Piccolo Pete Papillion - CLOSED

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Piccolo Pete Papillion - CLOSED

Post by Coyote »

Piccolo Pete will be closing at the end of the year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Piccolo Pete closing

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is sad to hear. That is the first place I have had prime rib and that was only 2 years ago. I will have to try to get back there before they close. If it is anything like Venice Inn, it will probably be a mad house before they close.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:That is sad to hear. That is the first place I have had prime rib and that was only 2 years ago. I will have to try to get back there before they close. If it is anything like Venice Inn, it will probably be a mad house before they close.
A dozen of us eOmahaForum-ers made reservations at the Venice Inn before it closed. They made a killing before they closed. Maybe we should do the same with Piccolos... Forum meetup anyone?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The difference is, Venice Inn had pretty good food in a retro/fun atmosphere.
Blaming west Omaha chain restaurants for the failure of a downtown area restaurant is beyond silly. It is implausibly stupid. The majority of new full service restaurant investment in Omaha seems to be going to mid-town/downtown and other areas east of 72nd street. That certainly seems to be where the more interesting, chef driven restaurants are popping up. Places like Piccolo's never adapted to society's improved expectations about what a restaurant meal should taste like. It isn't canned vegetables, cheap pasta and fried everything else.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I drove over to Pizza King in CB and had a killer NY strip this week. Better than any steak I have had at Piccolos. I go to Malara's and get great Sicilian food home cooked. I go to Louie M's frlor breakfast and have a good time each time.

I mention this because I have to drive from evil West O right past them and I do so and then some. Sorry, but better food exists and I will eat there instead.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Piccolo Pete will be closing at the end of the year.
Very very sad! :(

That is truly the last of the dynasty. :(

Last time I was there, last May IIRC, they seemed to be doing a very good business.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sometimes, I like a good prime rib, in it's purest form (with a baked potato and iceberg lettuce salad :) ). The old Italian steakhouses have always provided that, at a decent price.

I will miss them.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stargazer wrote:Sometimes, I like a good prime rib, in it's purest form (with a baked potato and iceberg lettuce salad :) ). The old Italian steakhouses have always provided that, at a decent price.

I will miss them.
Hit the Rustic Inn in Ft Calhoun on the weekends. Good prime rib and onion rings.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bigredmed wrote:Hit the Rustic Inn in Ft Calhoun on the weekends. Good prime rib and onion rings.
Anthony's has very tasty prime rib. So does Brother Sebastians.

So does Farmer Brown's in Elkhorn, but there's almost always a wait and no reservations.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Piccolo's is now having a Fundraiser:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Piccolo's is now having a Fundraiser:
I don't want to click on the link... does this mean they are trying to stay open, or what is the fundraising for...?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Piccolo's is now having a Fundraiser:
I don't want to click on the link... does this mean they are trying to stay open, or what is the fundraising for...?
Hello, my name is Scott Sheehan; I’m the youngest grandson of Anthony J. Piccolo founder of Piccolo's Restaurant.

Many of you recently read that Piccolo’s is planning on closing the end of 2015 if there isn’t a subsequent management plan to continue. The response from the community has been overwhelming in support of Piccolo’s to continue far into the future. With that kind of support of the community, it is my plan to continue the legacy of the Piccolo brand by continuing the restaurant operations in South Omaha for decades to come.

Here are a few of my reasons why.

We are more than just a restaurant and business; we have operated for 81 years of service in the same location, shared life and memories with many of you and been a major part of your community.
We are the 5th generation from Italian immigrants.
We are family, friends who value our employees.
We treasure our customer’s birthdays, engagements, graduation's wedding's anniversary's, baby showers, loved one’s memories and much more.
With your support I will use all funds donated for restoration of Piccolo's to continue jobs for our loyal staff and revitalize the restaurant for loyal customers.

I'm in the process of seeking financial support through multiple financing methods to fund a successful transformation which include Gofundme.

As a part of my plan; I’m accepting and appreciate your contribution through Gofundme as a loyal Piccolo fan.

It is with great pride that through your contribution; I say thank you for the love and support and we look forward to a bright future with you at Piccolo’s to continue sharing life together.

