Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

2016 Railroad Days

Post by Brad »

Its that time again...

2016 Railroad Days

Saturday and Sunday 7/16 & 7/17 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Durham Museum, 801 S. 10th St.
Lauritzen Gardens, 100 Bancroft St.
Lewis & Clark Historic Trail, 601 Riverfront Drive.
Historic General Dodge House, 605 Third St.
RailsWest Railroad Museum, 16th Avenue and South Main Street
Union Pacific Railroad Museum, 200 Pearl St.

Railroad Days festival to share stage with National Park Service event

http://www.omaha.com/living/railroad-da ... 62402.html
Michael O’Connor / World-Herald staff writer wrote:This year’s Railroad Days celebration in Omaha and Council Bluffs marks the centennial of the National Park Service.

In the early days of the parks, many could be reached only by train.

In addition to their regular exhibits and offerings, such as a powerful steam engine and mini train you can ride, some of the participating venues will offer activities and educational opportunities in support of the theme “All Set for the West: Railroads and National Parks.”
Stargazer
County Board

Re: 2016 Railroad Days

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know if there's such a thing as 'railroad tourism'. But if there is, I can't imagine there are many destinations which have more railroad things to see, than Omaha.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I don't know if there's such a thing as 'railroad tourism'. But if there is, I can't imagine there are many destinations which have more railroad things to see, than Omaha.
We do have a lot of great museums and displays for people to visit.

The biggest thing we lack is a tourist railroad for people to ride on. The closes thing around is the Boone and Scenic Valley which is north of DesMoines, almost 3 hours away.

We are not a good place for people that like to watch trains either. UP runs the majority of their trains up north through Blair, and the BNSF routes the majority of their trains down through Plattsmouth so there are many days anymore where actually watching trains in Omaha is really boring.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I'm amazed how much more UP train traffic there is when traveling along Highway 30 versus the Omaha mainlines.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:I'm amazed how much more UP train traffic there is when traveling along Highway 30 versus the Omaha mainlines.
Yep, and if they finished the Blair double tracking project that has been on hold couple years now, there will be even less down here.