Drive In Theater Proposed

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Drive In Theater Proposed

Post by nebugeater »

From the OWH it looks like there is a plan by a couple to build a drive in theater between Valley and Fremont. It is going before the County Planning Commission so it is at least a little more than a dream.

One question I have that is not mentioned in the story is what is the screen size proposed? If they project as many as 420 cars to see a movie it most be sizable and more like the ones of old than some temporary screen or "side of a building" sized.

Hope this works and gets built, and additionally is sustainable.

http://www.omaha.com/news/plus/couple-s ... 19835.html
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Drive In Theater Proposed

Post by skinzfan23 »

I still wish the drive-in in CB was still open. I thought that was a great location since it was so close to downtown Omaha and Lake Manawa.

We went to one in Door County, WI in August and my kids loved it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I was thinking about this and went looking for any updates. Found they have a facebook page and a name that I was not aware of before. May have had it for a while. Wish them all the luck in the world getting this off the ground.

Quasar Drive-In Theater

AN update from Feb 22 says that the opening will now be in 2020 and not 2019

Here is the message with that update
We strive to bring the highest quality, lasting, family drive-in experience to our Southeastern Nebraska & Southwestern Iowa Family. It’s for this reason that we’ve made the difficult decision to delay our opening until spring of the 2020 movie season. We are moving forward with a less accelerated construction schedule through this summer and fall. This will allow us to reduce costs and put a full operating movie season under our belt before our first dormant winter season, ensuring a stable and sustainable attraction for decades to come.

Keep an eye on our page as things heat up this summer. We’ll continue to bring updates on all aspects of our ongoing projects. Including the restoration of vintage drive-in history that will find its new home at Quasar.

Thank you all for your continued support and contagious excitement for our dream. – Jeff & Jenny Karls

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was just thinking about this the other day.....thanks for the update.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I've seen more 'chatter' about this online lately. Evidently there was a story on KETV that I missed last night. Anyone know anything more about this? Or did anyone catch the story? Says they are supposed to open up this summer, and are making good progress, I think.
Go Cubs Go
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

thenewguy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:37 pm I've seen more 'chatter' about this online lately. Evidently there was a story on KETV that I missed last night. Anyone know anything more about this? Or did anyone catch the story? Says they are supposed to open up this summer, and are making good progress, I think.

Out by Valley they are opening one up.- https://www.omaha.com/news/local/new-dr ... 43693.html

The problem with drive ins is they sound good in theory but once you get out there and try it you realize it was a bad idea. You got bugs and it is either to hot or to cold......the quality of the picture stinks.......the audio stinks........the people in the car next to you are jacking around.....the restroom is a long walk........it just don't work out and that is why they all went out of business. It was tough enough for drive ins 20 or 30 years ago but now it is a joke to watch that crappy screen at a drive in when you can be sitting at home watching in high def on a 65 or 70 inch flat screen.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 pm
thenewguy wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:37 pm I've seen more 'chatter' about this online lately. Evidently there was a story on KETV that I missed last night. Anyone know anything more about this? Or did anyone catch the story? Says they are supposed to open up this summer, and are making good progress, I think.

Out by Valley they are opening one up.- https://www.omaha.com/news/local/new-dr ... 43693.html

The problem with drive ins is they sound good in theory but once you get out there and try it you realize it was a bad idea. You got bugs and it is either to hot or to cold......the quality of the picture stinks.......the audio stinks........the people in the car next to you are jacking around.....the restroom is a long walk........it just don't work out and that is why they all went out of business. It was tough enough for drive ins 20 or 30 years ago but now it is a joke to watch that crappy screen at a drive in when you can be sitting at home watching in high def on a 65 or 70 inch flat screen.
Sound will be better with low power FM sending the sound. The screen will still be an issue.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Sound will be better with low power FM sending the sound. The screen will still be an issue.
I think using the FM signal for audio is fairly standard now. This article says the reason they died was only being able to be open seasonally, the size they take up, and only having one showing a night.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/why-d ... dustry-die
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Follow their Facebook page. Some updates on what is going on there. The link to the KETV store is there to this AM.

https://www.facebook.com/QuasarDriveIn/
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I remember how much fun we had at the drive in theater in Council Bluffs. Part of the allure is getting out of the house, sitting in the back of the van/wagon/pick-up, unfolding lawn chairs, swatting at bugs, etc. It was a fun time. I love HD tv and having big screens be accessible at home, but I think we lost a little something when everything got changed to 'the convenience of your own home'
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Happened to pass by...

Last edited by Stargazer on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There facebook page says they are working hard to be open by Holloween. They got an ajustmut there permit to operator that is not as restrictive on the months of operations so it will be more weather dependant than calendar dependent.

By the way, for me at least, your photos are not showing. Only show as a broken link
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sorry, don't stop by as often as I used to. :)

Fixed those links above... for what it's worth (pretty crummy resolution). I've driven by since, not much changed... looks like they're planning on a spring opening now.

EDIT: I just looked up that Facebook page... I guess they're having a 'drive thru open house' on the 19th.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have been following their Facebook page as well, its too bad they couldn't get open this year, they would have made a killing. I do feel like they are really putting everything they have into it, so hopefully that translates into success.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:34 am I have been following their Facebook page as well, its too bad they couldn't get open this year, they would have made a killing. I do feel like they are really putting everything they have into it, so hopefully that translates into success.
I follow it too. There seem to be some things that indicate they had some real issues with contractors. Of course, there are always two sides to everything.

IT looks good though. I have driven by the site a couple of times and it looks good. Also, they do have plans for another screen or two of things work out.