Thanks,

Scott Sheehan
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Interesting.
Isn't Scott the one who is running the Food Truck right now?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Interesting.
Yes he is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Interesting.
Yes he is.
Well I hope he is wise enough to modernize the menu...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Probably should have done a Kickstarter so there are rewards to donating, thats what Localmotive did. This gofundme is trying to raise 125K in pure donations.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Probably should have done a Kickstarter so there are rewards to donating, thats what Localmotive did. This gofundme is trying to raise 125K in pure donations.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is a bunch of |expletive|. Like what the now defunct Vegetarian place on Farnam tried to do. If you want to raise money for an undercapitalized business go to your bank with a business plan and qualify for a loan. Or hit up family and friends. Quit begging for money from past customers to keep your failing business afloat! Jeez! How incredibly tacky. With all the free publicity and decades of experience Piccolos has under their belt, perhaps they need to realize that the reason they are closing is a lack of public patronage. The community has moved on, and discovered what good food focusing on seasonal offerings tastes like. Now that they have seen the city lights they aren't going back to the farm.
http://leoadambiga.com/2015/08/30/omaha ... xperience/
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Piccolos was an OK spot even back in the 70's. No one went out of their way to go there. They haven't really built up their place. They rely on big family groups going there out of tradition and these are ending.

There are many other places that are simply better.

As for crowd funding, I simply avoid them considering that Kickstarter and the other sites have been used by fraudsters and when discovered, these companies deny any responsibility for their misrepresentation.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nativeomahan wrote:This is a bunch of |expletive|. Like what the now defunct Vegetarian place on Farnam tried to do. If you want to raise money for an undercapitalized business go to your bank with a business plan and qualify for a loan. Or hit up family and friends. Quit begging for money from past customers to keep your failing business afloat! Jeez! How incredibly tacky. With all the free publicity and decades of experience Piccolos has under their belt, perhaps they need to realize that the reason they are closing is a lack of public patronage. The community has moved on, and discovered what good food focusing on seasonal offerings tastes like. NRow that they have seen the city lights they aren't going back to the farm.
http://leoadambiga.com/2015/08/30/omaha ... xperience/

Exactly. I was going to post that same thought but figured I would be crucified for telling the truth again. They can not be serious but oh my god they are! Going on GOFUNDME and asking for handouts is pretty much the virtual reality version of going and standing by a Walmart with a Will Work For Food Sign. Piccolo Petes sure ain't going broke from spending all their money on high quality food. For your bread at Piccolos they serve you a couple slices of Rotella Bread. Some love that Rotella Viena bread me not so much. I sure dont want to go out to eat and be served bread that I have a whole loaf of at home that only cost $2. Come on Piccolos how lame is that. Cook some fresh rolls or something for Pete's sakes! :P
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I used to like Rotellas bread. Then I got my driver's license, registered to vote and became an adult. The bread reminds me of the Wonder Bread popular with kids just getting their adult teeth.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:I used to like Rotellas bread. Then I got my driver's license, registered to vote and became an adult. The bread reminds me of the Wonder Bread popular with kids just getting their adult teeth.
Oh, come on... I have twice lived just blocks from 108th & Harrison, and again now get .75 loaves every week. I love Rotellas.
When I moved to CO, I went through withdrawal symptoms... Name a bread made locally that doesn't kick |expletive| over Rotellas... Hmmmmmm?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I used to like Rotellas bread. Then I got my driver's license, registered to vote and became an adult. The bread reminds me of the Wonder Bread popular with kids just getting their adult teeth.
Oh, come on... I have twice lived just blocks from 108th & Harrison, and again now get .75 loaves every week. I love Rotellas.
When I moved to CO, I went through withdrawal symptoms... Name a bread made locally that doesn't kick |expletive| over Rotellas... Hmmmmmm?

That cheap bread from the Rotellas outlet is bread that has sat on a grocery store shelf for a week already and has been returned because it is dating out. Some people may not know it but as a rule the fresher bread is the better it tastes. I would take a fresh loaf of bread from any grocery store bakery in town over a loaf of that week old Rotellas bread from their outlet. Better still, go buy some loaves of any brand frozen bread dough and let it rise and cook it in your oven and its 10 times better then that Rubber er I mean Rotellas bread. :lafcry:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Rotella makes many kinds of bread. Go check out their company store and find out. The bread you disparage is a classical restaurant bread.

