store in the state in terms of square footage (60,000 square feet). In 1988 a second Super Saver was opened with 70,000 square feet at 27th & Cornhusker Highway, and a third store was opened in July 1991 at 56th & Highway 2. In 1993, the Company opened a store in Council Bluffs, Iowa, marking Super Saver's entrance into a market outside of Lincoln. Growth continued for the Super Saver concept, and in 1999 B&R Stores purchased the Food-4-Less store in Columbus and the Festival of Foods store in Grand Island. A new Super Saver store at 27th & Pine Lake Road in Lincoln was completed in October 1999. An Omaha area location was added in June of 2000 with the opening of B&R's largest store, an 83,000-square-foot Super Saver at 144th & Stony Brook Boulevard in Millard. Super Saver's newest location opened in February, 2013 in Lincoln's Fallbrook neighborhood.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Wasn't there a super saver on Ames where the new walmart is? Baker's before that.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

There was a Super Saver in the old Baker's location, now Walmart. They lasted only a year before they got tired of losing more to theft than making in sales. Walmart may be suffering the same fate. Prior to opening, they fired over 1/2 of the employees due to theft. Over $100k. It's a problem
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

debradomayer wrote:There was a Super Saver in the old Baker's location, now Walmart. They lasted only a year before they got tired of losing more to theft than making in sales. Walmart may be suffering the same fate. Prior to opening, they fired over 1/2 of the employees due to theft. Over $100k. It's a problem

I'm not a Wal Mart guy but I do like that they are going where no one else will. They are very experienced at managing inner city stores. I think they will make a go of it there.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

If anyone can make it work it's Walmart. I only go because I have that store is in my territory.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Baker's at Leavenworth and Saddle Creek is actually the closest grocery to me and I refuse to shop there. It's impossible to get out once you're in the parking lot. I also HATE WITH A PASSION the damn Baker's/Kroger card you have to carry or pay double the loyalty price.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

lisanstan wrote:\ I also HATE WITH A PASSION the darn Baker's/Kroger card you have to carry or pay double the loyalty price.
Irrelevant, pointless story: I hardly shop at Baker's anymore, so one day I went there for something and found out that I took the card out of my wallet when cleaning it out. Mine was a super old one from when I worked there over a decade ago, so I didn't have the alternate pin setup, but had the actual card number memorized (in fact, I still have my original Baker's Value Card number memorized too). After trying to fool the self checkout computer to let me enter the full number, I asked the attendant if I could just enter the card number itself, but her eyes glazed over and she just gave me a replacement card.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:I asked the attendant if I could just enter the card number itself, but her eyes glazed over and she just gave me a replacement card.
All these places with a card (Which is about everything anymore) need to let you put in your phone number... I don't need 30 f-in cards in my wallet!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I asked the attendant if I could just enter the card number itself, but her eyes glazed over and she just gave me a replacement card.
All these places with a card (Which is about everything anymore) need to let you put in your phone number...  I don't need 30 f-in cards in my wallet!
most use phone numbers as your code, I still have my Krogers card from Louisiana, when it was Brookshires, Colorado, when it was King Soopets... But I had to change my phone number all the time... I think my best buy still has my Louisiana Number
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
All these places with a card (Which is about everything anymore) need to let you put in your phone number...  I don't need 30 f-in cards in my wallet!
HyVee does. Use my phone # at checkout almost all the time
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like Walmart is in the hunt for more locations for Neighborhood Markets:

Walmart on hunt for even more Nebraska locations for Neighborhood Market stores
Walmart’s introduction of its Neighborhood Market stores has been so successful that the company is looking for more locations in Nebraska, possibly including Lincoln and Omaha, a Walmart official told real estate brokers Thursday in Omaha.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

It's been 3 years and have not stepped foot into a Walmart, Wm market or Sam's. I would rather pay more for a local place or something other. Guess I have a grudge against them.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:It's been 3 years and have not stepped foot into a Walmart, Wm market or Sam's.  I would rather pay more for a local place or something other.   Guess I have a grudge against them.
I haven't been in a Walmart for years either due to the way they treat their employees.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I just can't handle Wal-Martians.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Is it just me, or do the big box stores seem like the "savings" are not real. I usually shop at HyVee and when we go to Costco, we save money on chicken, but anything else is either some bulk purchase item that forces me to buy too much, or is some house brand that often is a bulk buy as well. If I need a pound of butter, and I have to buy 3 in order to "save" money, I feel like I am better off at the normal grocery stores.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Some things are better at Costco. Others are better on sale at Baker's and Hy Vee. Hy Vee to me is the priciest option in the metro unless it's on sale.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A grocery chain no one talks about is becoming Whole Foods' biggest threat
Kroger is also expected to surpass Whole Foods Market within two years and become the nation's top seller of organic and natural food, according to a recent report by JPMorgan Chase.

The chain is renowned for excellent its customer service, loyalty program, and extensive selection, Stephen Ward, commercial director of the research and consulting firm Conlumino, said in a note to clients.

Much like Costco and Aldi, Kroger mainly offers private-label products, keeping prices low.