heck Yeah!

Boston 40th Anniversary Tour

July 20th, 7pm at Baxter Arena!

:banger: :banger: :banger:
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Re: Boston 40th Anniversary Tour @ Baxter

Post by cdub »

I'm always a little leery about seeing a band without its lead singer. They can find suitable replacements but the voice is harder to manage than a fill in guitar.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looking way back....I saw them May 15, 1979 at the civic. It was the Don't Look Back tour.
http://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map ... +Look+Back

Great show. They had an electronic organ that shook the place with its super-low bass. It won't be the same without Brad Delp, but still worth seeing.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That would make a great thread on its own... At what point does a super band no longer exist but only in name. Is it the vocalist that makes sound? AC/DC without Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, and now Axl Rose? Journey, Van Halen...

Boston may have had Brad Delp, but Boston was always Tom Scholz, just like The Beach Boys was always Brian Wilson. The best minds in music, but not great stage personnel.

So the question remains... What/who can you take out of a band before it no longer exists? Before its "Band Member's" version of xxx?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:Looking way back....I saw them May 15, 1979 at the civic. It was the Don't Look Back tour.

Great show. They had an electronic organ that shook the place with its super-low bass. It won't be the same without Brad Delp, but still worth seeing.

I saw that concert and it was not that good. I remember that Boston in concert sounded nothing at all like Boston on the record. I saw Boston a couple times after that and the concerts were never nothing even close to the music from the record.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Some bands are just studio bands...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Looking way back....I saw them May 15, 1979 at the civic. It was the Don't Look Back tour.

I saw that concert and it was not that good. I remember that Boston in concert sounded nothing at all like Boston on the record. I saw Boston a couple times after that and the concerts were never nothing even close to the music from the record.
Well, we never agree on anything anyway, do we? ......Maybe you were just too scared of being downtown to enjoy the show!

Tom Scholz was too much of a perfectionist to put on a crappy show. The conventional wisdom is they could never match the perfection of the first album in live performances. But I remember it sounding very close. But I was very young back then and might not have known better. I guess the key question is how do they sound now?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:That would make a great thread on its own... At what point does a super band no longer exist but only in name. Is it the vocalist that makes sound? AC/DC without Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, and now Axl Rose? Journey, Van Halen...

Boston may have had Brad Delp, but Boston was always Tom Scholz, just like The Beach Boys was always Brian Wilson. The best minds in music, but not great stage personnel.

So the question remains... What/who can you take out of a band before it no longer exists? Before its "Band Member's" version of xxx?
Most bands have a dominant front man/woman or leader and are never quite the same again without them. It will be interesting to see how the Eagles do without Glenn Fry. Jackson Browne stepped in for him at the 2016 Grammys and did a good job. But he's a legend on his own. With Don Henley and Joe Walsh still in the band they'll continue to be a big draw.

I think Brian Johnson probably advanced AC/DC as far as they would have gone with Bon Scott.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:
Coyote wrote:That would make a great thread on its own... At what point does a super band no longer exist but only in name. Is it the vocalist that makes sound? AC/DC without Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, and now Axl Rose? Journey, Van Halen...

Most bands have a dominant front man/woman or leader and are never quite the same again without them. It will be interesting to see how the Eagles do without Glenn Fry. Jackson Browne stepped in for him at the 2016 Grammys and did a good job. But he's a legend on his own. With Don Henley and Joe Walsh still in the band they'll continue to be a big draw.

I think Brian Johnson probably advanced AC/DC as far as they would have gone with Bon Scott.

Don Henley has been interviewed and said they will no longer tour. That being said time has a way of changing those decisions too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Don Henley has been interviewed and said they will no longer tour. That being said time has a way of changing those decisions too.
I was at the Eagle's Farewell Tour at the Qwest Center years ago... :;):
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Well, we never agree on anything anyway, do we? ......Maybe you were just too scared of being downtown to enjoy the show!

Tom Scholz was too much of a perfectionist to put on a crappy show. The conventional wisdom is they could never match the perfection of the first album in live performances. But I remember it sounding very close. But I was very young back then and might not have known better. I guess the key question is how do they sound now?

Like Coyote said some bands are studio bands. That is exactly what the problem was with Boston. I was expecting that 1979 Boston concert to be awesome and it was a dud.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Don Henley has been interviewed and said they will no longer tour. That being said time has a way of changing those decisions too.
I was there too!!!!

But there were having fun with that concept then. If I remeber correctly the actual name of the tour was the
FAREWELL 1 TOUR
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
Coyote wrote:
I was there too!!!!

But there were having fun with that concept then. If I remeber correctly the actual name of the tour was the
FAREWELL 1 TOUR
I seem to recall something like that... I was in the 11th row... Right behind the lady that had her hands in the air as if she didn't care - who was right behind her...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Like Coyote said some bands are studio bands. That is exactly what the problem was with Boston. I was expecting that 1979 Boston concert to be awesome and it was a dud.
Not to beat a dead horse.... but here's a video from the same tour about a month later at Giants Stadium. Low quality recording with messed-up compression, but it gives you an idea of their performance back then...
[youtube][/youtube]

Live performances were always a bit different than studio recordings, especially in 1979. But judge for yourself.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

That sounded pretty good to me. Concerts rarely sound exactly like the record for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is the guys probably get a little bored and like to change things up.

I think the AC/DC question is different than most bands. They accomplished more with Brian than Bon. You can say you prefer Bon but most that do that are most likely just taking the grumpy old guy stance (ahhh, it was always better back then).
Also, I'm not saying there arent great performances even without original singers, just that you never quite know. Heck I've seen some really great shows by cover bands! Especially if you've never seen a particular song performed in person, that can still be pretty cool.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

cdub wrote:That sounded pretty good to me. Concerts rarely sound exactly like the record for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is the guys probably get a little bored and like to change things up.

I think the AC/DC question is different than most bands. They accomplished more with Brian than Bon. You can say you prefer Bon but most that do that are most likely just taking the grumpy old guy stance (ahhh, it was always better back then).
Also, I'm not saying there arent great performances even without original singers, just that you never quite know. Heck I've seen some really great shows by cover bands! Especially if you've never seen a particular song performed in person, that can still be pretty cool.

I watched that 10 minute video and it supports my case that Boston was a nasty concert in reality in 1979. That concert is a mess. The vocals are terrible. The timing is all over the place. Nope I dont like it and I can see why I was so disappointed in 1979. :(

No we are not taking the grumpy old guy stance! You dont replace guys like Bon. Bon was a 1 of a kind who was a born natural to music. Brian had to work hard to replace Bon and sometimes he pulled it off and many times he didnt. I think Brian invented and manufactured the voice he used for AC/DC and it was not his natural voice and it took a heck of a toll on his vocal cords from day 1. Yes Brian has done a good job but he was never the talent Bon was.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'll have to agree to disagree about Boston's 1979 tour, Gramps. I can say with certainty that they didn't sound any better than their studio recordings, but all-in-all I wasn't disappointed. If you compare Boston's live recordings with Led Zepplin's, Boston sounds much closer to their studio work. Zepplin ad-libs a lot more and turns it into more of a jam session, which is a whole different experience.

There are some groups that sound better live than in the studio. U2 for example. Not that they ever sound bad in the studio, but their live performances take it to an even higher level. You could say the same about Coldplay, although they aren't as consistent as U2. (I know some here now despise Coldplay), but their last two Omaha shows were great, in my opinion.

Now, to decide if I want to see Boston again....I saw Blue Oyster Cult back in the day too. No interest in seeing Foghat.