Home Owners Association

Re: The Market House (formerly Vivace)

Post by onelocalfoods »

Has anyone been yet? Pictures?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

They were closed last night when I walked by at about 7, kind of strange to close that early during this time in summer.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I've walked by on Saturday night. It's much less cluttered looking. There's TVs by the bar, and it's much more contemporary looking. It still has the same warmth in the atmosphere that Vivace had, however. I am looking for an excuse to get in there and try it out.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

onelocalfoods wrote:Has anyone been yet? Pictures?
Went Thursday night, no pictures though. We wanted to try a number of items so the two of us split fried artichokes, crispy pork belly, creamed kale and pappardelle.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
onelocalfoods wrote:Has anyone been yet? Pictures?
Went Thursday night, no pictures though. We wanted to try a number of items so the two of us split fried artichokes, crispy pork belly, creamed kale and pappardelle.
How was it?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really enjoyed it. The menu has everything from deviled eggs to a $65 ribeye. The "small plates" portion of the menu is what the artichokes and pork belly were from. They were very good, but small portions don't expect any of those to fill you up. The pork belly came with cheddar grits that were very good as well, sometimes grits outside of the south can end up too grainy. The pappardelle had an amazing smoked pork with it, I was scraping the last shreds out of the bowl.

I really like the look of the menu though, you could go back a number of times and mix and match dishes to get a new experience every time. Planning on a return trip when the back patio is finished.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

"Planning to go back after the back patio is finished"

How the heck can the back patio not be finished?? The Egyptians built the freakin' pyramids in less time that this restaurant took!! :D
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

swgiust wrote:"Planning to go back after the back patio is finished"

How the heck can the back patio not be finished?? The Egyptians built the freakin' pyramids in less time that this restaurant took!! :D
But with the pyramids I doubt they had to deal with building permits and code inspections!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nebugeater wrote:
swgiust wrote:"Planning to go back after the back patio is finished"

But with the pyramids I doubt they had to deal with building permits and code inspections!
They only had to deal with the wrath of the gods and vengeful mummy curses.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I walked by yesterday and today and it appears that the patio is now open. Nothing is changed on the outdoor space from when Vivace was open.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Best new restaurant and experience in the old market. Without a doubt.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

onelocalfoods wrote:Best new restaurant and experience in the old market. Without a doubt.
I agree! I'm excited to see their enclosed back porch when it is finished as well!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I don't think I am in their target market. I thought my lunch there last week was one of the worst meals I can remember in a long time if not ever. And my much younger colleague was not impressed either.

Our waitress insisted that we try the deviled eggs as they were exquisite. When they arrived, I found them to be bland at best. The yolks were boring, hardly any flavor to speak of. Each of the three egg halves we received for $5 were topped by what I assume was some type of fish eggs. They tasted like biting into fish oil capsules. Skunky and not to my liking at all. I pushed the fish capsules to the side and settled for bland and boring.

My lettuce salad was non-descript and small but the vinegraitte was the highlight of the meal by far. Bold and crisp.

I had the BLT pork belly substituted for bacon. I did not like the pork belly substitute at all. I have never had pork belly before so maybe it was great as far as pork belly goes. But it was pure unadulterated, dripping down your cheeks fat. Gross and then another skunky flavor as well. Cannot figure out why anyone would put this mess on a sandwich in place of bacon. The pork belly completely made the panini bread soggy and dripping with grease. I struggled to get down the first half of this small sandwich and decided there would no effort made to the second half. I took apart the second half and I could find no farm fresh ingredients or anything special about it to justify a rather high $14 price.

My colleague colleague had the pork belly melon plate. It had three melon balls and three small chunks of pork belly about the same size as the melon balls. He didn't like it. And I found $22 completely unjustified. My colleague travels to Omaha from Los Angeles several times a year and always raves about the restaurants here. He told me that he finally had what he would call a bad experience as a result of going to Market House.

To each their own but honestly I found my experience at Market House insulting. It was a worse experience than what I had at Maria Sangria when they were up and running. Market House was not as slow as Maria Sangria but the food was much worse. I felt like the Lunchables kids have grown up and become chefs.

But I have read the Yelp reviews and the comments here and maybe it is just me. But then again my younger colleague did not like it either.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

guy4omaha wrote: But I have read the Yelp reviews and the comments here and maybe it is just me. But then again my younger colleague did not like it either.
To be fair, we can't count 'onelocalfoods' post as an unbiased review. They do consulting or something for this restaurant's owners.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Absolutely the best dinner menu we have in Omaha. Inventive, and original. Not to mention it is absolutely the best looking space for a restaurant in the state.
James Beard awards don't come easy but look for this restaurant to win the first in Nebraska ' s history.

This is a huge win all the way around for Omaha. It is already and will continue to raise the bar for restaurants in and around us. :thumb:
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

And what kind of creepy people get on a forum board and tell the consortium that my views 'don't count' it must be a solemnly terrible life you live ne dodger to "count" whose opinions matter on an e forum board.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

onelocalfoods wrote:And what kind of creepy people get on a forum board and tell the consortium that my views 'don't count' it must be a solemnly terrible life you live ne dodger to "count" whose opinions matter on an e forum board.
Be careful with being too offensive onelocalfoods , given your postings on Over Easy and the Market House it is easy to deduce that you are a big fan of Nick Bartholomew, you may not want to taint his reputation with your enthusiasm.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Boom, roasted.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Admin wrote:
onelocalfoods wrote:And what kind of creepy people get on a forum board and tell the consortium that my views 'don't count' it must be a solemnly terrible life you live ne dodger to "count" whose opinions matter on an e forum board.
Be careful with being too offensive onelocalfoods , given your postings on Over Easy and the Market House it is easy to deduce that you are a big fan of Nick Bartholomew, you may not want to taint his reputation with your enthusiasm.
What kind of people? The kind of people who have to pay their own tab for dinner and have one night out a week. They spend their money and have their experience. They want to know going in that the food and drinks are going to be in budget and enjoyable. If a place is not up to snuff, it is important for us to know this.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:
Admin wrote:
What kind of people? The kind of people who have to pay their own tab for dinner and have one night out a week. They spend their money and have their experience. They want to know going in that the food and drinks are going to be in budget and enjoyable. If a place is not up to snuff, it is important for us to know this.
You are ruining onelocalfood's agenda.

On a more positive note, I did try this place and it was great. Not best dinner menu in Omaha, but a place I will probably go again.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Market House along side some of the biggest names in restaurants from across the country.

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/12/16/25-bes ... rica-2015/

#agenda