Hurts Donut Co.

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Hurts Donut Co.

Post by Brad »

Hurts Donut Co.

Hurts Donut Co. wrote:Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Colorado Springs, Memphis, Nashville, Quad Cities, Omaha, Waco
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Hurts Donut Co.

Post by nebugeater »

There is one in Lincoln

IMO some of the most overrated donuts on the market.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:There is one in Lincoln

IMO some of the most overrated donuts on the market.
We have a few Lincoln people working out of our Omaha office and one of them brought in some Hurts Donuts last week. The one I tried had a ridiculous amount of bacon on it. It was a heart attack waiting to happen. Seems like more of a gimmick thing than a donut you would eat often.

That said, the "Tide Pod donut" they had last week was really funny.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Does anyone hear any update on an Omaha location? Their web site still has Omaha on the Comming soon list.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Bacon???? "Tide Pod" donut?????

How tempting ... ... NOT! :(
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hurts donuts is a must stop for us every time we are in Lincoln for hockey (I coach a couple Bantam teams and one high school team). It's a fun quirky place. Some of their donuts are over the top and crazy, some are crazy good. It's not for everyone but we really enjoy it.

Greg
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

on the Omaha Food Lovers group on Facebook someone posted it will be just south of 120th and Blondo in the strip on Franklin
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

rumored mid feb opening
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

They are opening next to the new giordanos pizza....
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

swgiust wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am They are opening next to the new giordanos pizza....
Both are going into the new Crossroads Food Hall
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 am
swgiust wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am They are opening next to the new giordanos pizza....
Both are going into the new Crossroads Food Hall
Is the food hall going right next to Macy's or will it be down by Target?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

One month from opening. 1726 N 120th. Opposite end from the Mediterranean Bistro.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Love that location. Can stop by and get them for the kids to have after early hockey practice at Moylan.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Sign is up on 120th.

Greg
lbmom5
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lbmom5 »

Drove by this week-still doing duct work inside, pretty rough for an opening in a month or less.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm Love that location. Can stop by and get them for the kids to have after early hockey practice at Moylan.

Greg
Turning left to get in or out will cause some gridlock.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Does this place sell good tasting normal donuts or just the over frosted gut bombs?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 pm Does this place sell good tasting normal donuts or just the over frosted gut bombs?
Both.

But the over frosted ones ..

My stomach hurts because of Hurt's.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

bbinks wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:42 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 pm Does this place sell good tasting normal donuts or just the over frosted gut bombs?
Both.

I really miss a good tasting simple donut. Petits are off as are some of the other places. Just a slightly sweet and lightly crisp donut once in a while really hits the spot. Chocolate frosted glazed donuts with jelly beans on top just don't cut it with me.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:33 am
Both.

I really miss a good tasting simple donut. Petits are off as are some of the other places. Just a slightly sweet and lightly crisp donut once in a while really hits the spot. Chocolate frosted glazed donuts with jelly beans on top just don't cut it with me.
For the basics you mentioned my favorite, Petits, being going there since I went to Central in the early 80's. I also like Olsen's on 10th.

There are some donuts at Hurts though that I am very glad I will be able to get in Omaha instead of waiting until my next trip to Lincoln.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:33 am
Both.

Honestly I agree. I usually just go to Le-Mars.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

You know, I must say, I’ve never gotten overly excited about trying a doughnut lol..

But I’ll also say, I’m with Greg S here..and am actually pretty intrigued to at least try one of these “outside of the box” doughnut concoctions from Hurts...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
yman97
Home Owners Association

Post by yman97 »

I had Hurts once in Lincoln and wasn't blown away. I think that Bob's donuts while maybe lacking in variety and creativity makes a much better donut. I have yet to try Square Donut.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"A post on its Facebook page said the COVID-19 situation has delayed its grand opening from Wednesday to “when we can get back to business as (un)usual.”
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I noticed a lot of construction going on there. Looks like possibly an outdoor eating area being installed on the west side? Also, they just posted on their Facebook page that they are hiring with an anticipated opening in mid July.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Latest update from Facebook:
Hurts Donut Co. - Omaha Nebraska

It’s hard to give an opening date in the middle of a pandemic when inspections and construction delays are out of our hands. We are all ready to go 🙂 ball is out of our court though. Thanks for your support!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

A bit of redemption for 2020: Omaha Hurts Donut to open the last day of September
Hurts Donut will launch its Omaha store Sept. 30 with a grand opening celebration, according to its Facebook page.

