Restaurants Hot Seat

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Re: Restaurants Hot Seat

Post by onelocalfoods »

rumblings of trouble coming from Benson Brewery and Baela Rose
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

onelocalfoods wrote:rumblings of trouble coming from Benson Brewery and Baela Rose
Damn. The wife and I liked Benson Brewery much more than Infusion when we tried them back-to-back. Could have been a fluke, but Benson was an excellent experience while Infusion was absolute |expletive|.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Benson Brewery surprises me as my food and service has always been good. When I drive for the rideshare companies I would say that 50% of my Benson drop-offs are there. Benson Brewery-La Vista sounds good to me.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Trips wrote:Benson Brewery surprises me as my food and service has always been good. When I drive for the rideshare companies I would say that 50% of my Benson drop-offs are there. Benson Brewery-La Vista sounds good to me.
Their closing would be unfortunate..

Let’s hope they can weather the storm...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

We got another one of those Beer places out here in Millard that is flopping harder then a 300 pound man at a hotel swimming pool. Its the LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen. The only way they have not lost a ton of money is if the Landlord gave them the first 2 years free. The place is always dead. By now the owner of Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen has got to have figured out that the Millard Lumberyard District dream is not happening. There is a Dunkin Donuts on one end of the strip mall and LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen on the other end. There are no other tenants and there is no sign of that changing. The Lumberyard District is a big Dud! Or should I say hoax. I mean at sometime it finally dawned on me that the Developer does not really care if he fills that strip mall or not. Its all about the apartments hidden behind the mall. The developer was just using the strip mall and the Lumberyard District B.S. as a way to smooth over the public as they wheeled in those 4 story apartment buildings. LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Millard is on a hot seat that shows little or no hope of cooling down.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:We got another one of those Beer places out here in Millard that is flopping harder then a 300 pound man at a hotel swimming pool. Its the LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen. The only way they have not lost a ton of money is if the Landlord gave them the first 2 years free. The place is always dead. By now the owner of Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen has got to have figured out that the Millard Lumberyard District dream is not happening. There is a Dunkin Donuts on one end of the strip mall and LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen on the other end. There are no other tenants and there is no sign of that changing. The Lumberyard District is a big Dud! Or should I say hoax. I mean at sometime it finally dawned on me that the Developer does not really care if he fills that strip mall or not. Its all about the apartments hidden behind the mall. The developer was just using the strip mall and the Lumberyard District B.S. as a way to smooth over the public as they wheeled in those 4 story apartment buildings. LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Millard is on a hot seat that shows little or no hope of cooling down.

If it is anyth8ng like the on in Gretna at the outlet mall it might have as much to do,with service / value as location. I want so bad to like the Gretna location but each time I have went there it has been a desaster. I gave up. For the prices, the service should be above average and the food should be decent in a timely manor. Three strikes for me. I no longer go there and will not try it again
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:We got another one of those Beer places out here in Millard that is flopping harder then a 300 pound man at a hotel swimming pool. Its the LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen. The only way they have not lost a ton of money is if the Landlord gave them the first 2 years free. The place is always dead. By now the owner of Local Beer, Patio and Kitchen has got to have figured out that the Millard Lumberyard District dream is not happening. There is a Dunkin Donuts on one end of the strip mall and LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen on the other end. There are no other tenants and there is no sign of that changing. The Lumberyard District is a big Dud! Or should I say hoax. I mean at sometime it finally dawned on me that the Developer does not really care if he fills that strip mall or not. Its all about the apartments hidden behind the mall. The developer was just using the strip mall and the Lumberyard District B.S. as a way to smooth over the public as they wheeled in those 4 story apartment buildings. LOCAL Beer, Patio and Kitchen in Millard is on a hot seat that shows little or no hope of cooling down.
Meanwhile they just opened their fourth spot in Lincoln and rolled out their own 5186 IPA. From the looks of it Charlie
Yin is doing well.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
Meanwhile they just opened their fourth spot in Lincoln and rolled out their own 5186 IPA. From the looks of it Charlie
Yin is doing well.
I get that Coyote and I do not go to the DT location. Go other places when in that area. It is great that they are growing. That being said the one in Gretna and to a lesser extent from what I see on a much more limited routine what is going on at those two doesn't pass the eyeball test. I know you ave been to the Gretna one a couple of times. What was your experience on service.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

You forgot the Eat Fit Go between the two.
Jim Flowers rules!
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Guest wrote:I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts

Benson Brewery Purchased by 1912 Benson.

