Not so Official: Giordano's coming to Omaha!

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Re: Giordano's to Omaha?

Post by WBR_Tom »

Yeah, they're being cagey about it. They announced Omaha as the winner of the contest, but aren't committing to anything. Their reply to anyone who asks on social media is some variation of "Omaha won the contest; we'll announce our new location in the coming months."

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

But we get 10% off on shipping! :fruit:
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

It would be nice if the "contest" is real and nicer if they do come to Omaha, but hey, any discussion about pizza is a good discussion!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

WBR_Tom wrote:Yeah, they're being cagey about it. They announced Omaha as the winner of the contest, but aren't committing to anything. Their reply to anyone who asks on social media is some variation of "Omaha won the contest; we'll announce our new location in the coming months."

Which in translation probably means- “Yeah. Omaha won the contest..but we were planning on expanding to Dallas all along. Thanks for playing and enjoy your 10% off...”..

:roll: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Looks like Cowboy called it correctly.
No posts exist for this topic
Rehulk
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rehulk »

I will sooooooo shocked that an Internet poll didn't result in us getting a franchise instantly.

That said, hope they consider your fair city in the future. Would live some real deep dish pie around here.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Lol..

At least, 6 months later, Omaha is still on their radar.. Give me a break :roll: ..

In any case, As long as I have La Casa, Orsi’s, Big Fred’s, Mama’s etc.. I wont shed too much of a tear if Giordano’s doesn’t find Omaha worthy of their presence.. But hey, it’s wonderful to still be “on their radar” list :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Lol..

At least, 6 months later, Omaha is still on their radar.. Give me a break :roll: ..

In any case, As long as I have La Casa, Orsi’s, Big Fred’s, Mama’s etc.. I wont shed too much of a tear if Giordano’s doesn’t find Omaha worthy of their presence.. But hey, it’s wonderful to still be “on their radar” list :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Amen!

I am so glad that I work so close to Orsi's..
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Lol..

Ciao..LiO...Peace

Amen!

I am so glad that I work so close to Orsi's..
Very Nice :thumb: ..

Now I know who to call for a late afternoon Orsi”s pizza run :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Official: Giordano's coming to Omaha!

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And while we were away.. From the W-H:

“It’s happening. Giordano’s Pizza is coming to Omaha.

On Thursday afternoon, a publicist for the Chicago deep-dish pizza chain confirmed news delivered earlier in the day via company social media.

“We are definitely coming,” said Jessica Wenson, marketing manager for Giordano’s.”..

The story link:

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/giordano ... 641ea.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

I got the feeling they want to put it in downtown and there is a good chance that could be their first and last mistake. If they put it out west the public will be much more receptive. We don't want to have to drive downtown to eat pizza.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Except that Giordano's is a destination restaurant (at least for those of us who live far from Chicago). I'd imagine people who live here and crave that style and taste of pizza will drive anywhere in the area for some. So, putting the location where out of town visitors would have easier access could be a second level of marketing. (Yeah, personally I'd prefer it midtown or out west, mainly for parking.)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

When they have went outside of Chicago have they typically went into existing space or do they build from the ground up?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It will be interesting to see their site selection. I hope that it does go downtown, but understand if it goes to West O. Maybe they could move into the Capitol District.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Aksarben Village: HDR building?
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 am It will be interesting to see their site selection. I hope that it does go downtown, but understand if it goes to West O. Maybe they could move into the Capitol District.
I too would like to see it downtown, and while Capitol is a no-brainer on paper I wonder if their lease/buildout with Lighthouse Pizza will make that an impossibility. Usually there is language about similar concepts in a development, but who knows.

I think the smart money is on downtown, but I could also see Westroads or La Vista. My thoughts are they'd want some sort of thoroughfare or Interstate access if not downtown, but it's all speculation. Typically their stores are 4000-5000 sq ft. I would think for a new market they would want a standalone building also if not downtown.

The new Farm thing would be logical too, but I have a feeling they won't want to wait that long, I'd be shocked if they were this open about it if their restaurants isn't going to be open for 2 years or whatever.

I think I'd rank it downtown, Westroads, La Vista in terms of likelihood with "way out West" and "anything else" being a distant 4th and 5th.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

They could select building in North Downtown.. Next to the big event facilities..

Ak Village is such a traffic nightmare.. But I wouldn’t rule them out. There is an empty Joe’s Crabshack in a prime standalone location at Westroads..

Heck, perhaps General Growth can entice Giordano’s to build within the Oakview mousetrap :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

43county wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am I too would like to see it downtown, and while Capitol is a no-brainer on paper I wonder if their lease/buildout with Lighthouse Pizza will make that an impossibility. Usually there is language about similar concepts in a development, but who knows.
I forgot all about Lighthouse going in there. So Giordano's isn't going to the Capitol District with that in mind.

Omaha Cowboy brought up a good point, that Joe's Crab Shack's old building is available. I think they would definitely give that a strong consideration.
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am
43county wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am I too would like to see it downtown, and while Capitol is a no-brainer on paper I wonder if their lease/buildout with Lighthouse Pizza will make that an impossibility. Usually there is language about similar concepts in a development, but who knows.
I forgot all about Lighthouse going in there. So Giordano's isn't going to the Capitol District with that in mind.

