Smittys Garage Burgers and Beer

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Smittys Garage Burgers and Beer

Post by nebugeater »

This place has shown up a couple of times in my Facebook feed as a sponsored post. I do not see them mentioned anywhere here by search or from memory.
smt.JPG
smt.JPG (60.66 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
Their Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/Smittys-Garage ... 276504837/

IT looks like they will be located near Oakview at 3309 Oak View Drive

Here is their web site.

http://eatatthegarage.com/

Looks like a bunch of locations in Oklahoma, one in Arkansas but no mention that I could find of one coming to Omaha

Interesting that I do not find a menu on their web site.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Ben
Human Relations

Re: Smittys Garage Burgers and Beer

Post by Ben »

nebugeater wrote: Interesting that I do not find a menu on their web site.
I was just going to post about this place showing up in my FB feed as well.

As for the menu, if you click into any of their existing locations, you can find a menu. Aiming at a lower price point than I was expecting. Burgers are all <$8, with sides being a la carte... Mostly burgers and tacos, with a mix of finger food style appetizers.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

They'll be open in 3ish weeks, and they're already working on their 2nd location on the north side of 76th and Dodge.

They are owned by Hal Smith Group who owns Mahogany and Charleston's.

I like the concept from what I understand, it's very similar to JL Beers in North and South Dakota if familiar. At least that's my impression.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Also, it's the former Buca Di Beppo/Lauter Tun spot.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

43county wrote:Also, it's the former Buca Di Beppo/Lauter Tun spot.

Wasn't that completely gutted and added on to and converted to a strip center after Buca?
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

nebugeater wrote:
43county wrote:Also, it's the former Buca Di Beppo/Lauter Tun spot.

Wasn't that completely gutted and added on to and converted to a strip center after Buca?
Yes. They just have the farthest west spot in the strip, pretty much exactly where the restaurant was back in the day.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

He name makes me never want to go to this place, "garage burgers" don't sound very good.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They list Omaha as coming soon on their web site

http://eatatthegarage.com/restaurants/t ... tys-omaha/

For the hours they list
M-F as 10A - 6P
Sat as 10A - 3P
and nothing for Sunday

Hope this is a place holder and not their real hours or they may be short lived.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sunday hours are 11 to 11, per the web link. They are open every other day until at least 10 pm.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

quick cell phone picture this afternoon.
Attachments
smittys sm.jpg
smittys sm.jpg (233.08 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:They list Omaha as coming soon on their web site

For the hours they list
M-F as 10A - 6P
Sat as 10A - 3P
and nothing for Sunday

Hope this is a place holder and not their real hours or they may be short lived.
This looks like it may be a very good "get".. How can you not like good burgers, fresh cut fries and an extensive craft beer list :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:

For the hours they list
M-F as 10A - 6P
Sat as 10A - 3P
and nothing for Sunday

This looks like it may be a very good "get".. How can you not like good burgers, fresh cut fries and an extensive craft beer list :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

The sheeple can not like those burgers real easy if their brains have not been programmed to like them from years of advertisements. Then you factor in the hex of opening this place in that blighted zone of the outer beltway of the Oakview Mall. Them burgers almost can't be good enough to make this place survive those two facts. Why in the name of common sense they opened that place there defies reason.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

For the hours they list
M-F as 10A - 6P
Sat as 10A - 3P
and nothing for Sunday

Ciao..LiO...Peace

The sheeple can not like those burgers real easy if their brains have not been programmed to like them from years of advertisements. Then you factor in the hex of opening this place in that blighted zone of the outer beltway of the Oakview Mall. Them burgers almost can't be good enough to make this place survive those two facts. Why in the name of common sense they opened that place there defies reason.
Maybe they live on the premise of "Build it and they will come". Or a good land deal. But then Chick-Fil-A is finally building on 72nd after sitting on the land for 4 years. That area is |expletive| too. Applebees and Golden Corral closed in part to problems with clientele. The movie theater at one time had off duty police working second job security. Time will tell.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote:
Maybe they live on the premise of "Build it and they will come". Or a good land deal. But then Chick-Fil-A is finally building on 72nd after sitting on the land for 4 years. That area is |expletive| too. Applebees and Golden Corral closed in part to problems with clientele.
Ah no we're not [expletive]. :shock:

Oh and I think the Golden Corral is still open on N 72.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Uffda wrote:
bbinks wrote:
Maybe they live on the premise of "Build it and they will come". Or a good land deal. But then Chick-Fil-A is finally building on 72nd after sitting on the land for 4 years. That area is |expletive| too. Applebees and Golden Corral closed in part to problems with clientele.

