the most 'east coast' Omaha 'hood, for better or worse?

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

TransferTimmy
New to the Neighborhood

the most 'east coast' Omaha 'hood, for better or worse?

Post by TransferTimmy »

Background: grew up in Omaha/Lincoln 1970s-90, left for work on East Coast and have lived in 3-5 million-population cities ever since. I'll be semi-retiring and moving back to Omaha in about 3 years and working from home.

So my question is, what neighborhoods should I look at if I want to be surrounded by a denser feel, with more presences of people on the street/stoops? Moderate crime is OK. Are there are any neighborhoods where ethnic minorities tend to settle ? (little Vietnam, Ethiopiatown, whatever). Being able to walk and get the day's groceries would be ideal but I sense that's probably unlikely.

I was kind of intrigued by the South Omaha Latino area, -but-, it seems like that is off the beaten path. Other ideas?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: the most 'east coast' Omaha 'hood, for better or worse?

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

In thinking about this, you have several options..

I'd look at the neighborhoods right outside of downtown in the traditional midtown area- Hanscom Park, Field Club, Blackstone, Leavenworth, Gold Coast, Gifford Park or Bemis Park.. Those areas will give you most, if not all you're looking for.. I lived in this area of the city for many years and absolutely loved it..

You could also try the Little Italy area just south of downtown/Old Market- 6th to 10th streets, Pacific St to the north..Center St to the south..

Regarding South Omaha and the Latino community, since you've left the area, Omaha has experienced an explosion in its Latino community population- nearly 100,000 people of Latino descent now live in the metro area. South Omaha is a wonderful place and still has that ethnic melting pot flavor.. I'd still keep that in your selection wheelhouse once it's time for you to move back..

Welcome to the forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:In thinking about this, you have several options..

I'd look at the neighborhoods right outside of downtown in the traditional midtown area- Hanscom Park, Field Club, Blackstone, Leavenworth, Gold Coast, Gifford Park or Bemis Park.. Those areas will give you most, if not all you're looking for.. I lived in this area of the city for many years and absolutely loved it..

You could also try the Little Italy area just south of downtown/Old Market- 6th to 10th streets, Pacific St to the north..Center St to the south..

Regarding South Omaha and the Latino community, since you've left the area, Omaha has experienced an explosion in its Latino community population- nearly 100,000 people of Latino descent now live in the metro area. South Omaha is a wonderful place and still has that ethnic melting pot flavor.. I'd still keep that in your selection wheelhouse once it's time for you to move back..

Welcome to the forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Wow. When you said the Latino population is near a 100,000 in the Metro area, I didn't believe it. I looked it up and saw that in 2010, nearly 80,000 Latinos lived in the Omaha Metro. So for 2016,100,000 would be about right. And there is no doubt Omaha is a better city because of South O and its ethnic diversity. Regarding Little Italy, the row houses there are awesome and don't forget the Tenth Street Market is slated to open in a couple of years and would be an excellent spot to get groceries.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

The largest nethnic eighborhood by far is south Omaha. The largest group would be Mexican in this area.

There is also large population of Latinos/Hispanics nearby Vinton street between 16th & 24th.

Along Leavenworth between 30th & 19th there are a lot of old buildings (dense developments compared to the rest of Omaha) which have a mix of immigrants including Mexican, Somalis, and Sudanese. If I were your real estate agent I would recommend you look in this neighborhood.

The Park Avenue neighborhood has a mix of the same immigrants as Leavenworth street, however there will also be a fair amount of new middle class whites due to recent gentrification in this area.

New Asian immigrants are located in a couple isolated areas of North Omaha. For more info on that I recommend you check out the racial dot map:
http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/