Della Costa (formerly MTC Brix)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

secret duh

Della Costa (formerly MTC Brix)

Post by secret duh »

Heard the owner of M's pub placed an offer on half of the old Brix space which will be split into two restaurant bays.
hatwate
Library Board

Re: old brix space

Post by hatwate »

secret duh wrote:Heard the owner of M's pub placed an offer on half of the old Brix space which will be split into two restaurant bays.
Which Brix location and which M's Pub owner (Ron Samuelson who just opened Herbe Sainte in Aksarben Village or Ann Mellen)?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Word on the forums is that it is for the Midtown location
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It was confirmed that it would be split into two restaurant bays.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Della Costa (formerly MTC Brix)

Post by Coyote »

Omaha restaurant veteran opening Mediterranean eatery in former Brix spot at Midtown Crossing
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The restaurant’s name translates to “of the coast,” and it will focus on “the Mediterranean palette,” Samuelson told The World-Herald. That will include Italian seafood and flavor influences from Greece, Morocco, Spain and southern France.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wish them the best. It's a beautiful location, with a ton of potential.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Exciting! Glad it is another local place rather than the chains that populate the other nicer offerings.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I recently heard a rumor that Della Costa is having problems.
Anybody else hear anything?
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Coyote wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:31 am I recently heard a rumor that Della Costa is having problems.
Anybody else hear anything?
I just went to Alamo and saw they had permanently closed. Any idea what happened?
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

We went there in February and about half the menu was not available. Several wines were unavailable from the wine list. While the food was fine, there were a lot of open tables. And to top it off it was very cold inside. We had to leave our coats on. Everything just had the feel of a restaurant in trouble. I wanted to see it succeed. Sad to see it go.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We really loved their menu, and the food was always delicious. I think that the place is too large to work as a restaurant, however. Unless they have 75 or more diners the place would feel mostly empty.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

My guess is the bay will eventually have to be converted to several smaller units. If any of it is going to remain restaurant space, it needs to be something that doesn't have a similar menu to Alamo Drafthouse. You will need to try to entice people to come over there that are going to a movie and want food, but don't want the typical American cuisine that Alamo, Leadbelly, and Ray's already offer.

You also need to offer a menu that would appeal to the Mutual of Omaha crowd (assuming Mutual plans to stay in the area long term). I would guess Della Costa got almost zero lunch rush as that menu was just not something that the lunch crowd would be interested in. Also, it can't be $12-$15 lunch entrees.

Working in the area, I"d be happy if there was something like a quick casual. Everything they've put in in MTC has generally been sit down cloth napkin restaurants outside of Lenny's/Pickleman's and previously Chicago Dog House. That has not proven to be a winning formula for this development.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

I'm not so sure there is a winning formula food wise for MTC.
Its a pass-through neighborhood. Moving Alamo, Culprit, and Modern Love into spaces there was absolutely a win, but I just am not of the belief that outside event times, i.e. jazz on the green etc. That MTC will ever find a formula that makes it go. I agree with the above sentiment that lunch should be a priority for employees in the area, but even with some great changes that they have made recently it never ends on my list of options on a night where the wife and I go out. I hope it finds its way but all and all I just dont know what would even be the right fit anymore.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

onelocalfoods wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am I'm not so sure there is a winning formula food wise for MTC.
Its a pass-through neighborhood. Moving Alamo, Culprit, and Modern Love into spaces there was absolutely a win, but I just am not of the belief that outside event times, i.e. jazz on the green etc. That MTC will ever find a formula that makes it go. I agree with the above sentiment that lunch should be a priority for employees in the area, but even with some great changes that they have made recently it never ends on my list of options on a night where the wife and I go out. I hope it finds its way but all and all I just dont know what would even be the right fit anymore.
It's certainly a troubled development. That is for sure.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

omaha79 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:08 am
onelocalfoods wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am I'm not so sure there is a winning formula food wise for MTC.
Especially as there is no place there that is really so good that it would make me drive past all other good places between my house and there. If I am going to drive that far, I have the old market and places like Malara's. I also wonder what the combination of their skunked reputation and the proximity of the hassle plagued tax bitten Blackstone area will do in terms of creating and image of a region of the city that just is not a place to go to. Kind of like Benson, where people detest the parking, so they only go to Benson if they can get a decent priced Uber.
Ebburkrevus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ebburkrevus »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:53 am
Especially as there is no place there that is really so good that it would make me drive past all other good places between my house and there. If I am going to drive that far, I have the old market and places like Malara's. I also wonder what the combination of their skunked reputation and the proximity of the hassle plagued tax bitten Blackstone area will do in terms of creating and image of a region of the city that just is not a place to go to. Kind of like Benson, where people detest the parking, so they only go to Benson if they can get a decent priced Uber.

