Tired Texan BBQ - Moving to Papillion

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Tired Texan BBQ - Moving to Papillion

Post by WBR_Tom »

Heard tonight that a new BBQ place is going into the old Perkins on 108th & L (inside the Best Western). It'll be called "Tired Texan BBQ" and is shooting for an early May grand opening. Kind of an interesting location with Hog Wild a couple of doors down, but the owner didn't seem too worried about it; he said he subscrribes to the CVS/Walgreens philosophy that there's enough business to go around. I'm always excited to try a new local business so I can't wait to check this place out.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Omaha Metro Area's Best BBQ

Post by Coyote »

WBR_Tom wrote:Heard tonight that a new BBQ place is going into the old Perkins on 108th & L (inside the Best Western). It'll be called "Tired Texan BBQ" and is shooting for an early May grand opening. Kind of an interesting location with Hog Wild a couple of doors down, but the owner didn't seem too worried about it; he said he subscrribes to the CVS/Walgreens philosophy that there's enough business to go around. I'm always excited to try a new local business so I can't wait to check this place out.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. They have been working here for several weeks and I was wondering what might be going in here!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like they have a Facebook page and if you google the name there are some other hits that show up with their name and the correct address mentioned.

https://www.facebook.com/TiredTexanBBQ/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They must be going to be really good since they are not open yet but have a 5* review already on Facebook.

Looks like the owner / guy starting this is Chip Holland

The FB page says Opening May 2.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

nebugeater wrote:They must be going to be really good since they are not open yet but have a 5* review already on Facebook.

Not so fast; they've got a 1-star review also. So, I anticipate them having to close their doors before they even open them.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Chip is an Alabama fan. Boycott.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

choke wrote:
nebugeater wrote:They must be going to be really good since they are not open yet but have a 5* review already on Facebook.

Not so fast; they've got a 1-star review also. So, I anticipate them having to close their doors before they even open them.
that's funny. That one star is two hours old and happend after I posted about the 5 *
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It also says that you were there nebugeater. :music:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

According to their Facebook page Tired Texan served lunch today and ran out of meat...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:According to their Facebook page Tired Texan served lunch today and ran out of meat...
How does that even happen? You're a BBQ place and you run out of meat :what: .. its akin to a Starbucks running out of coffee or a brew pub running out of beer..

It does not compute...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hopefully that means its really good and lots of people showed up.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Coyote wrote:According to their Facebook page Tired Texan served lunch today and ran out of meat...
How does that even happen? You're a BBQ place and you run out of meat :what: .. its akin to a Starbucks running out of coffee or a brew pub running out of beer..

It does not compute...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Different shelf life for beer and coffee.

I will give them a pass for know. If they are doing this a year from know it is another story. They are brand new to the restaurant business as I understand. Just opened. Last thing you want is a lot of left over product that sits for days or gets tossed. With a the variables I would not want to be the one to predict how much meat to smoke well in advance.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

That happened the previous weekend as well. Like nebugeater wrote, if it's still a problem a year from now, that's a problem; right now they're certainly still trying to figure out supply and demand. My wife and I have been twice, and business appeared brisk both times, so right now I'll chalk it up to them being busier than they counted on right off the bat.

The brisket was tasty; nice smoke ring, good flavor from the rub, cooked perfectly both times. Pulled pork was also really good, and consistent both times. I haven't personally tried the ribs, but they looked good (father in law ordered them on our visit last week). I was a big fan of the Texas Tumblers (bacon, cheese, and hash browns rolled into a golf ball sized sphere and deep-fat-fried). Ditto for the creamed corn and fries. Didn't care for the baked beans with crispy onion strings on top or the corn bread muffin top, but YMMV.

Certainly seems like the ingredients are there for a successful BBQ joint (a pit master with legit BBQ skills, good recipes, easily accessible location). But the service was spotty, they've run out of meat three times in two weeks, and it's half a block away from a chain BBQ place that seems to do steady business. I *think* those first two are things they can figure out as time goes on; I hope so as I'd much rather support the locally owned place over a chain on that street (and it's so close to both my house and my office I'm likely to frequent one or the other quite a bit). Overall I'd say it's promising.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Tried Tired Texan BBQ during the week last week. They have some minor growing pains to get through but I will be back. All three meats were at around 50% per their board at the door if it was up to date.