Yeah, Golden Corral is still open as far as I know. The Sorensen Park Plaza area is nicer than the north 90th & Fort to Maple area, actually.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Uffda wrote:
bbinks wrote:

I had read somewhere that it had closed. I'd still not label that area as a prime place to open a business. That Target is one of the smallest, and has some of the greater assets protection issues.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Anyway..

I'm going to give this Smitty's place a shot once it opens. More than the food, I'm most curious to see their craft beer offerings...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Open September 19.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

43county wrote:Open September 19.
Good deal :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Excellent burgers at the friends and family. Good taps too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

43county wrote:Excellent burgers at the friends and family. Good taps too.
Good to hear. I'll be checking the place out soon..

Thanks for the feedback :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

76th and Dodge by Hobby Lobby.
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG (92.77 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice to see another location. I have been to there first place a few times and really like it. Any idea when this one will open?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Nice to see another location. I have been to there first place a few times and really like it. Any idea when this one will open?
Nope, I was heading to Hobby Lobby and noticed the sign. Couldn't see in very well, but it looked like they were installing finishes. Big chunks of diamond plate fabricated and ready for instillation.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Last I was told, March 15 is the projected date. Subject to change, as always.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

I'm getting bombarded with regular Facebook ads from the 76th & Dodge Smitty's. I hope they offer a "simple burger" option so I can try it without being bombarded by toppings. I'm probably not their target customer but always happy to try a new burger.
Ebburkrevus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ebburkrevus »

Went to the Subway next door yesterday and they had all the liquor set up behind the bar and it looked like there were managers training servers, bartenders, etc...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I'm most curious to see their craft beer offerings...

Here you go:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (80.51 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.92 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
And here was my Egg-o-nator and Thunder Fries with a Freshly Sqeezed from yesterday.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (152.96 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I'm most curious to see their craft beer offerings...
They had me at Prairie BOMB :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here is a post from this AM from Smitty's Garage Burgers & Beer at the Oakview location

We go there occasionally and it is always busy and many times there is a wait for a table. This one puzzles me.
Thank you to all who have dined with us at Smitty’s Garage Oak View! We are closing our doors effective today to focus more on our other Omaha location. Visit us there at: 7610 Dodge St. Omaha, NE 68114. Phone: (402) 614-4949.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 am Here is a post from this AM from Smitty's Garage Burgers & Beer at the Oakview location

We go there occasionally and it is always busy and many times there is a wait for a table. This one puzzles me.
Thank you to all who have dined with us at Smitty’s Garage Oak View! We are closing our doors effective today to focus more on our other Omaha location. Visit us there at: 7610 Dodge St. Omaha, NE 68114. Phone: (402) 614-4949.
That is puzzling, you're right. We've been there probably a dozen times on various nights of the week, and it's been at least 85-90% full every time -- with short waits for a table on more than one occasion. Good food, good prices, friendly service, and they seemed to be doing a brisk business, so you'd think they had all the ingredients for success. Things aren't always what they seem in the restaurant business, I guess...

In any event, another vacancy in the Oak View mousetrap.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

WBR_Tom wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 pm
nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:02 am Here is a post from this AM from Smitty's Garage Burgers & Beer at the Oakview location

That is puzzling, you're right. We've been there probably a dozen times on various nights of the week, and it's been at least 85-90% full every time -- with short waits for a table on more than one occasion. Good food, good prices, friendly service, and they seemed to be doing a brisk business, so you'd think they had all the ingredients for success. Things aren't always what they seem in the restaurant business, I guess...

