TNT Walking Taco (204th & Cumberland Drive)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MKMScat20
New to the Neighborhood

TNT Walking Taco (204th & Cumberland Drive)

Post by MKMScat20 »

Just saw signage up on a bay location right next to U-Save Pharmacy for a place called TNT Walking Taco. Google search yielded no results, didn't know if anyone else knew anything.

Happy 4th of July!
Coyote
City Council

Re: TNT Walking Taco (204th & Cumberland Drive)

Post by Coyote »

Nice find. Christie Properties LLC (Marc Christie, CEO of MAC Industries)
owns that Strip Mall and is renovating that bay.
I couldn't find anything on this development, yet.
The closest I found was a Tequilas and Tacos in Texas.
I will keep an eye on it... It has already applied for the COO.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

They will be open around July 15th. It's fast casual and the owner of Addy's is one of the partners. Their branding/signage is really well done, should be a solid addition.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

43county wrote:They will be open around July 15th. It's fast casual and the owner of Addy's is one of the partners. Their branding/signage is really well done, should be a solid addition.
Definitely a place I'm going to check out..

Thanks for the intel :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MKMScat20
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MKMScat20 »

Wow great info! Thanks all!

Excited for the opening.

Safe and Happy 4th to all of you!
SassyLibrarian
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SassyLibrarian »

Worst name for a restaurant ever. Come on- seriously? Me=too many jokes in my head right now! Too bad their signage is up already. They need to fire their branding expert,
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Craig's List wrote:Exciting new business, TNT Walking Tacos is now hiring for all positions. Apply within at 940 No. 204th Ave., Suite 260

Full and part time positions available and very competitive wages.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

SassyLibrarian wrote:Worst name for a restaurant ever. Come on- seriously? Me=too many jokes in my head right now! Too bad their signage is up already. They need to fire their branding expert,

^^^ this
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

When I first saw this a few days back my first though was " What are Todd & Tyler doing getting into the Taco business?"
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree. The name of the place is kind of silly..

But as long as the food tastes good, in the end, I could care less about the name...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I still don't see a website or FB Page. Anyone know whats on the menu? The only "Walking Taco" I am familiar with are the Walking Tacos that Toby Jack's Minneola Steakhouse serves on Thursdays at the Taco Ride. Its basically Taco Meat and Cheese dumped in to a bag of Doritos...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I still don't see a website or FB Page. Anyone know whats on the menu? The only "Walking Taco" I am familiar with are the Walking Tacos that Toby Jack's Minneola Steakhouse serves on Thursdays at the Taco Ride. Its basically Taco Meat and Cheese dumped in to a bag of Doritos...
IF you read the short story on the linked story it says FB and web site to be coming soon. Who in their right mind wouldn't have one or both of these up and going BEFORE they opening.

Strike 1 Name
Strike 2 On Line Marketing strategy.

Strike 3 ???

Better hit a home run of what they offer or they are a bad swing away from being out before they get started.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:I still don't see a website or FB Page. Anyone know whats on the menu? The only "Walking Taco" I am familiar with are the Walking Tacos that Toby Jack's Minneola Steakhouse serves on Thursdays at the Taco Ride. Its basically Taco Meat and Cheese dumped in to a bag of Doritos...
IF you read the short story on the linked story it says FB and web site to be coming soon. Who in their right mind wouldn't have one or both of these up and going BEFORE they opening.

Strike 1 Name
Strike 2 On Line Marketing strategy.

Strike 3 ???

Better hit a home run of what they offer or they are a bad swing away from being out before they get started.
Man I could not agree more. I really hope it is good, I am always down for a taco and burrito place, but to not have ANYTHING prepped marketing wise is shocking. Even a template page with some stock photos is better than nothing. I'm somewhat surprised that Omaha.com even took up the article/story with there not being anything other than the name to show for it now.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Tried TNT today, here is my review.

Background for you to get a perspective into my "likes" when it comes to Mexican food. I am a big fan of southern California / baja style mexican food. Fresh ingredients and more authentic toppings (onion, pickled onions, cilantro, cojita cheese, queso fresco etc). Some of my favorite places in Omaha for Mexican food in west Omaha include Maximos Cantina (favorite restaurant), R Taco (fast casual), and Hectors to name a few. I am not a huge fan of La Mesa or Fuzzy Taco and really hate Tacoville. I will always enjoy Qdoba or Chipolte, but this is kept separate simply because they are chains.

TNT Walking Taco review:

My meal: Pork Burrito and a drink, total price just over $9

Environment: B
I will say that the environment is nice, it's not overly bright, but not dark either, the staff was friendly and pleasant to talk to while preparing my food without being annoying. I give it a B instead of an A for seating reasons, The space is small, and they did a good job of maximizing seating, but if you are by yourself, you seem to only have the choice of taking up a 4 person table, or sit at one of the bar seats. This isnt a huge problem, but the bar tops are narrow and you are just staring at the wall (you can tell my view from the photo above, my burrito took up the entire counter depth).