Omaha Cowboy brought up a good point, that Joe's Crab Shack's old building is available. I think they would definitely give that a strong consideration.
I think that would make a lot of sense actually. Especially with Top Golf going in right across the street in a year or two.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Joes Crab shack building is exactly what they would be looking for or build. That is the type of location they will end up in. Or..... How about a brand new build on the ConAgra land??
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I wouldn't rule out the former Stroud's location at Village Pointe. This is not a bad location, everything else seems to do OK nearby. The building has just had a bad run of tenets
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:43 pm And while we were away.. From the W-H:

On Thursday afternoon, a publicist for the Chicago deep-dish pizza chain confirmed news delivered earlier in the day via company social media.

“We are definitely coming,” said Jessica Wenson, marketing manager for Giordano’s.”..

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Color me surprised actually.

My guesses for locations:

1. Village Point
2. Midtown Crossing somewhere if there is a spot open
3. Aksarben
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:43 pm And while we were away.. From the W-H:

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

1. Village Point
3. Aksarben
Yeah.. They did string us along for about 6 months didn’t they.. Almost feel like Omaha was getting “played”a bit..

But in the end, they could not deny the greatness of the Big O and graced us with a location, lol :) ...

Ciao,,LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

1. Village Point
3. Aksarben
Yeah.. They did string us along for about 6 months didn’t they.. Almost feel like Omaha was getting “played”a bit..

But in the end, they could not deny the greatness of the Big O and graced us with a location, lol :) ...

Ciao,,LiO...Peace

Or they had it planned all along and played or for free marketing.

I would not be surprised if they already have a site selection made and the most recent visit was more marketing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:45 am When they have went outside of Chicago have they typically went into existing space or do they build from the ground up?
I would like to ask this question again. What are their guidelines when looking for a location? Do they like stand alone, amongst other restaurants, located near retail, high traffic areas...?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 am
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am

The story link:

Ciao..LiO...Peace

1. Village Point
3. Aksarben

Ciao,,LiO...Peace

Or they had it planned all along and played or for free marketing.

I would not be surprised if they already have a site selection made and the most recent visit was more marketing.
Very true. Every last bit of this seems like it was choreographed.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am I got the feeling they want to put it in downtown and there is a good chance that could be their first and last mistake. If they put it out west the public will be much more receptive. We don't want to have to drive downtown to eat pizza.
Ah the old "me and all my friends live on this side of town, so if they put it on that side of town no one will go there" fallacy.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Well wherever they put it I hope there is plenty of parking, & I don't mean them garages. Omahans don't want to walk to anything. Best to have all at door parking.

See how silly that sounds?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Looked online at their other locations and there's a lot of variance. Many out in the suburbs exurbs, but their locations in Detroit and Indianapolis are right in downtown. Most also appear to be large buildings. Conclusion: nobody knows!

If I were to place a wager I would guess West Farm or Village Pointe to ensure they get the square footage they want.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Taco wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm Looked online at their other locations and there's a lot of variance. Many out in the suburbs exurbs, but their locations in Detroit and Indianapolis are right in downtown. Most also appear to be large buildings. Conclusion: nobody knows!

If I were to place a wager I would guess West Farm or Village Pointe to ensure they get the square footage they want.
Might they take the restaurant bay next to Scooters in Sterling Ridge?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm
Taco wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm Looked online at their other locations and there's a lot of variance. Many out in the suburbs exurbs, but their locations in Detroit and Indianapolis are right in downtown. Most also appear to be large buildings. Conclusion: nobody knows!

Might they take the restaurant bay next to Scooters in Sterling Ridge?
I think if they were to go there, they would take up all the other bays in the building. They don't have very consistent architecture in their locations, but here are a couple of their newer locations to give you an estimate on size:
https://www.giordanos.com/locations/minneapolis-uptown
https://www.giordanos.com/locations/richfield

I'd like to revise my previous prediction and say I now think Westroads is most likely based on size of location available and how its already in a "happening" area families go to and has lots of parking.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I had heard that the old Joe's Crabshack had already had a new occupant slated? A different seafood concept.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How about on 84th St in the former Joann's Fabrics location north of I-80.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:01 am How about on 84th St in the former Joann's Fabrics location north of I-80.
Do you mean the old Hancocks, where they are putting in the Dollar Tree? Not a bad spot, but right next to La Casa?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Padre wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:42 pm
Coyote wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:01 am How about on 84th St in the former Joann's Fabrics location north of I-80.
Do you mean the old Hancocks, where they are putting in the Dollar Tree? Not a bad spot, but right next to La Casa?
And across the street from a Pizza Ranch. Just a rumor right now.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:00 pm
Padre wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:42 pm
And across the street from a Pizza Ranch. Just a rumor right now.
That would be a pretty nice locatiion..

I’m still thinking they’ll locate at Westroads and potentially locate at the vacated Joe’s Crabshack.. But we should know a definite location I’d think, within the next 60-90 days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

Will probably deserve it's own thread at some point but related: Rosati's Pizza (another chain specializing in Chicago deep dish) is opening in the former Tom and Chee spot on 144th and Maple. No clue on the time frame at this time.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

43county wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:13 pm Rosati's Pizza (another chain specializing in Chicago deep dish) is opening in the former Tom and Chee spot on 144th and Maple.
Tom and Chee closed?? :roll: Guess I didn't try them in time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Giordano’s has been very active on Facebook lately.. Posting pictures of their cheesy pizza pies and such. Accordingly, many Omahan’s, including yours truly, have been asking about their “upcoming” Omaha location. So far, it’s falling on deaf ears..

It makes me wonder if Giordano’s is regretting the poll they put up last fall to vote for their next new location. They probably didn’t think Omaha would end up being the overwhelming winner..

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if they throw us a bone...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!