Paying for water at restaurants

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

omaproud
Home Owners Association

Paying for water at restaurants

Post by omaproud »

How prevalent is having to pay for a glass of water at area restaurants? A friend recently told me that Danny's Bar and Grill charges $1 for a glass of water with a meal. I don't think I've ever had to pay for a glass of water. I do think it is becoming more common that restaurants do not provide water unless you ask for it.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Paying for water at restaurants

Post by nebugeater »

omaproud wrote:How prevalent is having to pay for a glass of water at area restaurants? A friend recently told me that Danny's Bar and Grill charges $1 for a glass of water with a meal. I don't think I've ever had to pay for a glass of water. I do think it is becoming more common that restaurants do not provide water unless you ask for it.

Not something I have seen happen unless it is bottled water or at least noticed anyway.

See convince stores charge for a glass if Ice / water and I get that.

Quick google search came up with this among other results.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/restau ... 2014-10-02
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

To me this is just like charging a fee when someone pays with a credit card. Business owners should set their prices like everyone is going to drink water and pay with a credit card. Then when they pay with cash or order a drink, its like a little bonus in their pocket. Just makes business look tacky when they start nickel and diming people.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

People seem bound and determined to drag me into Danny's. I don't know why but I just dont like the looks of that place. Does that make me a bad guy? Everyone says how good the food is but the place just dont look that inviting from 72nd. Sorry! Someones going to drag me in there one of these days but hopefully it wont be this month!
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People seem bound and determined to drag me into Danny's. I don't know why but I just dont like the looks of that place. Does that make me a bad guy? Everyone says how good the food is but the place just dont look that inviting from 72nd. Sorry! Someones going to drag me in there one of these days but hopefully it wont be this month!
If you ever get dragged there, get the Monte Christo. Yummy.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

There is a chain of beer and burger bars in SD and ND called JL Beers that won't give you a glass, and instead will only offer you a bottle of water for $2. At least as of two years ago. Yelp reviews are just one after another complaining about it.

I had dinner, two or three beers and still couldn't get a glass of water. It was astonishing.

The place has great food and a ton of beer on tap, but I won't go there again out of principle. Ridiculous policy.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

43county wrote:There is a chain of beer and burger bars in SD and ND called JL Beers that won't give you a glass, and instead will only offer you a bottle of water for $2. At least as of two years ago. Yelp reviews are just one after another complaining about it.

I had dinner, two or three beers and still couldn't get a glass of water. It was astonishing.

The place has great food and a ton of beer on tap, but I won't go there again out of principle. Ridiculous policy.

I was in JL Beers just last weekend and they have changed that policy because of complaints. :D

http://jlbeers.com/323/
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

So does anybody know of other Omaha area restaurants that make you pay for a glass of tap water?