Both Blackstone and Benson are always busy. You should just stay west of 132nd street and enjoy your life.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Ebburkrevus wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Both Blackstone and Benson are always busy. You should just stay west of 132nd street and enjoy your life.
Yeah those two spots are literally always busy.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Louie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:22 pm

No doubt. Just a hassle. Benson is now a shorthand for bad parking. The Blackstone is similar. With the tax bite added, again, I wonder how long it will be before the MTC and the Blackstone area are seen as more hassle than it is worth.
Rehulk
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rehulk »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:59 pm
Louie wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:22 pm

No doubt. Just a hassle. Benson is now a shorthand for bad parking. The Blackstone is similar. With the tax bite added, again, I wonder how long it will be before the MTC and the Blackstone area are seen as more hassle than it is worth.
Because it not like there are two decent size parking garages that offer three hours free with a buck an.hour maxing out at $10 within a 10 minute walk of the while area 😒
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I think the restaurants that failed probably would have failed at most other locations in the city. I actually enjoyed a couple of them. Chicago Dawg was in a bad bay for the kind of restaurant it was, it should have been more in the middle. Crave was a blah type restaurant. Some of the other places there did nothing to differentiate themselves from the competition elsewhere in the city. Della Costa had a number of bad reviews owing to its allegedly confusing menu (I never ate there so I can't really comment on it). Ugly Duck Ramen wasn't as good as many of the other ramen places around town. Ingredient never lived up to the promise of the concept. As far as I can tell the Grey Plume and Modern Love are doing fine because they are well regarded destination restaurants. The development as a whole will be fine in the long run, the area will add more people, after a long period of trial and error a good mix of shops and restaurants will be established and things will work out well.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Ebburkrevus wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm Both Blackstone and Benson are always busy. You should just stay west of 132nd street and enjoy your life.
If that's how you really feel, you should be ashamed to be a Nebraskan.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Professor Woland wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:55 pm I think the restaurants that failed probably would have failed at most other locations in the city. I actually enjoyed a couple of them. Chicago Dawg was in a bad bay for the kind of restaurant it was, it should have been more in the middle. Crave was a blah type restaurant. Some of the other places there did nothing to differentiate themselves from the competition elsewhere in the city. Della Costa had a number of bad reviews owing to its allegedly confusing menu (I never ate there so I can't really comment on it). Ugly Duck Ramen wasn't as good as many of the other ramen places around town. Ingredient never lived up to the promise of the concept. As far as I can tell the Grey Plume and Modern Love are doing fine because they are well regarded destination restaurants. The development as a whole will be fine in the long run, the area will add more people, after a long period of trial and error a good mix of shops and restaurants will be established and things will work out well.
I agree with this. Overall, MTC has been and will continue to do just fine..

We have a tendency here to “gloom and doom” developments that have had turnover/closures. The news flash is, that’s the nature of retail.. Whether it’s a destination point like MTC or a mall area like Oak View or Westroads..

Cup half full is always a better choice as it relates to analysis of retail destinations. In my opinion anyway :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ScrattyB wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 am
Ebburkrevus wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm Both Blackstone and Benson are always busy. You should just stay west of 132nd street and enjoy your life.
If that's how you really feel, you should be ashamed to be a Nebraskan.
Honest question, what does that have to do with being Nebraskan?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:02 pm
Professor Woland wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:55 pm I think the restaurants that failed probably would have failed at most other locations in the city. I actually enjoyed a couple of them. Chicago Dawg was in a bad bay for the kind of restaurant it was, it should have been more in the middle. Crave was a blah type restaurant. Some of the other places there did nothing to differentiate themselves from the competition elsewhere in the city. Della Costa had a number of bad reviews owing to its allegedly confusing menu (I never ate there so I can't really comment on it). Ugly Duck Ramen wasn't as good as many of the other ramen places around town. Ingredient never lived up to the promise of the concept. As far as I can tell the Grey Plume and Modern Love are doing fine because they are well regarded destination restaurants. The development as a whole will be fine in the long run, the area will add more people, after a long period of trial and error a good mix of shops and restaurants will be established and things will work out well.