In any event, another vacancy in the Oak View mousetrap.
And to add to that I hear from others that have been there that this is not the same experience at the Dodge Street location. I have never been to that location so it may be wrong but it is from people who have been to both and before this announcement was made.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm And to add to that I hear from others that have been there that this is not the same experience at the Dodge Street location. I have never been to that location so it may be wrong but it is from people who have been to both and before this announcement was made.
We have been there a few times. Its usually "steady" - never packed, never dead.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Brad wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:07 pm
nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm And to add to that I hear from others that have been there that this is not the same experience at the Dodge Street location. I have never been to that location so it may be wrong but it is from people who have been to both and before this announcement was made.
We have been there a few times. Its usually "steady" - never packed, never dead.
That's been my experience as well.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I drive by there all the time and noticed they were pretty dead for the past 2 months. Never ate there but someone tried to drag me in there last week and I didn't go for it. I was thinking at the time that the place is dead so I better go there soon before they are gone! If I want to try Smitty's out I better get to the one on Dodge before it closes in a year or so I suspect.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:47 pm I drive by there all the time and noticed they were pretty dead for the past 2 months. Never ate there but someone tried to drag me in there last week and I didn't go for it. I was thinking at the time that the place is dead so I better go there soon before they are gone! If I want to try Smitty's out I better get to the one on Dodge before it closes in a year or so I suspect.
Well when you drive by at 3 AM it will be dead like everything else. Anyone who went there says otherwise, myself included. Was last there about two weeks ago.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:01 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:47 pm I drive by there all the time and noticed they were pretty dead for the past 2 months. Never ate there but someone tried to drag me in there last week and I didn't go for it. I was thinking at the time that the place is dead so I better go there soon before they are gone! If I want to try Smitty's out I better get to the one on Dodge before it closes in a year or so I suspect.
Well when you drive by at 3 AM it will be dead like everything else. Anyone who went there says otherwise, myself included. Was last there about two weeks ago.
Have to agree. Ate at the one at Oakview last weekend. Tasty food including a very respectable green chile cheeseburger that would have been acceptable in Albuquerque. Place was not SRO, but certainly busy.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I like Smitty's. Great burger. decent prices.

I felt like it was always steady as well. Maybe they just see the writing on the wall with the direction that Oak View is heading and decided to get out while the getting is good.

But yes. Yet another loss for Oak View. The spiral continues.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm
Have to agree. Ate at the one at Oakview last weekend. Tasty food including a very respectable green chile cheeseburger that would have been acceptable in Albuquerque. Place was not SRO, but certainly busy.
I’ve eaten at this location 3 times since the end of November.. The place was never completely full, but never dead.. always a good, steady crowd from what I observed.. To my eye, the place never appeared to lack patronage..

It’s seems to be a pretty BS reason to close the Oakview location to focus on Dodge street. Akin to chicken little flying the coop. Another loss for the Mousetrap.. But a “fear-mongering” overreaction imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:23 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm
I’ve eaten at this location 3 times since the end of November.. The place was never completely full, but never dead.. always a good, steady crowd from what I observed.. To my eye, the place never appeared to lack patronage..

It’s seems to be a pretty BS reason to close the Oakview location to focus on Dodge street. Akin to chicken little flying the coop. Another loss for the Mousetrap.. But a “fear-mongering” overreaction imo...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I just think that at some point, these closings have to mean something when we look at the big picture. I've heard varying explanations as to why each closing has nothing to do with the relative health of Oak View:

Sears and Younkers were failing brands and not the fault of the mall. Fair.

Smitty's may have made a reactionary decision. Maybe also fair.

Toys R Us/Baby's R Us died as a company. Absolutely.

Best Buy and Hy Vee wanted bigger storefronts. Yes.

Dicks is overpriced and didn't compete in this market with Scheels. Perhaps.

Village Inn is another legacy brand that's outlived its usefulness. Sure.

All of these things may well be true in and of themselves...and, even the most successful malls will have some turnover in tenants, but Oak View isn't replacing these things with any tenants of substance. The empty storefronts and label scars continue to stack up. I judge the relative health of a retail development by stability but then the ability to replace losses in a timely fashion and with tenants that would be considered an upgrade.

The only real success story we've celebrated for the mouse trap in years is the renovation of the theater. Smitty's was supposed to be a big add and they barely lasted a year. I just think the optics are bad when we look at the overall trajectory here. Like I've said, I've seen it happen several times before in Omaha and Oak View seems to be following the dying mall playbook to a tee.