Jukes Ale Works

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Jukes Ale Works

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Jukes Ale Works, downtown Elkhorn, next to Boyd and Charlie's. Projected to open summer 2017.

https://m.facebook.com/Jukes-Ale-Works-324722610986327/

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... -they.html
Brad
City Council

Re: Jukes Ale Works

Post by Brad »

Any updated on this? I always get worried when I don't see anything, but the sign is falling down...

Fresh03
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Fresh03 »

Originally that building was supposed to be a remodel but once they got into it and started doing work, they found it needed to be a complete tear down. So I think they now want to move to a different location and build new or build new at that site. We can talk about it at the Pint some night when we are both around.

Doug
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sounds good!
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

yes, unfortunately they wont be moving into there unless they decide to remove the structure :(
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Interesting b/c the TIF request wasn't pulled and is in front of the Planning Board.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

The building was demolished today, Jukes is still going in, but just not in the original structure.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cafereef wrote:The building was demolished today, Jukes is still going in, but just not in the original structure.
TIF request says the design will be similar to the Blatt by TD Ameritrade with a rooftop patio.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

iamjacobm wrote:
cafereef wrote:The building was demolished today, Jukes is still going in, but just not in the original structure.
TIF request says the design will be similar to the Blatt by TD Ameritrade with a rooftop patio.
I beat a dead horse to a crowd who is deaf to that sound, but Tax Increment Financing was supposed to be used to help build things that we needed. Do we honestly need another bar? Esp in that part of old Elkhorn?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

bigredmed1 wrote: I beat a dead horse to a crowd who is deaf to that sound, but Tax Increment Financing was supposed to be used to help build things that we needed. Do we honestly need another bar? Esp in that part of old Elkhorn?
When it comes to TIFS more and more it looks like any cares for HONESTY have been tossed to the wind. Public taxes are being used to pay for a new bar in an area that is just old not blighted. Anyway you want to slice it at the beginning of the day and the end of the day many of these TIFS are nothing but another way for well connected developers to line their pockets with OPM.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have to disagree. We are talking about a building that could not be remodeled because of structural problems, in an Old Towne district. Wouldn't that building be designated as blighted? And for a TIF it returns a substantial tax return business for the city? For a building that might return $1k in taxes turning into a building that might return $50k in tax revenue? I call that a wise investment.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Coyote wrote:I have to disagree. We are talking about a building that could not be remodeled because of structural problems
Looks to me like the reason it could not be remodeled is because the owner was senile or something. They could not even patch up a couple of panels on the garage door. That building has been there a hundred years and would of stood for another 100 years if someone with two ounces of sense owned it.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote:I have to disagree. We are talking about a building that could not be remodeled because of structural problems, in an Old Towne district. Wouldn't that building be designated as blighted? And for a TIF it returns a substantial tax return business for the city? For a building that might return $1k in taxes turning into a building that might return $50k in tax revenue? I call that a wise investment.
How much of that $50k goes to the county that pays the cost of the TIF? How much of the hoped for tax windfall will be new money? How much is just going to be shifted from one bar to another?

Not a fan of TIF for these reasons.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Coyote wrote:I have to disagree. We are talking about a building that could not be remodeled because of structural problems
Looks to me like the reason it could not be remodeled is because the owner was senile or something.
You own this building?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Linkin5 wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Looks to me like the reason it could not be remodeled is because the owner was senile or something.
You own this building?
You do have to admit that garage door appears to not have seen a drop of paint in over 25 years. What could cause a person to be so out of it or neglectful that they could not even slap a coat of paint on that garage door in over 20 years. I'm guessing it was due to being old and senile. Paint is so cheap you cant say they could not afford to paint it. You tell me what was going on there. Maybe they wanted to make that building look so bad so they could get their hands on some gov handouts like someone did is that what you wanted to hear? :lafcry:

