2018 Offutt AFB Defenders of Freedom Air and Space Show

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

2018 Offutt AFB Defenders of Freedom Air and Space Show

Post by nebugeater »

On the Air Shows Facebook page they have announced that there will be an Air show in 2018. This was posted in the last few hours.

Dates are Aug 11 - 12

I was of the understanding that runway work in 2018 would not allow for a show but unless there has been improvements canceled, having a show is a good thing.

https://www.facebook.com/theoffuttairsh ... 1Y&fref=nf
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: 2018 Offutt AFB Defenders of Freedom Air and Space Show

Post by skinzfan23 »

Let's hope there is a show next year. It is a major economic event for Bellevue. I have lived there since summer 2013 and in the 5 years, they have only had 2-3 shows. (they had been held annually for over 20 years)
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

A B-2 Stealth Bomber was flying into AFB about 1pm today. Are they common here or is there an event going on?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trips wrote:A B-2 Stealth Bomber was flying into AFB about 1pm today. Are they common here or is there an event going on?
Not common, but it happens from time to time. I have a friend that lives close to the flight path and sees lots of different jets that are not normally at offutt.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Trips wrote:A B-2 Stealth Bomber was flying into AFB about 1pm today. Are they common here or is there an event going on?
Not common, but it happens from time to time. I have a friend that lives close to the flight path and sees lots of different jets that are not normally at offutt.
So that is what that was. I saw something in the distance and said "Whaaaa?"
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Air Force Thunderbirds won't be at Offutt's 2018 air show, but they'll return in 2019
But even without a major flight team, the Offutt show won’t lack for sizzle, said Capt. Hunter Horste, air show director for the Offutt-based 55th Wing. Flight demonstrations of the Air Force’s F-35 and F-22 fighter jets will headline the Defenders of Freedom Air and Space Show Aug. 11 and 12, 2018.

It will be the first time an F-35A has flown at the show. The Air Force introduced the aircraft in 2016.

The Offutt air show is returning after a one-year hiatus. The 2017 event, which would have included a Thunderbirds appearance, was canceled because of a heavy deployment schedule by the Wing’s airmen.

The 2019 show had also been in doubt because of a two-year project to repair Offutt’s runway that will begin next year.

However, 55th Wing officials said actual construction will not begin until after the 2019 air show, when the Wing’s flight operations will move to facilities at the Lincoln Airport that will be renovated in late 2018 and early 2019.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the 2019 Defenders of Freedom Air & Space Show at Offutt has fallen victim to the flooding.

https://www.offutt.af.mil/News/Article/ ... 3Waimt7gQ/

The 2019 Defenders of Freedom Open House and Air Show has been cancelled.
While the 55th Wing and our partner units are fully mission-capable, the recent flooding event affecting much of Nebraska has made hosting this year’s annual event untenable.

“The scope of this historic disaster has touched nearly every aspect of Nebraska including Offutt Air Force Base,” Col. Michael Manion, 55th Wing commander, said. “Assessing the impact to the base is ongoing and we will recover, but it is obvious it will be some time before we can return to normal operations or have the capacity to host an event like an air show and open house. We sincerely enjoy opening our gates to the public and appreciate the tremendous support we get from Bellevue, Omaha and the surrounding communities and are committed to continuing the open house and air show at the next available opportunity.”

No dates for future Defenders of Freedom shows have been set at this time. Anyone who has purchased premium “Flight Deck” seating will receive a full refund and no action is required by the purchasers
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I totally understand why they are cancelling it, but this is 7th summer I have lived in Bellevue and they have only had an airshow 3 times. I really wish that Bellevue would have some other sort of festival that draws tourists since the airshow can't be relied upon anymore. And next year, the runway is getting work done, so there won't be one then either.

There is Riverfest in Bellevue, but I doubt that many people travel to come to that and it probably doesn't have much impact on hotels and restaurants in the area.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:09 am I totally understand why they are cancelling it, but this is 7th summer I have lived in Bellevue and they have only had an airshow 3 times. I really wish that Bellevue would have some other sort of festival that draws tourists since the airshow can't be relied upon anymore. And next year, the runway is getting work done, so there won't be one then either.

There is Riverfest in Bellevue, but I doubt that many people travel to come to that and it probably doesn't have much impact on hotels and restaurants in the area.
Plus, after the massive Missouri River flooding I doubt that Haworth Park will be in any shape to host anything this summer. I honestly don’t know why they don’t just abandon the park. It seems to suffer massive damage every couple of years. What’s the definition of insanity?