The meat and sides are ordered separately and the meat is sold in 1/4 pound increments. Brisket, Pulled pork and Ribs are the normal options with some other random offerings I guess such as hot links or burnt ends on an ad hoc basis. We tried all three meats available. I typically am a brisket first person but of the three the ribs were a home run and topped my list. The rest were fine too but the ribs with the dry rub were great. We tried their corn, beans, and mac and cheese as sides. There are other sides that I will try next time too. All were good but I have had better beans elsewhere and prob will pass on them in the future. They have one BBQ sauce on the table. It is a vinegary base. I liked it in the pork. The Brisket didn't need anything, and neither did the ribs of course. Our daughter didn't like the BBQ sauce. They would do theme self good by adding other choices on the table even if they were repackaged commercial sauces.

They greet you once seated with a Texas Tumbleweed for each at the table. These are a potato "ball" with bacon, cheese about the size of a golf ball. They were good and are sold as a appetizer also.

No beer yet but the taps are set at the bar and assuming they are waiting on the license. Good number of tap handles so it will not be two or three selections only.

Give the place a try.
Brad
City Council

Re: Tired Texan BBQ (108 & L)

Post by Brad »

Finally tried the Tired Texan. It was alright. We didn't get any of those free Texas Tumbleweeds that Nebugeater mentioned, but we did order some and they were good. Nothing had much flavor. The meat had a great smoke ring, but really didn't taste any smoke. I also noticed the 6 empty beer taps. I asked our server if they had any beer and all she said was "No", and nothing about "Were working on it" or "we don't have our liquor license yet", just a flat out "No".

I'll give them another try, everyone has off days. I hope it works out for them, they are only a 5 min drive from the house.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Glad to hear everyone is liking this place. I really need to get back for a second try.

Review: Tired Texan is hidden away, but smoky meats and tasty sides stand out

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/reviews/ ... 8b6fb.html
By Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote: If there’s some sort of rule that says good barbecue comes only from restaurants in really random locations, well, Tired Texan fits that bill.

It’s tucked inside a Best Western motel off 108th and L Streets; my Google maps couldn’t find it, and it took me a good five minutes of driving in circles to spot the sign.

Thankfully, once I got inside, the restaurant was well worth the effort.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Glad to hear everyone is liking this place. I really need to get back for a second try.
Based on everyone's responses and the W-H piece, I need to give this place a first try...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Brad wrote:Glad to hear everyone is liking this place. I really need to get back for a second try.
Based on everyone's responses and the W-H piece, I need to give this place a first try...
Let me know when you are going...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
You bet :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Me too!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Me too!
I would give it a couple of weeks. We called for reservations based on what others said. When I called on Saturday, I reserved for 4 pm because we were taking my parents who are pretty frail and like to eat early. I was asked to reserve meat choices then so they could set it aside for us. When my wife and parents walked in, the hostess said that they had sold out, then asked if we were the people who reserved. My wife said yes, then they closed the door behind us. Our food was good and we did get the sampler Tumbleweeds, (Which were good, but I would not get them again.) Still, till they get their food ordering and prepping down a bit for the crowd they are getting, I would suggest waiting.

Overall, the ribs were equal to or better than Parkers, the pulled pork was better than Parkers, and the brisket was thick cut (my preference) and tasted OK. I would make it equal to Parkers. The coleslaw with the choices of dressing was very tasty (esp the Poppyseed). The French fries were real potatoes right before they got fried. The beans were very good. The creamed corn was tasty. Our waitress referred to it as "crack corn" because they are all hooked on it.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Me too!
I would give it a couple of weeks. We called for reservations based on what others said. When I called on Saturday, I reserved for 4 pm because we were taking my parents who are pretty frail and like to eat early. I was asked to reserve meat choices then so they could set it aside for us. When my wife and parents walked in, the hostess said that they had sold out, then asked if we were the people who reserved. My wife said yes, then they closed the door behind us. Our food was good and we did get the sampler Tumbleweeds, (Which were good, but I would not get them again.) Still, till they get their food ordering and prepping down a bit for the crowd they are getting, I would suggest waiting.

Overall, the ribs were equal to or better than Parkers, the pulled pork was better than Parkers, and the brisket was thick cut (my preference) and tasted OK. I would make it equal to Parkers. The coleslaw with the choices of dressing was very tasty (esp the Poppyseed). The French fries were real potatoes right before they got fried. The beans were very good. The creamed corn was tasty. Our waitress referred to it as "crack corn" because they are all hooked on it.
I definitely will Uffda!..

