The Lantern Fest 8/29

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

The Lantern Fest 8/29

Post by Brad »

Apparently there is a thing called the "The Lantern Fest" and its coming to Omaha...

http://www.thelanternfest.com/

SATURDAY, AUG 29TH 2015
http://www.thelanternfest.com/locations/

Hope we continue to get a lot of rain...
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: The Lantern Fest 8/29

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah, I keep hoping they ban these. They do look cool, but what is to keep them from falling on someone's house and starting a fire?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

May say Omaha but looks like the actual location is at the race track in Pacific Junction Iowa.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah, I keep hoping they ban these. They do look cool, but what is to keep them from falling on someone's house and starting a fire?
A couple of houses did start on fire from them in years past. I saw about 3 dozen of them fly over 144th Q last night. They were all traveling in a NW direction. I was thinking last night that this is just another sign of how screwed up things are anymore. How is it that these fire bombs are still allowed to be sold in this country? And are the people launching these fire bombs actually to stupid to care that they may burn a house down or is it they just don't care? :?:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Yeah, I keep hoping they ban these. They do look cool, but what is to keep them from falling on someone's house and starting a fire?
A couple of houses did start on fire from them in years past. I saw about 3 dozen of them fly over 144th Q last night. They were all traveling in a NW direction. I was thinking last night that this is just another sign of how screwed up things are anymore. How is it that these fire bombs are still allowed to be sold in this country? And are the people launching these fire bombs actually to stupid to care that they may burn a house down or is it they just don't care? :?:
It's not about facts or tangible risk, its that they care and are supporting a good cause...I have a hard time with these. Fires are obvious risk, but so is just the trash from all the ones that simply burnout and drop into someone's yard.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thousands of paper lanterns to light up sky next month at Lantern Fe
The event near Omaha will be held at Raceway Park of the Midlands in Pacific Junction, Iowa, about 25 minutes away from downtown Omaha. People can start arriving at 3 p.m., and the lanterns will be released once the sun goes down - usually around 8 p.m.
Although lanterns containing open flames are sometimes released at events such as weddings and memorial services, some have concerns about their safety. In May, news outlets reported that lanterns released at a Lantern Fest in Gastonia, North Carolina hit a cell phone tower and caused a fire. The organization is currently working on an insurance settlement for the incident.
"We worked closely with the fire department and local fire authorities (beforehand)," Humiston said. "There was a fire. The way we understand it, it didn't cause any significant damage, and didn't result in any service disruption."
Humiston said organizers contact local fire departments ahead of the event and take any precautions they order in addition to following a regular fire safety plan. That includes not releasing lanterns if it's too windy.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

I have a very hard time supporting these national novelty event companies. They also do "Color Me Rad" "Slide The City" and "The Dirty Dash" I do a lot of running events and local Non-Profit events do it much better in most cases. This seems like something that a non-profit could put on and keep the money here.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omaha may ban sky lanterns
KETV wrote:Lincoln has banned sky lanterns, which are most commonly used around Independence Day, and now Omaha may follow suit.

Omaha's fire chief proposed the ordinance, citing the extreme fire threat they pose. Each lantern carries an open flame and floats uncontrolled.

Sky lanterns can land on rooftops or in fields or wooded areas without anyone knowing.

Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert supports the ordinance.

The proposal will be on the City Council agenda on Sept. 15.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The "Burn Omaha to the ground" festival might not happen??
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:The "Burn Omaha to the ground" festival might not happen??
Lucky for us they are holding it in Iowa and with those winds from the west Des Moines is screwed. Moline better watch their |expletive| too!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The announced festival was last weekend. Did anyone go,or has seen any photos of it?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a picture off of their facebook page. Looks like there are some videos on there as well. https://www.facebook.com/events/885669078189581/

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is a picture off of their facebook page. Looks like there are some videos on there as well. https://www.facebook.com/events/885669078189581/

Thanks

But being the sceptic I am being on their Facebook page this could ahve been taken anywhere that they sponsored one though
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:But being the sceptic I am being on their Facebook page this could ahve been taken anywhere that they sponsored one though
True, but I believe that they were taken in Pacific Junction where the event was held because these are photos people submitted that attended the event.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:But being the sceptic I am being on their Facebook page this could ahve been taken anywhere that they sponsored one though
True, but I believe that they were taken in Pacific Junction where the event was held because these are photos people submitted that attended the event.

Good to know and I hope so.

Just a little sceptical becuase of the lack of publicity in advance and coverage at the time. At least that I saw.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like they are having the event again this year in Pacific Junction. It is going to take place on April 9.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like they are having the event again this year in Pacific Junction. It is going to take place on April 9.

Sounds like it may be the last in the area too. Nebraska has outlawed the lanterns and Iowa has pending legislation that sounds like it will go into effect that will require anything like this to be tethered.