We have a tendency here to “gloom and doom” developments that have had turnover/closures. The news flash is, that’s the nature of retail.. Whether it’s a destination point like MTC or a mall area like Oak View or Westroads..

Cup half full is always a better choice as it relates to analysis of retail destinations. In my opinion anyway :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You lose me pretty quickly if you suggest MTC has been and will continue to do just fine. Some turnover is normal. But, you're not seeing this level of turnover at AkSarBen Village compared to MTC. MTC's had a majority of their bays turnover, some multiple times. Some have never been filled and the occupancy rate and caliber of retailers filling the spaces is much lower than other similar developments. Ak has had turnover that's within an expected variance, MTC, not so much.

Just like if you compare it to the malls, I'd say Westroads level of turnover and vacancy is within normal for a healthy development. Oak View, not so much.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 am You lose me pretty quickly if you suggest MTC has been and will continue to do just fine. Some turnover is normal. But, you're not seeing this level of turnover at AkSarBen Village compared to MTC. MTC's had a majority of their bays turnover, some multiple times. Some have never been filled and the occupancy rate and caliber of retailers filling the spaces is much lower than other similar developments. Ak has had turnover that's within an expected variance, MTC, not so much.

Just like if you compare it to the malls, I'd say Westroads level of turnover and vacancy is within normal for a healthy development. Oak View, not so much.
Well put.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 am

Ciao..LiO...Peace
You lose me pretty quickly if you suggest MTC has been and will continue to do just fine. Some turnover is normal. But, you're not seeing this level of turnover at AkSarBen Village compared to MTC. MTC's had a majority of their bays turnover, some multiple times. Some have never been filled and the occupancy rate and caliber of retailers filling the spaces is much lower than other similar developments. Ak has had turnover that's within an expected variance, MTC, not so much.

I’m wondering exactly if there is actually a problem at MTC, or if we’re simply inventing one here? I have heard absolutely nothing that indicates the development is in “trouble” or “not doing fine”.. My question then is, do you have some insider information regarding the development? Are you a member of the MofO Board of Directors? Perhaps you work for the property management company that is responsible for filling in MTC? Unless you are any of these, you’re purely speculating on the condition of MTC..

To compare it to AK Village is not really an apples to apples comparison either..

Alamo Theater just committed a rather expensive theater refresh at MTC.. and as we know in retail, turnover is the nature of the game, it happens. But it doesn’t mean MTC isn’t doing okay..and I’ve heard nothing to lead me to believe otherwise..

Cup half full.. Remember?...

Ciao.. LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace

I’m wondering exactly if there is actually a problem at MTC, or if we’re simply inventing one here? I have heard absolutely nothing that indicates the development is in “trouble” or “not doing fine”.. My question then is, do you have some insider information regarding the development? Are you a member of the MofO Board of Directors? Perhaps you work for the property management company that is responsible for filling in MTC? Unless you are any of these, you’re purely speculating on the condition of MTC..

To compare it to AK Village is not really an apples to apples comparison either..

Alamo Theater just committed a rather expensive theater refresh at MTC.. and as we know in retail, turnover is the nature of the game, it happens. But it doesn’t mean MTC isn’t doing okay..and I’ve heard nothing to lead me to believe otherwise..

Ciao.. LiO...Peace
You don't have to be an insider. You just have to use a good old fashioned eye test, have some common sense, and have lived in this city long enough to see a number of retail developments be born, live, and die. There is a cyclical nature to these things that repeat over time.

Now, I have heard some second hand insider information that multiple tenants at MTC are either being actively subsidized to stay open or are receiving drastically reduced rent by the real estate arm of Mutual of Omaha. I cannot confirm this and I cannot state whether or not these practices are par for the course with commercial realty.

I'd prefer to just look at what my eyes tell me every day when I drive down Farnam with multiple bays shuttered, some for years now. This simply isn't normal for a "healthy" organization.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao.. LiO...Peace
You don't have to be an insider. You just have to use a good old fashioned eye test, have some common sense, and have lived in this city long enough to see a number of retail developments be born, live, and die. There is a cyclical nature to these things that repeat over time.

Now, I have heard some second hand insider information that multiple tenants at MTC are either being actively subsidized to stay open or are receiving drastically reduced rent by the real estate arm of Mutual of Omaha. I cannot confirm this and I cannot state whether or not these practices are par for the course with commercial realty.