Whoever you are, guessing is not your strong suit 0-2

:thumb:
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

onelocalfoods wrote:
Guest wrote:I’m guessing fine, considering they recently added space. I would also think benson brewery is doing ok. I wouldn’t think they would have opened barchen if they were struggling at the benson brewery. Just my thoughts

Benson Brewery Purchased by 1912 Benson.

Whoever you are, guessing is not your strong suit 0-2

:thumb:
:clap:
Jim Flowers rules!
Stirring the Pot

Post by Stirring the Pot »

Probably not a popular submission...but I’ll say Spin! Pizza in the bay that is notorious for not keeping restaurants on 175th and Center. First few times we were there seemed very promising. However, after a few recent visits we have noticed a decline in the food and service quality. We all know that does not bode well in the Omaha restaurant scene.

$35.00 for 3 individual pizzas, 2 salads, and 2 gelato, & horrible service is not going to help them. Hope I’m wrong, but time will tell.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Silverspoon wrote:Boston Market on 114th Dodge closed up shop finally.
We always enjoyed eating there. I believe they started out with five locations in Omaha but over time all the others -- and now this one -- closed for one reason or another. Perhaps they weren't as popular with others as they were with us. Some of their side items are hard to find elsewhere, and that was part of their charm for me. I will miss them.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

garyomaha wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:Boston Market on 114th Dodge closed up shop finally.
We always enjoyed eating there. I believe they started out with five locations in Omaha but over time all the others -- and now this one -- closed for one reason or another. Perhaps they weren't as popular with others as they were with us. Some of their side items are hard to find elsewhere, and that was part of their charm for me. I will miss them.
The place was awful. It always killed me when I would go in there once every 2 years and their would always be some old people in their ordering pot pies. :shock:
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Stirring the Pot wrote:Probably not a popular submission...but I’ll say Spin! Pizza in the bay that is notorious for not keeping restaurants on 175th and Center. First few times we were there seemed very promising. However, after a few recent visits we have noticed a decline in the food and service quality. We all know that does not bode well in the Omaha restaurant scene.

$35.00 for 3 individual pizzas, 2 salads, and 2 gelato, & horrible service is not going to help them. Hope I’m wrong, but time will tell.
Oh yeah. There is no way this place makes it. Just about all Pizza places that are not named Pizza Hut or Little Caesars should be considered on the hot seat the day they first open.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Stirring the Pot wrote:Probably not a popular submission...but I’ll say Spin! Pizza in the bay that is notorious for not keeping restaurants on 175th and Center. First few times we were there seemed very promising. However, after a few recent visits we have noticed a decline in the food and service quality. We all know that does not bode well in the Omaha restaurant scene.

Oh yeah. There is no way this place makes it. Just about all Pizza places that are not named Pizza Hut or Little Caesars should be considered on the hot seat the day they first open.
I dunno about all that. Pitch will make it because of the atmosphere. Casey's will make it because of their pizza, not their fuel.
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Silverspoon wrote:[ Casey's will make it because of their pizza, not their fuel.
Er uh NO! Ive heard of those people that get their pizza from Caseys and luv it.........But I have never met anyone that thought their pizza was worth buying over a regular pizza joint.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:[ Casey's will make it because of their pizza, not their fuel.
Er uh NO! Ive heard of those people that get their pizza from Caseys and luv it.........But I have never met anyone that thought their pizza was worth buying over a regular pizza joint.
Biggest pizza seller in Nebraska. Every small town has one and every small town has crappy pizza till they come to town, then they have OK pizza. In the world of discount pizza, OK is all you need.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

I had Casey's pizza for the first time like a week ago, and it was awesome. I used to always get Papa Johns, but Caseys is my go to now.
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Silverspoon wrote:I had Casey's pizza for the first time like a week ago, and it was awesome. I used to always get Papa Johns, but Caseys is my go to now.