You got a keg sitting there in the street and a bread tray laying there. Thats nice and sanitary isnt it. :gun: They dont need TIFs they need to clean up their act.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Fresh03 wrote:once they got into it and started doing work, they found it needed to be a complete tear down.
Someone didn't do their homework.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Kind of a pain to pull it up on my phone, but I will look up the TIF application and post it here to see their justification. DT Elkhorn was designated a community revitalization area years ago. Both sides seem to be playing by the rules laid out by the state legislature. There is a group that wants more rules written for TIF, not sure how much support they have on the floor though.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

iamjacobm wrote:Kind of a pain to pull it up on my phone, but I will look up the TIF application and post it here to see their justification. DT Elkhorn was designated a community revitalization area years ago. Both sides seem to be playing by the rules laid out by the state legislature. There is a group that wants more rules written for TIF, not sure how much support they have on the floor though.
Is there a bill in the hopper?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

LB95 - Change provisions relating to the Community Development Law and tax-increment financing.
Carryover from 05JAN17, proposed as priority 03JAN18.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Coyote wrote:LB95 - Change provisions relating to the Community Development Law and tax-increment financing.
Carryover from 05JAN17, proposed as priority 03JAN18.
Thanks
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

iamjacobm wrote:The promised TIF application.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... 9/1362.pdf
That document is damning evidence that my initial suspicions were correct.

Lets start here with what they call Mandatory Criteria #4. Which starts out by saying "The project furthers the objective of the Citys Master Plan by resulting in urban development and furthering job creation." :lol: Yet in other places in this document it says the anticipated annual salary created by this business is 38,000 with 6 jobs! Enough said.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The promised TIF application.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... 9/1362.pdf
That document is damning evidence that my initial suspicions were correct.

Lets start here with what they call Mandatory Criteria #4. Which starts out by saying "The project furthers the objective of the Citys Master Plan by resulting in urban development and furthering job creation." :lol: Yet in other places in this document it says the anticipated annual salary created by this business is 38,000 with 6 jobs! Enough said.
Yep, this is a strange entity in deed if 6 jobs only amount to an annual payroll of $38,000. I also find it hard to believe that that small project creates 12 construction jobs. I doubt it creates any jobs. This strikes me as a scam to get our tax money to pay for their bar. Frankly, given that there are not only them, but 4 existing bars within 200 feet of the place, I think this application is misleading to an extent that makes one suspect bad intent.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jukes is now ready to build a 2 story 7800 SF Brewery and Restaurant at 20560 Elkhorn Dr.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 pm Jukes is now ready to build a 2 story 7800 SF Brewery and Restaurant at 20560 Elkhorn Dr.
Nice to see they are building a new building on their original location. It should be a nice addition to a fairly charming main street in downtown Elkhorn.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, that's great!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

i wonder if those garage doors open in nice weather or is that going to be the brewery end
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm i wonder if those garage doors open in nice weather or is that going to be the brewery end
I see Brad Jukes up at the Casual Pint every once in a while, I can ask him.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Building permit obtained today.
Construction begins Monday.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

Rendering of the brewery. I live a few blocks away so I am looking forward to this place finally opening up. The rooftop will be awesome.
Jukes.jpg
Jukes.jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nice! That could be a catalyst for helping downtown Elkhorn become more of a destination.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Work for the footings was well under way on Monday when I drove by.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Jukes Ale Works in Elkhorn, NE

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sign is up!
jukes.jpg
jukes.jpg (204.66 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I look forward to checking this place out...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Officially open Tuesday Sep 24. They have had multiple soft opening events already.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We went to Jukes over the long holiday weekend. It was my 88th Brewery overall and my 30th Nebraska Brewery!

I tried several beers and they were all good, some were really good. We had dinner and the food are good as well. Service was quick and friendly.

This is a great addition to Downtown Elkhorn.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I almost went there this weekend, you beat me to it.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Every time I go to Jukes I think I am more impressed. Jukes and Kros Strain are my favorites in town. I am tempted to give Jukes the nod over KS because Jukes has food as well as great beer. Qualification: I haven’t tried any of their IPAs yet.

Tonight the top level bar and outside upper deck were full with a waiting line extending downstairs. Great food, great beer (I had a marzen style beer and another with rye malt), great crowd, great service and great evening on the deck.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.