I'd prefer to just look at what my eyes tell me every day when I drive down Farnam with multiple bays shuttered, some for years now. This simply isn't normal for a "healthy" organization.
Your “eye test” and common sense should also tell you that a successful national movie chain like Alamo wouldn’t commit millions of dollars for a significant movie theater/restaurant refresh if they felt the MTC development was not a “healthy organization” either..

Just like our back and forth on your gloom and doom “dying mall” narrative in the Oak View Mall thread, I don’t see your death cycle narrative fitting in with Midtown Crossing either..

My opinion is we are inventing a “MTC is in trouble” narrative in this thread with no real inside proof that the development is in trouble at all. I wonder what MofO thinks, lol..

In the end, you’re entitled to your opinion..although in mine, you’re being a smidge reckless...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao.. LiO...Peace

Your “eye test” and common sense should also tell you that a successful national movie chain like Alamo wouldn’t commit millions of dollars for a significant movie theater/restaurant refresh if they felt the MTC development was not a “healthy organization” either..

Just like our back and forth on your gloom and doom “dying mall” narrative in the Oak View Mall thread, I don’t see your death cycle narrative fitting in with Midtown Crossing either..

My opinion is we are inventing a “MTC is in trouble” narrative in this thread with no real inside proof that the development is in trouble at all. I wonder what MofO thinks, lol..

In the end, you’re entitled to your opinion..although in mine, you’re being a smidge reckless...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Agreed, except for the Oak View part. I don't think any recovery plan for that structure exists. But that's just an opinion.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao.. LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
There could be many reasons for them to do this that could go beyond the health of the development as a whole. Alamo may see their business model as having a high probability for success whether or not the rest of the stores are successful. They are a destination in and of themselves. Also, we don't know what level, if any, their rent was cut or subsidized to entice them to move in.

I've lived in Omaha long enough to see the decline of so many retail destinations. Whether you are talking about The Center, Crossroads, Southroads, and numerous other strip mall developments. These things have similar patterns if you know what you are looking at. I see warning signs at both MTC and Oak View that are similar in nature to the spirals that these other developments went though. Now, MTC is in better shape than Oak View and fundamentally, I think they have a shot. I'm just saying there are clear warning signs.

As for what MOO thinks? I don't know. Do we know for sure that MOO is even going to stay in Mid Town? I find it odd that they released the story in the OWH nearly a year ago and said they anticipated breaking ground by mid 2019 for roughly a 2022 opening. It's nearly mid 2019 and we don't even have a location announced. This is also a warning sign to me, at least in the short term. I used to think it unfathomable that MOO would leave this area...now, I'm not sure.

We don't want to bury our heads in the sand and act like there aren't concerns. We risk looking like the Iraqi information minister circa 2003 claiming everything was fine while tanks were rolling in behind him. I want MTC to succeed. I can't ignore what my eyes tell me.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

No way on earth is MTC in a better position then Oak View Mall :lafcry: MTC was a suicide mission from the day it was conceived. Mutual of Omaha has done nothing here but reinforce the age old rule of business which is Stick To What You Know. It would take something far more spectacular then that lame useless Street Car to save this place.

The only thing that is ever going to save these struggling malls is when and if the economy really does start getting better and the masses have more money to spend. Optimistic spin and lies of how well our economy is doing does not pay the rent for these businesses in these dead shopping malls.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Ciao.. LiO...Peace

Ciao..LiO...Peace
There could be many reasons for them to do this that could go beyond the health of the development as a whole. Alamo may see their business model as having a high probability for success whether or not the rest of the stores are successful. They are a destination in and of themselves. Also, we don't know what level, if any, their rent was cut or subsidized to entice them to move in.

I've lived in Omaha long enough to see the decline of so many retail destinations. Whether you are talking about The Center, Crossroads, Southroads, and numerous other strip mall developments. These things have similar patterns if you know what you are looking at. I see warning signs at both MTC and Oak View that are similar in nature to the spirals that these other developments went though. Now, MTC is in better shape than Oak View and fundamentally, I think they have a shot. I'm just saying there are clear warning signs.

As for what MOO thinks? I don't know. Do we know for sure that MOO is even going to stay in Mid Town? I find it odd that they released the story in the OWH nearly a year ago and said they anticipated breaking ground by mid 2019 for roughly a 2022 opening. It's nearly mid 2019 and we don't even have a location announced. This is also a warning sign to me, at least in the short term. I used to think it unfathomable that MOO would leave this area...now, I'm not sure.