Well theres your problem. The only places with worse pizza then Papa Johns are Pizza Hut and Little Caesars. Surely you are not going to say that Caseys or Papa Johns is better then Godfathers. :roll:
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:I had Casey's pizza for the first time like a week ago, and it was awesome. I used to always get Papa Johns, but Caseys is my go to now.

Well theres your problem. The only places with worse pizza then Papa Johns are Pizza Hut and Little Caesars. Surely you are not going to say that Caseys or Papa Johns is better then Godfathers. :roll:
Godfathers has declined since the 1990's. It is nowhere near as good as it was even in the 80s, much less when it was the bar food at Wild Willy's. Can't say that Casey's is better, but can say that Dominos is now better. Sorry to blast the home team, but it is what it is.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Godfathers is absolutely terrible! I hear about ppl who used to live here and moved away that come back to visit and make it a mission to get Godfathers before they leave and I dont get why.
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Silverspoon wrote:Godfathers is absolutely terrible! I hear about ppl who used to live here and moved away that come back to visit and make it a mission to get Godfathers before they leave and I dont get why.
Godfathers is terrible and gas station pizzas are good.........does not compute :?:
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:Godfathers is absolutely terrible! I hear about ppl who used to live here and moved away that come back to visit and make it a mission to get Godfathers before they leave and I dont get why.
Godfathers is terrible and gas station pizzas are good.........does not compute :?:
Most gas station pizza does suck, but I believe Caseys is pretty dang good. And for a company that is literally based entirely on pizza godfathers does a bad job.
advcomp2019
Home Owners Association

Post by advcomp2019 »

Normally, I hear people say that they don't like gas station pizza, but I think they have got better long ago. My local Pizza Hut is the worst near me. I normally go to the local pizza place, Caseys, or even Kum&Go. Actually, the gas station with Godfathers Express that is near me is better then the Pizza Hut near me.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

advcomp2019 wrote:Normally, I hear people say that they don't like gas station pizza, but I think they have got better long ago. My local Pizza Hut is the worst near me. I normally go to the local pizza place, Caseys, or even Kum&Go. Actually, the gas station with Godfathers Express that is near me is better then the Pizza Hut near me.
Pizza Hut has been sliding over the past 2-3 years. Dominos (of the original "Dominos Death Disc" fame) is now better than the Hut. Most other fast food pizza joints are at or above them in quality. For price, they are almost to the level of Mama's in cost, but no where near there in quality.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

It seems that Applebees & IHOP combined are closing 100-120 locations. Haven't seen a list yet.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

debradomayer wrote:It seems that Applebees & IHOP combined are closing 100-120 locations. Haven't seen a list yet.
Im curious to see if there will be any in our area. Seems like we have too many Applebees locations in Omaha.
Jim Flowers rules!
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

One is too many
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Crave Mid Town Crossing.....
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

swgiust wrote:Crave Mid Town Crossing.....
Honestly, I am not surprised. I did think it would Outlast Black Oak Grill.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I ate at the Black Oak Grill in Branson and thought it was pretty good. Never been to the one in Midtown Crossing. I really wish that Omaha could develop something on the riverfront like Branson Landing where Black Oak Grill is.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Post by onelocalfoods »

Everything Mid Town Crossing.
Highspot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Highspot »

Lolo’s at 72nd and Ames is closed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Highspot wrote:Lolo’s at 72nd and Ames is closed.
There was an article in the OWH a few weeks ago about North Omaha restaurants where this appeared:
“I’m frustrated,” said Tim Clark, managing partner of the LoLo’s Chicken and Waffles franchise at that corner. “We’re at risk at the possibility of closing. We can be next.”
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 5089 times
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg
Well that's certainly an interesting way to announce it.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

I didn't even know Lo-Lo's was a chain.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

TLGJames wrote:I didn't even know Lo-Lo's was a chain.
Headquartered out of Phoenix. That’s where I think of when I think soul food.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Coyote wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 pm
swgiust wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 am Crave Mid Town Crossing.....
Closed
Heard they are splitting the space into 2 and already have 1 replacement...