Stella's

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Stella's

Post by garyomaha »

We dined at Stella's on Thursday night. It was not the Stella's I had experienced before nor was it anything close to a "Best of Omaha" contender. What happened?

Our first clue was arriving right around 5 pm and there being lots of open seats. That was also true when we left, under an hour later.

We ordered our burgers and were served crazy fast. Like, fast-food fast. Clearly, our patties had already been cooking and they only added the toppings we requested. The burgers appeared to be "meatballs on a bun" not flat hamburgers. They tasted okay but were not the consistency or taste we remembered from previous visits. My dinner companion grew up in Bellevue and kept saying "these are NOT Stella's burgers."

Were they having an off night? Perhaps, but the lack of a packed house seemed to indicate something else is going on.

Sorry to report this, but I wanted to share. With all the burger options in the area, I'm sad to say this visit did not encourage me to ever return.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Stella's

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Wowzers.. What you're describing does not sound like a burger from Stella's..

Hopefully, your visit was an exception.. Perhaps a very off visit..

Hopefully that was the case...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is sad to hear, I have not been there for quite a while. I had to look it up, but Stella's great, great niece took it over almost 10 years ago, after Stella's son had been running it since the mid 70's. I remember meeting Stephanie just after that and thought she was too young to run this restaurant, but now it is ten years later. Nobody had tried to change the 'family secret', so I really hope this is just a blip in their service.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

KMTV has a segment called CHEAP EAT$ They featured Stella's Bar & Grill this week.

https://www.3newsnow.com/cheap-eat-stellas-bar-grill
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

A bunch from my work went there last week and reported it was full at lunch and everything was good.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

My advice to anyone considering trying Stellas is forget about it :shock: Of course if you like yucky frozen fries and onion rings then by all means go. If you like eating without plates and silverware you will like Stellas too. I kind of like silverware and plates myself. This is a classic example of where the World Herald is stupid evil in steering people to this place located clear down in Bellevue that is not worth driving across the street for.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:34 pm My advice to anyone considering trying Stellas is forget about it :shock: Of course if you like yucky frozen fries and onion rings then by all means go. If you like eating without plates and silverware you will like Stellas too. I kind of like silverware and plates myself. This is a classic example of where the World Herald is stupid evil in steering people to this place located clear down in Bellevue that is not worth driving across the street for.
I have been to Stella a few times and it was good. Lunch crowd can be packed. I don’t need silverware and plates to eat a burger. 8) 8)
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:34 pm My advice to anyone considering trying Stellas is forget about it :shock: Of course if you like yucky frozen fries and onion rings then by all means go. If you like eating without plates and silverware you will like Stellas too. I kind of like silverware and plates myself. This is a classic example of where the World Herald is stupid evil in steering people to this place located clear down in Bellevue that is not worth driving across the street for.
Stella's doesn't use frozen potatoes or frozen onion rings. They buy them fresh from Baker's on Galvin and have for years. They also buy their canned pop from there. The owner does the shopping herself.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 pm
Stella's doesn't use frozen potatoes or frozen onion rings. They buy them fresh from Baker's on Galvin and have for years. They also buy their canned pop from there. The owner does the shopping herself.
That is pure Fake News! I know frozen onion rings and fries when I eat them. Check your facts CNN :koko:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I am not going to lie, I have been to Stella's once and I couldn't stand the fact that they put a greasy hamburger on a napkin and serve it to you. You could at least use waxed paper. I live in Bellevue, but haven't been back since. I would much rather go to Dinkers and get a lot better burger for way cheaper.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:41 pm I am not going to lie, I have been to Stella's once and I couldn't stand the fact that they put a greasy hamburger on a napkin and serve it to you. You could at least use waxed paper. I live in Bellevue, but haven't been back since. I would much rather go to Dinkers and get a lot better burger for way cheaper.
Don’t know that I would put Dunkers above Stella’s, having recently had lunch at Barrett’s and enjoyed their monster burger, we have a new threat for best burger in Nebraska. Honestly, it was as if Sioux Sundries had risen from the grave.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Everyone has their preferences. Just like pizza. People love a certain place and others can’t stand it..

I’m no Stella’s regular by any stretch, but the last time I ate there, the burger and fries were very good. Dinker’s is another solid place. Haven’t been there in years..

I know back in the day, my parents used to hit up Stella’s fairly frequently when they were dating back in the late 50’s early 60’s.. or so I’ve been told :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 pm
That is pure Fake News! I know frozen onion rings and fries when I eat them. Check your facts CNN :koko:
And I know the owner.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

TheSeventhBrat wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:43 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 pm
And I know the owner.
I was just there a couple of weeks ago and asked the manager if the fries and rings were frozen. The answer was "Yes they are frozen and I believe we get them from Sysco."

I respect that you know the owner and I am impressed so why don't you go talk to him/her and come back with the truth?