We don't want to bury our heads in the sand and act like there aren't concerns. We risk looking like the Iraqi information minister circa 2003 claiming everything was fine while tanks were rolling in behind him. I want MTC to succeed. I can't ignore what my eyes tell me.
Lol..

Burying our heads in the sand for what exactly? An eyeball test that indicates MTC may be on a death cycle? C’mon man..

Manufacturing an unsubstantiated narrative that MTC is somehow in trouble is no way to live our lives my friend :yes: ..

By the way, I think the rumors of the Oak View Mousetrap and it’s demise are GREATLY exaggerated..Feel free to also read my post in the Oakview Mall thread from March 2nd..That was a direct quote made by Westroads General Manager Jim Sadler from his appearance on the Grow Omaha radio show that Saturday morning one month ago..

Also, I can assure you..and you can choose to take my word for it (or not, it’s up to you) Mutual of Omaha will NOT be leaving their mid town area location. You can book that..

What I see as normal destination retail turnover you see as a death cycle. That’s fine and dandy..

In the end, as I stated previously, you’re entitled to your opinion.. as I am mine. MTC is fine. And I’ll believe this.. until undividuals in the know, who are directly involved in MTC’s well being, provide actual proof of the contrary...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I think where MTC got off on the wrong foot was the types of tenants they targeted. Some have done very well (Hutch, the Grey Plume, the hotel) but many others flopped. It seemed like they were going for a lot of new to the city brands that didn't exactly wow anyone. Some of the local options flopped too, but in every case I can think of the problem wasn't MTC per se. I think there is a tendency on this board to look at any problem with anything in Omaha, exaggerate it to the nth degree and then compare it with some fantasy version of some other city. MTC might not be living up to Mutual's expectations, or its potential, but it's not dying. Nor does frequent turnover signal impending doom, just look at Countryside Village; I think a couple of years ago most observers would have written it off as destined for the wrecking ball, now it's thriving. As the population in Midtown and Blackstone continues to grow MTC will benefit. When Mutual envisioned the development they wanted to transform the area. In some ways I think they've succeeded, I don't think the Blackstone revival would have happened to near the scale it has, if at all, without MTC. The changes for the better to the area between the development and the Interstate haven't yet happened as planned, but given time, they will.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

"normal retail turnover" should never equate to roughly 40% standing vacancy rate. Period.

That's the definition of burying your head in the sand.

And, you have one person painting a rosy image of Oak View. Again, I can go off of roughly the last 7 years of a slow decline with nothing that's really stemmed the tide, but if that one interview makes you feel better, go for it. I think there's a fair bit of confirmation bias in that though.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Professor Woland wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:41 pm I think where MTC got off on the wrong foot was the types of tenants they targeted. Some have done very well (Hutch, the Grey Plume, the hotel) but many others flopped. It seemed like they were going for a lot of new to the city brands that didn't exactly wow anyone. Some of the local options flopped too, but in every case I can think of the problem wasn't MTC per se. I think there is a tendency on this board to look at any problem with anything in Omaha, exaggerate it to the nth degree and then compare it with some fantasy version of some other city. MTC might not be living up to Mutual's expectations, or its potential, but it's not dying. Nor does frequent turnover signal impending doom, just look at Countryside Village; I think a couple of years ago most observers would have written it off as destined for the wrecking ball, now it's thriving. As the population in Midtown and Blackstone continues to grow MTC will benefit. When Mutual envisioned the development they wanted to transform the area. In some ways I think they've succeeded, I don't think the Blackstone revival would have happened to near the scale it has, if at all, without MTC. The changes for the better to the area between the development and the Interstate haven't yet happened as planned, but given time, they will.
I agree with most of this, but I will take exception to your analogy of Countryside Village. It was getting wiped out of old tenants and these tenants went elsewhere where they have stayed in business and even thrived. I recall that the owner had transferred control to the next generation and the new boss wanted to coordinate the shops there so that more young people would go there. This was seen then as a sketchy plan, but it has worked OK so far. I don't see the same vision for MTC.

So far, MTC seems to have a hard time finding a vision of anything. Are the bars and restaurants going to cater to the people living there? Are they going to try to attract a tourist crowd or a cross town crowd? Each of these is different.

