Omaha's "Central Park"

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Omaha's "Central Park"

Post by Coyote »

[url=jttp://m.omaha.com/news/metro/playground-reaps-benefits-of-couple-s-love-for-elmwood-omaha/article_416a243e-42b1-5efa-8087-4a729d2cd41e.html]Playground reaps benefits of couple's love for Elmwood, 'Omaha's Central Park'[/url]

According to this OWH article last week, Elmwood would be considered our "Central Park", which I would question... Which Park would you consider our Central Park?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Omaha's "Central Park"

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:[url=jttp://m.omaha.com/news/metro/playground-reaps-benefits-of-couple-s-love-for-elmwood-omaha/article_416a243e-42b1-5efa-8087-4a729d2cd41e.html]Playground reaps benefits of couple's love for Elmwood, 'Omaha's Central Park'[/url]

According to this OWH article last week, Elmwood would be considered our "Central Park", which I would question... Which Park would you consider our Central Park?
I would say, if we're trying to compare apples with apples (and it's difficult to do this comparing Omaha to Manhattan, NY) the Omaha equivelant of Central Park would be the Gene Leahy Mall stretching into Heartland of America Park.. Both are urban, walkable, have nice scenery and some interesting people.. Again, this is relative to the huge level difference between Central Park and GLM/HAP.. But it's the Omaha equivelant imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I agree with Omaha Cowboy - Gene Leahy Park.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Valid point but Central Park in Manhattan extends from midtown into the southern part of uptown. Perhaps by this comparison Elmwood park IS the Central Park of Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It really depends on what you consider "Central" to mean. My first thought actually was Hanscom, but I guess size would also come into play... If Elwood didn't have the golf course I would consider differently.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Omaha has a great park system, but one of my long held fantasies involves a large central gathering place that could easily hold 200k. If Elmwood included the golf course, it could happen.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

My favorite urban park is Swope Park in KC. I think it's the 2nd largest in the country. So many uses between golf, the athletic facilities, the zoo, and Starlight Amphitheater. Closer to home I really like Pioneers Park in Lincoln. Elmwood I was rank as Omaha's top park.

Gene Leahy is nice downtown (though I really wish it was at street level), but other than walking, not a lot space to be active.

Greg