Zio's Pizza

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Zio's Pizza

Post by mrsticka »

I've never been there before. Are they any good? If so, I hope they open one here in Lincoln someday.
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Zio's Pizza

Post by Linkin5 »

It's pretty awful pizza IMO
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I like it. Not one of my favorites in town but have never had anything bad there.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I don't mind it, New York style. Hard to screw up pizza.
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Ordered a shrimp pizza. They cooked it with frozen shrimp that caused the dough to not cook. Little circles of uncooked dough all over the pizza. The last time I went to Zios.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Called ahead and ordered a large hamburger, mushroom and jalapeno pizza for carry out. When I walked in the restaurant I smelled that something had been burnt. I said to the clerk "I hope thats not my pizza that got burnt." The clerk handed me my box and laughed and said "No way we wouldn't do that to you!" When I got home and opened the box I found that my pizza was burnt black all over on the bottom of the crust. Last time I ever went to Zios.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Blackened bottom pizza crusts are the norm in pizza places with wood burning ovens. That is as it is supposed to be, in fact.
I've never had a bad pizza at Zio's. But I no longer believe they are one of the city's best pizza places.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

We've had Zio's delivered to work a couple of times lately, and I remarked that I hadn't been to Zio's in years.

I then remembered why I hadn't been to Zio's in years. Totino's makes a better pizza...even if it's now square.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Zios has disappointed me the last couple times I was there. Burnt crumbs on the bottom. Clean the oven once in awhile.

Price wise, not worth it. $20+ for a large pie at Zios, Godfathers, Sam & Louies.... or $5 at Little Caesars. Flour, yeast, tomato sauce, and vegetables, are pretty uniform in cost. One is not using $15 in cheese and meat toppings.
twwgigi
New to the Neighborhood

Post by twwgigi »

To be honest, Zio's is no where near New York pizza. Having lived in New Jersey for some time, I find Lighthouse is actually New York style pizza. I hated Zio's.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

twwgigi wrote:To be honest, Zio's is no where near New York pizza. Having lived in New Jersey for some time, I find Lighthouse is actually New York style pizza. I hated Zio's.
Frankie's Pizza on 132 and Dodge is pretty close to the pizza I ate in Manhattan. Zio's is not close.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed wrote:
twwgigi wrote:To be honest, Zio's is no where near New York pizza. Having lived in New Jersey for some time, I find Lighthouse is actually New York style pizza. I hated Zio's.
Frankie's Pizza on 132 and Dodge is pretty close to the pizza I ate in Manhattan. Zio's is not close.
I did hear that Franks' was sold to new owners.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
I did hear that Franks' was sold to new owners.

Greg
Well there goes that.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

There are so many other BETTER pizza options in Omaha..

For me, Zio's Pizza is no bueno...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Wowza, reading the comments on here makes me wonder if I was drunk last time I ate Zio's pizza, and thus have a "it's not THAT bad mentality" about it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:Wowza, reading the comments on here makes me wonder if I was drunk last time I ate Zio's pizza, and thus have a "it's not THAT bad mentality" about it.

I've always liked the pizza at Zio's. Used to eat at the one on Center about once a month it was always good. Now that I don't work out there, I don't get there as much. Frank's was good to, but I did not think it was any better.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Wowza, reading the comments on here makes me wonder if I was drunk last time I ate Zio's pizza, and thus have a "it's not THAT bad mentality" about it.

I've always liked the pizza at Zio's. Used to eat at the one on Center about once a month it was always good. Now that I don't work out there, I don't get there as much. Frank's was good to, but I did not think it was any better.

Greg

The last time I had it was at the downtown location, honestly wasn't bad, but maybe I don't have as discerning of tastes :mrgreen:
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

As a self proclaimed pizza lover and maker I offer the following humble opinion. As a reasonable priced, casual, New York style pie, Zio's is very good. Good slightly sweet sauce with a good melt on the cheese. Slightly oily (as it is supposed to be). It's hard to compare to other types of pizza, like Pitch (Neapolitan) or Mama's (American). That's like comparing Steak to Hamburger saying they are both beef. NY style pizza is street food. The small Pizza joint on the corner that sells far more slices than whole pies is where it started. So it's not high end, it's not fancy, because it's not supposed to be.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

swgiust wrote:As a self proclaimed pizza lover and maker I offer the following humble opinion. As a reasonable priced, casual, New York style pie, Zio's is very good. Good slightly sweet sauce with a good melt on the cheese. Slightly oily (as it is supposed to be). It's hard to compare to other types of pizza, like Pitch (Neapolitan) or Mama's (American). That's like comparing Steak to Hamburger saying they are both beef. NY style pizza is street food. The small Pizza joint on the corner that sells far more slices than whole pies is where it started. So it's not high end, it's not fancy, because it's not supposed to be.
It's sure priced to be high end.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

swgiust wrote:As a self proclaimed pizza lover and maker I offer the following humble opinion. As a reasonable priced, casual, New York style pie, Zio's is very good. Good slightly sweet sauce with a good melt on the cheese. Slightly oily (as it is supposed to be). It's hard to compare to other types of pizza, like Pitch (Neapolitan) or Mama's (American). That's like comparing Steak to Hamburger saying they are both beef. NY style pizza is street food. The small Pizza joint on the corner that sells far more slices than whole pies is where it started. So it's not high end, it's not fancy, because it's not supposed to be.
I am glad to see some positive reviews. My wife and I go to Zio's regularly. Between Zio's and Mama's. Noli's now and then if we feel like spending $30 on a pie.
yman97
Home Owners Association

Post by yman97 »

I also enjoy Zio's. My wife and I like different varieties of pizza so when we go to Zio's, we only order it by the slice. I certainly wouldn't call it among the best in town (that title belongs to Mangia, Pitch, and Dante's) but I feel it's better than most on this board give it credit for.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Pretty good pizza, but in my opinion, the only thing that's "New York style" is the price…
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to an NAI NP Dodge Press Release, Zio's is opening a new location at 18110 Wright Street (180 and West Center)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm According to an NAI NP Dodge Press Release, Zio's is opening a new location at 18110 Wright Street (180 and West Center)
Think they are going in the location that was open as Uncle Maddio's for about three days?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:23 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:07 pm According to an NAI NP Dodge Press Release, Zio's is opening a new location at 18110 Wright Street (180 and West Center)
Think they are going in the location that was open as Uncle Maddio's for about three days?
This is correct. Kind of a no-brainer. Pretty sure all of the construction is done.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They are going to open a Zio's at 156th and State according to the Grow Omaha Facebook page.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 am They are going to open a Zio's at 156th and State according to the Grow Omaha Facebook page.
I did not read that the same way you did. I think the only Zio's going in is the one I posted a few post above at 180th and Center.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 am
Greg S wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 am They are going to open a Zio's at 156th and State according to the Grow Omaha Facebook page.
I did not read that the same way you did. I think the only Zio's going in is the one I posted a few post above at 180th and Center.
You are probably right. It's confusing because the post and pictures are specifically on the 156the and State lots but they included the Zio's reference in the text below.

Greg