Chaima African Market and Cuisine

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Chaima African Market and Cuisine

Post by Coyote »

Over the weekend, I found myself at a place which I have a hard time judging, since this is my first meal at the hands of a cook from Togo, West Africa. But Chaima was a gracious host. When we asked about her recipes she came out and explained almost every secret of her kitchen. From her Fufu experience, her 'corn dumplings' process, to their spices and dips, she smilingly and generously gave her time to us.

When my friend ordered fried Turkey, they tried to explain to her it was the Turkey Tail, so she changed to fish, but I had to try it out, since it came with Plantains, and I love my fried Plantains!... and a noodle and vegetable concoction. We were warned it was spicy, I do like my spicy also, but I am very glad it came on the side. I presumed that my spicy tolerance would be no match for West African heat... Hello!

I was impressed. I only got a little of my friends Corn Dumplings, which she likened to tofu, which was basically starch which goes with any sauce ( I think for Fufu and other roots, its always the sauces...) she took home to try as a soup thickener...

OK, so the atmosphere totally lacks, the big screen in front of me had on paraplegic downhill skiing, not what I associate with Togo... the tables and chairs were sparse, but you come here just for the cuisine intrigue and adventure. I want to go back and steal a few more secrets from Chaima, once I know what questions to ask. This restaurant will not only broaden your culinary horizons, it will make you appreciate a whole new culture!

Chaima African Market and Cuisine located just north of Jimmy John's on 107th and Q

Fried Plantains, Fried Turkey Tail, Sauces from Hades

Simple Earthy décor

Chaima and I