choke
Human Relations

Blue & Fly

Post by choke »

http://www.omaha.com/go/review-new-chin ... 035cf.html

Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:
Review: New Chinese restaurant Blue & Fly holds lots of the familiar plus 
a few surprises
Owner Yue “Joe” Cong told me after my three visits that he decided on that menu — a mix of familiar and unfamiliar — for very specific reasons. He knew, after working for a number of years at his father’s restaurant, Hunan Garden, that he wanted to focus on what he calls “authentic” Chinese food, dishes he grew up eating in China before he moved here at age 21, and dishes he’d eaten outside of Omaha, in cities such as New York and Chicago.
I have been here a few times. It is pretty good and has options varying from your typical American-Chinese food. The braised short ribs are delicious.
Attachments
20151204_195603.jpg
20151204_195603.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Last edited by choke on Thu May 05, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Blue & Fly

Post by daveoma »

I've had Chinese soups like those at other restaurants and they're really good. I hope they have hot pot too!
Omaha1000
Home Owners Association

Post by Omaha1000 »

It's nice having another choice for some more authentic style Chinese food that is not so far from midtown. Another cool place that has real Japanese snacks and Chinese drinks is Thirst Tea at Midtown Crossing.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I tried Blue & Fly last autumn. Odd name, btw. I really expected to like it. They have gorgeous plates and utensils. The remainder of the space is pure strip mall Asian eatery, however. And the menu, while offering somewhat authentic Chinese items, fell flat in execution. My dish was supposed to focus on eggplant. I could barely find any eggplant anywhere on my plate. Instead they loaded me up with fried potatoes! I complained and was told that was the way the chef decided to prepare the dish. I also thought the menu was overpriced for strip mall Chinese.
I will give it another try sometime, but I just was not impressed at all on my visit.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

We were there about 2 weeks ago for lunch. Ordered exclusively from the real Chinese menu. Food was great. Had real hot and sour soup and Mushy pork (both were great.)