Generally, you and I agree about this place. It simply lived on inertia and Warren Buffet for too many years without pushing themselves to get better. Now it shows.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:

That cheap bread from the Rotellas outlet is bread that has sat on a grocery store shelf for a week already and has been returned because it is dating out. Some people may not know it but as a rule the fresher bread is the better it tastes. I would take a fresh loaf of bread from any grocery store bakery in town over a loaf of that week old Rotellas bread from their outlet. Better still, go buy some loaves of any brand frozen bread dough and let it rise and cook it in your oven and its 10 times better then that Rubber er I mean Rotellas bread. :lafcry:
Again grandpa, you are talking out of your |expletive|. That cheap bread is bread that they can't sell to restaurants because it didn't measure up to perfect standards, the size was wrong, the crust wasn't just right... It could be bread just an hour old. They don't throw it away because they know they can sell it for pennies on the dollar and still make money off if it. :yes:
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Again grandpa, you are talking out of your |expletive|. That cheap bread is bread that they can't sell to restaurants because it didn't measure up to perfect standards, the size was wrong, the crust wasn't just right... It could be bread just an hour old. They don't throw it away because they know they can sell it for pennies on the dollar and still make money off if it. :yes:

Enjoy your stale bread then!
omahacacher
Home Owners Association

Post by omahacacher »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Coyote wrote:

Enjoy your stale bread then!
I was going to say, "Cue up the irrelevant and asinine comment from Grandpa" but he beat me to it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Large bakeries have retail outlets primarily for production overruns and stuff like that. I don't think it would be economical to backhaul and re-sell bread at retail.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I spoke to a member of the Caniglia restaurant family today, who dined at Picollo's last week. He asked one of the ladies who owns the restaurant about the rumor that they were trying to keep the place open past the holidays. They said no, they weren't, but that a son was trying to beg online for money to buy it from them. They are not supporting his efforts, but can't legally stop him from going online to do what he is doing. The building and land is for sale, and if a developer offers them a fair price they will sell it before the end of the year.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

The "donation ask" is ridiculous for a number of reasons:

1.) How did the expenditures overtake the revenue? After 80 years or whatever, they obviously own the building so one key cost is out the window.

2.) The obvious answer to one is they just aren't getting the diners anymore - so how is a one-time cash infusion going to change that long-term?

3.) It's pretty disgusting to ask for donations from diners when it's widely known that one of the richest men in the world regularly eats there.

I strongly disliked Piccolo Pete's the restaurant before. I hadn't gotten around trying Scott's truck yet, but I firmly never will now. If your decades-old business which gets free publicity due to Warren Buffet can't make it.....a donation would simply be throwing good money in after bad.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Piccolo’s, including a parking area and eight nearby rental homes, will go on the market Sept. 1.
I haven't seen... Is this now on the market? I don't think Scott has much time to find investors to turn this into a Banquet Hall/Music Venue, but maybe someone else could. I don't think the land has a very high marketable value, I have never seen it as a desirable location, I may be wrong, but I don't see this area being developed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And here it is - $1,060,000:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Makes you wonder if Virgil Anderson (Anderson Excavating) will by it. He seems to buy a lot of property in older parts of town and his office is right across the street in that old brick building.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Last couple of days, folks.

Omaha.com picture dump over here -> {here}
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently bought by Taqueria El Rey for $470k
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 am Apparently bought by Taqueria El Rey for $470k
Good Mexican food in a big space. If they can avoid the wrong crowd showing up, like we have had a couple of times in the past, this will be a nice addition to the city.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Coyote wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 am Apparently bought by Taqueria El Rey for $470k
Did they sell the entire building? I had heard that Piccolo's Food Truck was still using the kitchen.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Heard from the Twisted Vine folks on Friday night at the Papillion Days Mayor's Dinner that a new Piccolo's concept is opening up next door to them in downtown Papillion next month. I'd been wondering what was going on in that bay as there's been visible remodeling going on for some time. Sounds like they intended to be open already but there's significant work that had to be done to the electrical and plumbing.

It's a fairly small bay -- will be mostly takeout and a home base for the food truck, but there will be a handful of tables inside. They're excited about it as it will be a permanent food option next to them in addition to the rotating series of food trucks that park in front and back.

(And sorry, mods, about putting this here if you'd prefer it be on its own -- I didn't want to clutter the board with a new thread but if you want to move it please do!)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Your comment is fine here..

I wonder since it’s a potential Piccolo’s concept, are former family/employees involved and will the menu/recipes be basically the same (an old school Omaha Italian Steakhouse with good food and reasonable prices for lunch and dinner)?..

Thanks for the intel. It’ll be interesting to see how this evolves. Maybe we can eventually change the thread name to “Piccolo Pete’s Resurrected” :thumb:

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!