The chain is known for its unusual doughnut flavors such as Fruity Pebbles, Oreo and Andes Mint. The Omaha location, near 120th and Blondo Streets, was to open earlier this year but was stalled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Hurts Donut will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and has been hiring for a couple of months.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

KMTV had a post from a shor time ago on their FB page that Hurts Donuts is now open in Omaha. Short video if a line of people getting their fix.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They prepackaged 300 boxes of a dozen donuts and have an express line on the right for them. I was in and out of the store this morning in under 2 minutes.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’ll have to give them a try to see if the hype is real...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stan
Home Owners Association

Post by Stan »

I've had them in Lincoln. They're good, but Square Donut is way better. I hope this new business will reduce the line at Square Donut just a little bit.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Stan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 pm I've had them in Lincoln. They're good, but Square Donut is way better. I hope this new business will reduce the line at Square Donut just a little bit.
I completely disagree. I was rather disappointed with Square; I've gotten better donuts at Baker's (at about half the price). The novelty of Square is the shape, which doesn't translate into flavor. Hurts Donuts are about 50% larger than others, with some amazingly creative flavors. (But you'll pay for that.)

I hit Hurts at 6:30 this morning (with my t-shirt "FastPass") and was out in less than 10 minutes because I picked my donuts. They had a cool idea of giving you laminated ordering cards so you didn't waste time at the front of the line.

Tonight, though, I had to stop back because my teenage daughter didn't like my selections :roll: . I was shocked to see about three dozen people in line, circling the store and out the door at 10 pm. For donuts.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I had them too. Was very impressed. I will go back.

Square was a one time thing for me.
Stan
Home Owners Association

Post by Stan »

HskrFanMike wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:40 pm
Stan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 pm I've had them in Lincoln. They're good, but Square Donut is way better. I hope this new business will reduce the line at Square Donut just a little bit.
I completely disagree. I was rather disappointed with Square; I've gotten better donuts at Baker's (at about half the price). The novelty of Square is the shape, which doesn't translate into flavor. Hurts Donuts are about 50% larger than others, with some amazingly creative flavors. (But you'll pay for that.)

I hit Hurts at 6:30 this morning (with my t-shirt "FastPass") and was out in less than 10 minutes because I picked my donuts. They had a cool idea of giving you laminated ordering cards so you didn't waste time at the front of the line.

Tonight, though, I had to stop back because my teenage daughter didn't like my selections :roll: . I was shocked to see about three dozen people in line, circling the store and out the door at 10 pm. For donuts.
I typically judge a donut based on their most basic and the dough on the Square donut is perfection to me. Hurts Donut just adds a ton of toppings and frosting. I even had the one time pickle donut at the Lincoln location so I give them points for being inventive if not a little bit of a ripoff of Voodoo Donut.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’m beginning to think people’s opinions about doughnuts are the same as pizza.. Divisive in nature, lol..

Like one’s opinion on LaCasa pizza- us locals seem to either love it or hate it (count me in as loving it).. For the record, I’ve always liked Winchell’s.. Their Apple fritters the BOMB..and the doughnuts/pastries at HyVee are pretty solid too...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Stan
Home Owners Association

Post by Stan »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:08 am I’m beginning to think people’s opinions about doughnuts are the same as pizza.. Divisive in nature, lol..

Like one’s opinion on LaCasa pizza- us locals seem to either love it or hate it (count me in as loving it).. For the record, I’ve always liked Winchell’s.. Their Apple fritters the BOMB..and the doughnuts/pastries at HyVee are pretty solid too...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Deep Dish Pizza is a casserole.
But really, is there such a thing as a bad donut? Even the pickle donut I had once from Hurts wasn't bad. It was different, but not awful.