The cross town crowd (like myself) has to be pursuaded that the vendor in MTC is better than all the vendors between there and my house. I go to Benson for an occasional event that only occurs in Benson. I don't go there for regular Friday night dinner as given the parking and the restaurant options there, it just doesn't compete for us. I go to the MTC for an occasional event, but I drive past it at least weekly. We don't ever stop. Why? There simply isn't a reason that is persuasive over going to dinner closer to home. Compare any of the places (other than Grey Plume) with Jim and Jennie's Greek Village. It is a drive of about 15 min from our house. To go there, we have to drive past other restuarants and including other Greek restaurants. We go there because the food is better than the other Greek places. Its worth the drive when we want Greek food. Ask yourself, what place in the MTC is better than some other restaurant closer to you that serves the same type of food?

If you want locals, you have to concentrate on what they want. If you want tourists, you have to have some activity that gets them to come and/or ambience that brings them. Next moth, we will see the Berkshire meeting. The OM will be over run with Berkies. Its close and cool. Is the MTC?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 am "normal retail turnover" should never equate to roughly 40% standing vacancy rate. Period.

And, you have one person painting a rosy image of Oak View. Again, I can go off of roughly the last 7 years of a slow decline with nothing that's really stemmed the tide, but if that one interview makes you feel better, go for it. I think there's a fair bit of confirmation bias in that though.
Lol..

In any case, when that one person is a trusted expert in the Omaha retail scene and General Manager of Westroads, I tend to trust his opinions over an “eyeball” test.. Jim Sadler is not GM for Oakview, so I don’t get where there’d be much “bias” in his opinion..

Anywho..

Keep your vision sharp. I’ll be looking forward to your next “eyeball test” death cycle :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm
omaha79 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:02 am "normal retail turnover" should never equate to roughly 40% standing vacancy rate. Period.

Lol..

In any case, when that one person is a trusted expert in the Omaha retail scene and General Manager of Westroads, I tend to trust his opinions over an “eyeball” test.. Jim Sadler is not GM for Oakview, so I don’t get where there’d be much “bias” in his opinion..

Anywho..

Keep your vision sharp. I’ll be looking forward to your next “eyeball test” death cycle :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Take a walk around MTC and tell me everything is fine. Should start calling you Baghdad Bob! LOL!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

omaha79 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Lol..

Anywho..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Take a walk around MTC and tell me everything is fine. Should start calling you Baghdad Bob! LOL!
And 5 years from now, when MTC is still standing and doing business/commerce, your “eyeball test” will have failed you once again..

I go through the MTC development about 2 times a week. MTC is fine. Like I said earlier, if you choose this forum to manufacture a MTC problem that doesn’t exist, that’s okay I guess..

Your continual proclamations for retail death cycles are akin to yelling fire in a crowded theater. Your opinion is basically a party of one...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Everything most certainly isn’t “fine.” There are numerous vacant storefronts, including Crave and the huge Della Costa spot. Some bays have, to the best of my know,edge, never, ever been occupied. But neither is MTC in a death spiral. It chugs along.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:30 pm
omaha79 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Lol..

Anywho..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
And 5 years from now, when MTC is still standing and doing business/commerce, your “eyeball test” will have failed you once again..

I go through the MTC development about 2 times a week. MTC is fine. Like I said earlier, if you choose this forum to manufacture a MTC problem that doesn’t exist, that’s okay I guess..

Your continual proclamations for retail death cycles are akin to yelling fire in a crowded theater. Your opinion is basically a party of one...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Now you're moving the goalposts!

So, 5 years from now, you'll say you were right if MTC is still standing and doing business/commerce? c'mon. That's ridiculous. Nowhere did I say the site would be razed or that there wouldn't be any businesses in that development in 5 years. There no doubt will be. Even developments in worse shape than MTC will continue to do commerce, but are they living up to expectations? That's the bottom line. And, what does not living up to expectations in the short term mean for the long term?

When a retail development starts to have issues, you'll see that the higher end retailers and national brands will give way to mom and pops that are lower rent in nature mixed in with empty bays. That cycle of downgrading can continue for decades if action isn't taken. That's what's happened to places like Crossroads and Southroads over the years. It's not quick and it's certainly not all at once, but MTC needs to do something dramatic to stem that tide or it will head towards the same fate. It's not unsalvageable, but it's not looking good right now. They already have a high rate of empty bays and high turnover. We'll see what comes in to fill those empty bays. The day it's a dollar store, you know where it's going.