Price/portions: B
Price's are very competitive with the market, Burritos are between $7-9 depending on the protein, Tacos are $2-4 again depending on protein, I think this is fair. The only reason I give a B instead of an A is I would really like to see portion sizes reduced to bring prices down. This would help a lot overall. You Absolutely get your money's worth, my burrito was massive and priced fairly (larger than Qdoba or Chipolte)

Menu: B+
I give a solid grade with regards to the menu, TNT is clearly trying to get in on the Qdoba and Chipolte market, by offering burritos, tacos (regular and puffy tacos) with similar topping options as their competitors. However, they do throw the walking taco into the mix. I give the B+ instead of an A being the menu is ever so slightly confusing. There are multiple panels on the wall of menus, that are meant to be used as you go down the line, but it's mixed up slightly. The first panel is their "Walking Tacos" then the second is the types of meats and other options like a burrito. Then next to this panel is another panel saying they have regular tacos too. The menu can use a little help organization wise, but it is clean not overly littered with options.

Food: C+
There was nothing overly bad about the food. I had a pork burrito, I had them add cheese, lettuce, some onion, TNT Verde Salsa, TNT Pobalano sauce and a little sour cream. Where the pork was actually very good, not dry or under seasoned, I give the food a C+ simply because it wasnt anything overly special. There are lots of topping options from red cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions and more. The thing that always kills me with Mexican restaurants is their choice in cheese. TNT opted to use what I believe to be thick shredded colby jack cheese. I think to really compete in the "modern" mexican chain market, at least in Omaha right now, with Voodoo, R Taco, Chipolte, Qdoba and all around, offering a basic cheese like this is a let down. I would expect something slightly more authentic like Cojita or Queso Fresco (or at least the option of these). The food overall to me was just solid/ok, it definitely wasn't bad (bad to me is Tacoville on 84th).

Overall: C+
Environment, Menu etc don't mean overly much to me, I am generally the kind of person who finds one thing they like, and sticks to it at a restaurant. If the food is good, I will always go back. TNT Walking Taco, at least to me, will be the place I go to at times when I cant think of anything else that sounds better, or more convenient. Being that I live in Elkhorn, convenience is key to this restaurant. Where I really liked the pork, the rest of the meal was not anything that would drive me to eating there every week or give me the "need to have" mindset. I will go back and try the puffy tacos as that is the only fair thing for me to do as I've had one item, but so far I am not amazed, only slightly disappointed.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Thanks for the detailed review. Would be interested in your thoughts on any other items you try if you choose to go back anytime soon.

cafereef wrote:Tried TNT today, here is my review.

Background for you to get a perspective into my "likes" when it comes to Mexican food. I am a big fan of southern California / baja style mexican food. Fresh ingredients and more authentic toppings (onion, pickled onions, cilantro, cojita cheese, queso fresco etc). Some of my favorite places in Omaha for Mexican food in west Omaha include Maximos Cantina (favorite restaurant), R Taco (fast casual), and Hectors to name a few. I am not a huge fan of La Mesa or Fuzzy Taco and really hate Tacoville. I will always enjoy Qdoba or Chipolte, but this is kept separate simply because they are chains.

TNT Walking Taco review:

My meal: Pork Burrito and a drink, total price just over $9

Environment: B
I will say that the environment is nice, it's not overly bright, but not dark either, the staff was friendly and pleasant to talk to while preparing my food without being annoying. I give it a B instead of an A for seating reasons, The space is small, and they did a good job of maximizing seating, but if you are by yourself, you seem to only have the choice of taking up a 4 person table, or sit at one of the bar seats. This isnt a huge problem, but the bar tops are narrow and you are just staring at the wall (you can tell my view from the photo above, my burrito took up the entire counter depth).

Price/portions: B
Price's are very competitive with the market, Burritos are between $7-9 depending on the protein, Tacos are $2-4 again depending on protein, I think this is fair. The only reason I give a B instead of an A is I would really like to see portion sizes reduced to bring prices down. This would help a lot overall. You Absolutely get your money's worth, my burrito was massive and priced fairly (larger than Qdoba or Chipolte)

Menu: B+
I give a solid grade with regards to the menu, TNT is clearly trying to get in on the Qdoba and Chipolte market, by offering burritos, tacos (regular and puffy tacos) with similar topping options as their competitors. However, they do throw the walking taco into the mix. I give the B+ instead of an A being the menu is ever so slightly confusing. There are multiple panels on the wall of menus, that are meant to be used as you go down the line, but it's mixed up slightly. The first panel is their "Walking Tacos" then the second is the types of meats and other options like a burrito. Then next to this panel is another panel saying they have regular tacos too. The menu can use a little help organization wise, but it is clean not overly littered with options.

