The Union for Contemporary Art (24th & Lake)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

The Union for Contemporary Art (24th & Lake)

Post by Coyote »

The Union is moving into the Blue Lion Center on 24th & Lake. They will be undertaking a 2.3M renovation here.
Brad
City Council

Re: The Union for Contemporary Art (24th & Lake)

Post by Brad »

Photo Update. Photos were taken 4/28/2016

1. Looking from the front towards the back. Ceiling will be left open.
[img]jpg[/img]

2. Looking down the main hallway no ceiling so that old roof will be left exposed.
[img]jpg[/img]

3. Another view towards the back.
[img]jpg[/img]

4. Looking back towards the front.
[img]jpg[/img]

5. Looking towards the front.
[img]jpg[/img]

6. This area will be the pottery area and a kiln will be installed back here.
[img]jpg[/img]

7. In the other building, there are 9 similar spaced to this, 3 on each floor (2 storied plus basement).
[img]jpg[/img]

8. Exterior Looking NE
[img]jpg[/img]

9. Exterior Looking SE
[img]jpg[/img]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This building really turned out nice:
http://www.midcoastrecord.com/unionalleypoyner
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

New artists residences renderings are supposed to be released on the 17th this month.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Concept for the new development.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

What an incredible use of the space available on that lot. Excited to see how the middle "community" area is used.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I have a feeling this will be a waste. It will be abandoned within 5 years.
Jim Flowers rules!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Silverspoon wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:12 am I have a feeling this will be a waste. It will be abandoned within 5 years.
I hope you're wrong, but the location does make this a difficult spot. At least for now.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Louie wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am
Silverspoon wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:12 am I have a feeling this will be a waste. It will be abandoned within 5 years.
I hope you're wrong, but the location does make this a difficult spot. At least for now.
Agreed

Gentrification wont work in Omaha. Also, my grandma lives up the street from there, and nobody around there gives a damn about art. Stupid hipsters...
Jim Flowers rules!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Silverspoon wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am
Louie wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:42 am
Agreed

Gentrification wont work in Omaha. Also, my grandma lives up the street from there, and nobody around there gives a darn about art. Stupid hipsters...
I mean gentrification can work ala benson, blackstone, etc. But 24th and lake is a much tougher sell.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Artist Lofts is kind of a new buzzword for affordable housing. I don't know enough details about this project to know what they are funding it with, but that could be the case for a location like this.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think it'll do fine, but maybe not as well as it would if it were in a location without the reputation that 24th and Lake has.

If you set out to improve an area like that around 24th and Lake, I'm not sure following Dick Florida's example and building artist lofts is the way to do it.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Gentrification has certainly occurred in Omaha and will continue to do so. The Leavenworth neighborhood could be a textbook example.

Because it is an actual arts organization developing these, I assume they are actually interested in developing these as artists residences rather than affordable housing in general. Maybe the "boogie man" location will help them better reach their target market in that regard, and not just people looking for affordable housing.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Taco wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm Gentrification has certainly occurred in Omaha and will continue to do so. The Leavenworth neighborhood could be a textbook example.

Because it is an actual arts organization developing these, I assume they are actually interested in developing these as artists residences rather than affordable housing in general. Maybe the "boogie man" location will help them better reach their target market in that regard, and not just people looking for affordable housing.
What part of Leavenworth are you referring to?
Jim Flowers rules!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 am Image

With the board framing like that, it almost looks unfinished.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Is this the project that has some sort of connection to Theaster Gates?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Silverspoon wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 pm
Taco wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm Gentrification has certainly occurred in Omaha and will continue to do so. The Leavenworth neighborhood could be a textbook example.

What part of Leavenworth are you referring to?
http://www.governing.com/gov-data/omaha ... -data.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

The area I am referring to as gentrification central is the area bound by Harney on the north and Poppleton on the south between Park ave and Turner blvd. When I was in high school ~10 years ago this area was not very nice or safe at night. I recall seeing prostitutes on both Leavenworth/Park and 24th/Leavenworth intersections. Now the "no cruising" signs are still posted, but rents have doubled and the $8 bread has moved in across the street from the paleteria. The most glaring example is the new rowhomes selling (or not) for $300k+!

On the other hand Omaha Cowboy, your map doesn't really make sense. It has the area around Adams park gentrifying? The only development going on there is by Habitat which I wouldnt exactly count as gentrification.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Taco wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 pm On the other hand Omaha Cowboy, your map doesn't really make sense. It has the area around Adams park gentrifying? The only development going on there is by Habitat which I wouldnt exactly count as gentrification.
Well, lol, it’s not exacly my map.. But it is from governing.com and it shows, in the map from 2000-present, which Omaha census tracts were eligible for gentrification (light blue) and census tracts that did experience gentrification (dark blue). The site has gentrification maps for about 50 major cities..

Agree or disagree if you will...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Taco wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 pm The area I am referring to as gentrification central is the area bound by Harney on the north and Poppleton on the south between Park ave and Turner blvd. When I was in high school ~10 years ago this area was not very nice or safe at night. I recall seeing prostitutes on both Leavenworth/Park and 24th/Leavenworth intersections. Now the "no cruising" signs are still posted, but rents have doubled and the $8 bread has moved in across the street from the paleteria. The most glaring example is the new rowhomes selling (or not) for $300k+!

On the other hand Omaha Cowboy, your map doesn't really make sense. It has the area around Adams park gentrifying? The only development going on there is by Habitat which I wouldnt exactly count as gentrification.
Area was extremely safe around 1996-1998 when I was running the neighborhoods at night when I lived in a shitty apt with my cousin at 33rd Howard. I constantly hung out on 42nd and Mason, and had to ride my bike there. Not rough whatsoever.
Jim Flowers rules!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The Union for Contemporary Art announces plans for a Studio Theater Project
VIVIAN CANIGLIA
The Union for Contemporary Art hosted a public information meeting on July 15th to announce plans for a new community gathering space to be built in the F.J. Carey Block building on North 24th Street. Along with preserving the historic building, the Union aims to expand their current theatre programming.

The F.J. Carey Block building, located at 2401 North 24th Street, is 107 years old. The National Park service marked the building as historically-significant in 2016. After operating as multiple laundry businesses and most recently a daycare, the space is in need of significant repairs to preserve its foundation. Omaha architecture firm Alley Poyner Macchietto is drafting plans for the reconstruction. The Union hopes to begin structural repairs on the building in late summer 2021 and start full renovations in early 2022.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Welp, so much for this project failing I guess.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$5 5 million Black Box Theater Project The Union for Contemporary Art is One Step Closer to its Com

Read the story here- http://unomahanews.com/2022/04/06/5-5...

The Omaha News streams live every Wednesday at 4 p.m. on YouTube, Facebook and The Knowledge Network (TKN) during the academic year. The half-hour newscast also airs state-wide on NET reaching all of Nebraska’s 1.9 million residents.

Our mission is to fully immerse University of Nebraska at Omaha journalists into the business of reporting and investigating live, local stories that impact our region. Located in the Community of Public Affairs and Community Service building, our newsroom is home to state-of-the-art facilities and award-winning journalism.