And I was planning on going in a couple of weeks anyway (probably on a Saturday) so your advice, bigredmed1, to wait a couple of weeks is perfect timing.. And thanks for the overall review. Can't wait to try the "crack corn" :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Me too!

And I was planning on going in a couple of weeks anyway (probably on a Saturday) so your advice, bigredmed1, to wait a couple of weeks is perfect timing.. And thanks for the overall review. Can't wait to try the "crack corn" :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
They have been open since middle of May. Another two weeks will not make a differance one way or another.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Me too!

Ciao..LiO...Peace
They have been open since middle of May. Another two weeks will not make a differance one way or another.
I think they were overrun due to the review.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Me too!

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think they were overrun due to the review.
If you follow their facebook page running out has been fairly common the whole time they have been open.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

If that's the case, they won't be here long.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Got to try them on Saturday.

Pulled Pork was just okay.

Beef Brisket was really really good.

The ribs were amazing. Probably some of the best ribs I've had in a long time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I finally made it to Tired Texan for lunch yesterday. I was very impressed..

I ordered a half slab of ribs and they were fantastic. The dry rub seasoning was delicious and the ribs were fall off the bone good. They offer 2 different BBQ sauces- one regular and one on the spicy side. Both are house made and both are solid.. My half slab came with cornbread which was delicious all by itself.. Next time I go, I’ll try the brisket..

I also ordered a side of the cream corn and it was probably the best I’ve ever tasted..

My bill for the above lunch came to just above $19.00, so it is a bit pricey..but I think this is a BBQ place in Omaha that’s worth a visit every 6 weeks or so..

Recommended :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

If the ribs fall off the bone they are seriously over-cooked.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nativeomahan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:51 pm If the ribs fall off the bone they are seriously over-cooked.
These ribs were not over cooked at all. The half slab I had were very very good and pretty close to perfectly exevtuted.. My lunch mate, who smokes ribs himself and is much more a BBQ connoisseur than I, ordered the same half slab as I and felt the same way..

If you haven’t, I’d recommend giving them a try. You won’t be disappointed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have eaten there, last fall. I was not impressed. And to top it off the restaurant’s computer system crashed for 25 minutes when I went to pay the check. I waited and waited. They could not process anyone’s credit cards, or print out receipts. I ended up getting my $19 lunch for the $12 I had in my wallet.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:12 pm
nativeomahan wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:51 pm If the ribs fall off the bone they are seriously over-cooked.
These ribs were not over cooked at all. The half slab I had were very very good and pretty close to perfectly exevtuted.. My lunch mate, who smokes ribs himself and is much more a BBQ connoisseur than I, ordered the same half slab as I and felt the same way..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I have been there three times. First was close to opening when they ran out of food. Second was ok, but not better than anywhere else. The final time was when there was a coating of ash over my ribs. They were less BBQ and almost cremains. Will never go back.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I have been there three times. First was close to opening when they ran out of food. Second was ok, but not better than anywhere else. The final time was when there was a coating of ash over my ribs. They were less BBQ and almost cremains. Will never go back.
Wow. Sounds like I’m in the minority here. My first time experience was great. The ribs were excellent and the cream corn was addictive..

I’m going for a return visit in a couple of weeks to try the brisket.. I hope it’s not a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde kind of place, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

My experiences here are they are really good at marketing.....
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’m wondering too, if we just went at the right time- 1:30pm on a Saturday afternoon..

I’ll test that theory when I go again in a couple weeks-same day, same time...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

My rule of thumb when it comes to any barbecue restaurant: if you can’t smell hardwood smoke from the parking lot, keep on going.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

I was there on Saturday night and thought everything was pretty darn good. This is the best actual sit-down BBQ restaurant from a food, service, experience perspective that Omaha has had in my time in the area (2002ish).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

43county wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:50 pm I was there on Saturday night and thought everything was pretty darn good. This is the best actual sit-down BBQ restaurant from a food, service, experience perspective that Omaha has had in my time in the area (2002ish).
Thanks for the positive feedback..

I was beginning to think I was a party of 1.. In that perhaps I was the only one who really enjoyed his first visit..and plan to return soon..

:thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

I also enjoy Tired Texan.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Tried Tired Texas a couple of weeks ago. It's good... not as good as Smokin' Barrel in Millard, but it definitely is a player.