Downsizing--Alexander Payne Film

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Downsizing--Alexander Payne Film

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/go/alexander-payne ... f6878.html
Various sources are reporting Matt Damon will star in an Alexander Payne-directed sci-fi comedy called "Downsizing."

The movie is a long-gestating project for Payne. He shelved it before making "The Descendants" and last year's "Nebraska."

The movie is reportedly about a futuristic dystopia in which people are now able to shrink themselves to save money and fight over-consumption of rapidly dwindling resources. Damon will likely play a man who shrinks himself to have what he thinks will be a better life, according to Indiewire.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Downsizing--Alexander Payne Film

Post by skinzfan23 »

Alexander Payne's Matt Damon movie will shoot, briefly, in Omaha this spring
After more than a decade in the works, Alexander Payne’s “Downsizing,” his biggest and most star-packed film, will start shooting this spring. And for the first time since “About Schmidt,” Payne will shoot, briefly, in Omaha.

The film will shoot in three countries: the U.S., Canada and Norway. The bulk of the four-month shoot will take place in Toronto. But Payne said he will also shoot in L.A. and Omaha in April for a week apiece. Payne has homes in both cities.

“Downsizing” will also be his first film to use visual effects and will feature his starriest cast thus far: Matt Damon, Neil Patrick Harris, Jason Sudeikis and Reese Witherspoon, reuniting with Payne for the first time since 1999’s “Election.”

Payne, who shot “Citizen Ruth,” “Election” and “About Schmidt” in the Omaha metro area, hasn’t shot a film in his hometown in more than a decade, though much of his home state was covered in “Nebraska.”
“I’m really excited about it,” he said. “I wish I were shooting more in Omaha.”
“Downsizing” is expected to be released in theaters in the final quarter of 2017.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Can't remember where I read it, but the character Matt Damon plays is a S.O.B. (South Omaha Boy).
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I rented this new release from the Redbox this weekend. The movie starts out with Matt Damon living in Omaha working at Omaha Steaks. Long story short he is broke so he is downsizing himself because he will be rich in little people land. It was fun for awhile before it became a grind. A few scenes were shot in Omaha at places like La Casa's and The Old Market. Little People land is a in a big tent out in the New Mexico desert so yes this movie will burn your brain. I give it a thumbs up since it was amusingly stupid and a guy from Omaha produced it. :thumb:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We watched it last night on video. I rank it the least satisfying of Alexander Payne’s many good to excellent films. It seemed like three or four otherwise unrelated film shorts stitched together. It never gelled. Not a bad film. Just not a good one. Still, worth seeing on video.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nativeomahan wrote:We watched it last night on video. I rank it the least satisfying of Alexander Payne’s many good to excellent films. It seemed like three or four otherwise unrelated film shorts stitched together. It never gelled. Not a bad film. Just not a good one. Still, worth seeing on video.
The premise just sounds too dumb to me! Sorry.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I just rented this from Redbox as well this weekend. The movie could have been so much more. It was so slow and as others have mentioned, everything seemed stitched together. The idea of downsizing was a good one, but the movie didn't really take a theme. Overall, it was mostly about saving the environment and hoping to reduce waste. I kept thinking throughout the movie, how they could have gone so many different ways. This could have even been made a comedy, but outside of Matt Damon's acting, the movie left a lot to be desired.

The few shots of Omaha in the movie were very brief.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I will be honest, I have no intention of watching this. I have watced all of his others but this did not sound good, and after reading the above posts I don't see myself making the time.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I heard bad things aince the premier. We rented it last week...woof. It was horrible. Omaha shots were cool but man that movie sucked.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Apparently we're in the minority again. My wife and I liked it quite a bit.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:I heard bad things aince the premier. We rented it last week...woof. It was horrible. Omaha shots were cool but man that movie sucked.
Maybe this is Payne's Billy Jack Goes To Washington? :) :) :)
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omababe wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:I heard bad things aince the premier. We rented it last week...woof. It was horrible. Omaha shots were cool but man that movie sucked.
Payne seems to made a number of movies that disappoint. Not sure About Schmidt was very good either. Glad I saved my money when I skipped Downsizing.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Payne seems to made a number of movies that disappoint. Not sure About Schmidt was very good either. Glad I saved my money when I skipped Downsizing.
I really enjoyed About Schmidt and I do want to support local talent, but Downsizing just sounds too hokey!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It’s an interesting enough film to watch, if you are into film. Mostly so you can dissect it and talk about what went wrong, and how it could have easily (in my view) been fixed. Parts seems comedic. And there was the story of Matt Damon’s character’s relationship with his wife, which seemed to be a focus of the early portions of the film, but then inexplicably collapsed and completely disappeared less than halfway into the film. Yes there was an environmental message, but that seemed at once underemphasized and overwrought. The whole concept is science fiction that seems ludicrous on its face, but in the film everyone just sort of shrugged their shoulders and immediately accepted it as no big deal (no pun intended). There was some good acting, and portions were rather fascinating to watch. Rather like a big old fashioned train wreck, I guess.