Hook & Lime Tacos + Tequila

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Restaurant will open in north downtown spot formerly occupied by American Apparel
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Hook & Lime Tacos + Tequila will open this fall.
Menu highlights will include a smoked fish and avocado torta and guajillo chile braised short-rib tacos, elote corn fritters and a house-made churro bowl filled with dulce de leche ice cream.
The bar will serve six signature margaritas, craft cocktails and both Mexican and local beers on tap.
justnick
Human Relations

tequila/taco bar North Downtown

Post by justnick »

something called hook and lime? not sure on the exact name. opening in old American Apparel this fall.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: tequila/taco bar North Downtown

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.omaha.com/go/restaurant-will ... 46d0a.html
Menu highlights will include a smoked fish and avocado torta and guajillo chile-braised short-rib tacos, elote corn fritters and a house-made churro bowl filled with dulce de leche ice cream.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nebugeater wrote:Hook & Lime Tacos + Tequila

http://www.omaha.com/go/restaurant-will ... 46d0a.html
Menu highlights will include a smoked fish and avocado torta and guajillo chile-braised short-rib tacos, elote corn fritters and a house-made churro bowl filled with dulce de leche ice cream.
Holy |expletive| that sounds delicious.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Much better fit than retail for that location.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Re: Hook & Lime Tacos + Tequila

Post by Coyote »

Looks like they will do a $120k renovation here.
Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Otown88 »

Looks like this is set to open January 13th
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Didn't go in, but it was really busy last night at around 930 or 10 when I went to the Trap Room.

Dare I say North Downtown actually felt like people were making a point of going there for something nonevent related? Throw in the Zipline taproom soon and something in the apartment building retail space and we may have a legit district on our hands.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:Dare I say North Downtown actually felt like people were making a point of going there for something nonevent related? Throw in the Zipline taproom soon and something in the apartment building retail space and we may have a legit district on our hands.
And this is exactly the component our North Dowtown development area has been striving to achieve for nearly 15 years now..

Thanks for sharing your observations from the other night.. and I agree.. Once the Zipline Taproom opens, North Downtown will be on their way to achieving foot/street level activity on nights a big event or game are NOT scheduled :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Saturday we Went to Hook + Lime, The Trap Room, took in a movie at Filmstreams and finished off at Zipline. Really starting to like the coming vibe of this area. Will have to take in Lefty's next time. This area is getting close. Several of the merchants expressed that the Cambria Hotel construction is going to be a challenge short-term. We might want to make it a point to support this area while construction continues. There was a good amount of activity. Critical mass could be just around the corner if these earliest businesses can hold on.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

BTW! The tequila drinks we're awesome!
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

guy4omaha wrote:Critical mass could be just around the corner if these earliest businesses can hold on.
Which ones are the earliest? Film Streams, Blatt and Slowdown? Goodnights (can't remember)? Many of the actual earliest businesses have closed long ago. 15 year coming critical mass is a bit long.

I haven't looked at their menu but hopefully the tacos are pretty cheap to grab some of the drunken money after midnight. Otherwise they better be super good tacos to attract people there.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:Critical mass could be just around the corner if these earliest businesses can hold on.
Which ones are the earliest? Film Streams, Blatt and Slowdown? Goodnights (can't remember)? Many of the actual earliest businesses have closed long ago. 15 year coming critical mass is a bit long.

I haven't looked at their menu but hopefully the tacos are pretty cheap to grab some of the drunken money after midnight. Otherwise they better be super good tacos to attract people there.
I was at the Zipline Tap Room yesterday evening between 6 pm to about 7:45 pm. I really like the place but sadly (and expectedly) the foot traffic/activity was sporadic at best. There was a trickle of customers coming into the taproom..

But this was expected. It was Monday evening..Not exactly the party night locals are attracted to on a non-event night. But I am hopeful. There is a ton of potential north downtown and my friend, who left the city over 2 years ago and has been back for a visit over this past week, noticed not only a visible difference, but felt a vibrancy not previously detected before he left in 2015..

Fingers crossed for critical mass :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:It was Monday evening..Not exactly the party night locals are attracted to on a non-event night.
Not only Monday, its one of the hottest temperature weeks we have had in years.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:It was Monday evening..Not exactly the party night locals are attracted to on a non-event night.
Not only Monday, its one of the hottest temperature weeks we have had in years.
That was also a factor for sure...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

Okay, you got me. I was being lazy/sloppy when I called them the earliest businesses. And yeah, 15 years is a long time so just around the corner might be a couple years away as well. But given the long time and the turnover, I was very happy to see actual activity Saturday. I remain hopeful trying to get to the optimistic range on the meter. I drove from 168th and Maple and would drive down again. We had fun. It's all in what you choose to make of it I guess.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

guy4omaha wrote:I drove from 168th and Maple and would drive down again.
I know nothing of Hook and Lime Tacos. How does it compare to R Taco near 156th and Maple?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

We only ate from the limited happy hour menu. But from that sample one fish taco and one carnitas taco, I would guess they might be somewhat interchangeable. Keep in mind I was there at 3pm and had not eaten anything all day. One thing Hook and Lime has an advantage in is all the tequila drinks. I don't think I would drive past R Taco to go to H&L but if you want to try the North Downtown area out or just want to try something different once in awhile, then yeah, take the trip down. My concern is if some of us don't try to support this area some in the short term, it may not make it to the long term. I am a cheerleader on a lot of this stuff. I just think it would be cool if we got another district going to further add diversity to the Omaha scene. Which I am sure is just preaching to the choir here.