Food: C+
There was nothing overly bad about the food. I had a pork burrito, I had them add cheese, lettuce, some onion, TNT Verde Salsa, TNT Pobalano sauce and a little sour cream. Where the pork was actually very good, not dry or under seasoned, I give the food a C+ simply because it wasnt anything overly special. There are lots of topping options from red cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions and more. The thing that always kills me with Mexican restaurants is their choice in cheese. TNT opted to use what I believe to be thick shredded colby jack cheese. I think to really compete in the "modern" mexican chain market, at least in Omaha right now, with Voodoo, R Taco, Chipolte, Qdoba and all around, offering a basic cheese like this is a let down. I would expect something slightly more authentic like Cojita or Queso Fresco (or at least the option of these). The food overall to me was just solid/ok, it definitely wasn't bad (bad to me is Tacoville on 84th).

Overall: C+
Environment, Menu etc don't mean overly much to me, I am generally the kind of person who finds one thing they like, and sticks to it at a restaurant. If the food is good, I will always go back. TNT Walking Taco, at least to me, will be the place I go to at times when I cant think of anything else that sounds better, or more convenient. Being that I live in Elkhorn, convenience is key to this restaurant. Where I really liked the pork, the rest of the meal was not anything that would drive me to eating there every week or give me the "need to have" mindset. I will go back and try the puffy tacos as that is the only fair thing for me to do as I've had one item, but so far I am not amazed, only slightly disappointed.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

cafereef wrote:Some of my favorite places in Omaha for Mexican food in west Omaha include Maximos Cantina (favorite restaurant), R Taco (fast casual), and Hectors to name a few. I am not a huge fan of La Mesa or Fuzzy Taco and really hate Tacoville.
What's your opinion of Cilantro's?
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
cafereef wrote:Some of my favorite places in Omaha for Mexican food in west Omaha include Maximos Cantina (favorite restaurant), R Taco (fast casual), and Hectors to name a few. I am not a huge fan of La Mesa or Fuzzy Taco and really hate Tacoville.
What's your opinion of Cilantro's?
I actually forgot about Cilantro's. I think they have decent salsa, but their steak fajita burrito with their spinach queso on top instead of their red sauce is actually very good.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

TNT Walking Taco day 2 review:

After my first visit I gave TNT Walking Taco a C+, This was after trying their burrito. I will keep the grade on the Burrito where I did, however I will upgrade my overall rating to a B+ after having tried their tacos. I sat in the same place as yesterday for pictures reasoning to ensure you could see the counter depth.

Today I had 2 tacos, chips and queso and a drink. Total Bill just over $11

Where I felt it was slightly steep, I do have to consider this, the tacos were decently sized, they were not small like what you would get at R Taco, Chipolte/Qdoba etc. They were filled up with a good amount of protein as well as any toppings I wished. The queso was just ok, I could taste that it was made using standard nacho cheese as it's base, but was seasoned well. I cannot remember what the price of the Queso alone was but I can say that I really would only get it again if I wanted to have a side, but this is not a deal breaker by any means. One thing that is very nice is their chip bags. I didnt get a picture of it opened, but it's foil lined and comes pre-cut/shapped in a way to where you can open the bag and eat chips out of it without having to poor them out everwhere. This keeps for much more tidy eating and less to clean up.

The Tacos, I had their puffy tacos, this is essentially just a standard flour tortilla that has been deep fried. I did one pork, and one steak. Just like before, the pork was actually very good and in a puffy taco was very nice. The steak was decent, I can't say it was life changing, but it absolutely was not bad either. They season the steak well, you can definitely tell that they are using chili powder and other Mexican seasonings. The seasoning was good, not over powering, but nice that it was not just a grilled and sliced steak. But this is where the steak taco ends for me, where it tasted good, the steak was lost in the toppings flavor wise. I did both tacos the same way. "Puffy" shell, meat, a little lettuce, cheese, TNT Chili Verde salsa, and their Creamy Avocado sauce. The salsa verde and the creamy avocado are both pretty good, but the flavors overpowered the steak to where you only get a hint of the steak taste. The pork however holds it's own, definitely still get the pork and seasonings they use on the pork flavor, despite the toppings. Overall, I really enjoyed the pork taco, by far more than I did my burrito yesterday, or the steak taco today. This is not to discount the burrito or the steak taco. The burrito was decent, not chipolte, or qdoba good, but a solid burrito, the steak taco was good as well, I have no complaints flavor wise at all other than the steak got lost in the toppings flavors.

Today's visit, Overall: B+ to a low A-. I will absolutely go back for their puffy pork tacos

Overall Tray (You can see the counter depth)

Pork Taco

Steak Taco

Tristian.96
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Tristian.96 »

Does anyone know the business hours?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Tristian.96 wrote:Does anyone know the business hours?

11AM - 9PM seven days a week per their fresh off the shelf Facebook page
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

TNT Walking Taco in Elkhorn is closing permanently on 1/23/2023.

From their Facebook post:
With heavy hearts we would like our dear customers and friends to know that we will be closing TNT Walking Taco on January 23rd. After 5 years we could not keep up with the rising food and labor costs, along with three similar businesses opening around us we cannot afford to compete with restaurant chains as a local family owned business. We truly appreciate all the support and friendships over the years, and we will continue to support our Omaha community.