Omaha Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball tournament

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Omaha Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball tournament

Post by BKB76 »

Get ready for a fun & competitive day of retro gaming with good food. The 3rd annual Tecmo Bowl & RBI Baseball tournament is Saturday March 24th @ BigWay Burger on 72nd street in Ralston.

Tecmo Bowl kickoffs at noon, & R.B.I. Baseball at 6 PM. Cash prize awarded to top 5 players in each event. 1st place wins a trophy.
$15 entry fee for either tourney, or get in both for $25. Get additional $5 off either price with military ID.

The format ensures everyone plays numerous games! Each tourney opens with a round of 3 group play games. Group play win-loss records are used to seed players in tournament. All attending will partake in group play games, but tournament is capped at 24 players maximum.

Facebook event page can be found here https://www.facebook.com/events/274448089754995/
For details, procedures, and gameplay rules we will observe go to: TecmoBowlNES.com
Please plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to event for registration. You’re welcome to arrive 30-45 minutes early to partake in "warm-up" games before event begins.

To view BigWay Burger menu, go to: http://www.ralstonbigwayburger.com/
Video below shows clips from recent events
[youtube][/youtube]
BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Omaha Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball tournament

Post by BKB76 »

1st place trophies for this event have arrived.

Imagetecmo trophy by TECMOBOWLvsRBI, on Flickr

Imagerbi trophy by TECMOBOWLvsRBI, on Flickr
BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BKB76 »

Join us this Saturday(March 10th) for a Super Mario Kart tournament at 7PM. Free to enter and 1st place wins a $15 gift certificate to Bigway Burger.
Format will be double elimination. Event page with all the detail is here>

Stick around afterwards to play the NES & SNES mini classic systems.

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I took a look at the bigway menu. Pricey. Anybody ever eat there?
BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BKB76 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I took a look at the bigway menu. Pricey. Anybody ever eat there?
I eat there quite frequently and love their burgers. Stop in and try their special for the day. You can't go wrong on Tuesday with a $5 burger and fries. Special of the day is here > http://www.ralstonbigwayburger.com/our-truck.html
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

BKB76 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I took a look at the bigway menu. Pricey. Anybody ever eat there?
I eat there quite frequently and love their burgers. Stop in and try their special for the day. You can't go wrong on Tuesday with a $5 burger and fries. Special of the day is here > http://www.ralstonbigwayburger.com/our-truck.html
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are either the owner of Bigway or are friends with the owner. Or am I wrong?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, I do know the owner, Chef Chris, who used to own B'Skewd when it was in the Mall of the Bluffs food court and before that a Food Truck usually near Oak View Mall. Recently he was joined with Chef Lee Franklin, who runs Taste of New Orleans Food Truck found in Canfields Plaza, for a Mardi Gras evening there. So I am biased, but Chef Chris is a very good and creative chef, and I have never had a bad meal at any of his establishments. Chris is actually from West Africa and is very imaginative with his presentations, and always greets you with his big smile. So take that with a grain of salt, but this isn't a glorified fast food burger joint, but you can expect a good meal here.
BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BKB76 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you are either the owner of Bigway or are friends with the owner. Or am I wrong?
I approached Bigway in January to host my annual tournament, and at the time didn't know the owners. I put a lot of work into planning my events, so I'm in about once a week talking to management. I'm hosting other events there, so we've got a working relationship now, and I like their food. I agree that their prices are a bit above the norm, so I recommend people try the special if price is an issue.
BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BKB76 »

Tournament is 6 days away. Facebook event page with all the details is here > https://www.facebook.com/events/274448089754995/

Big thank you to all who have marked themselves as going or interested. We're up over 120 people total showing interested/going on the facebook event page with over 60 shares.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Not my thing but good luck with this. Hope it is successful and builds to the next event being even better.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BKB76
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BKB76 »

nebugeater wrote:Not my thing but good luck with this. Hope it is successful and builds to the next event being even better.
Success indeed! Had solid attendance as 20 played Tecmo Bowl, and 16 for R.B.I. Baseball. There were 25 people total playing throughout the day, as some entered both tournaments, and we payed out over $400 in cash prizes. Unfortunately for the field, both defending champions from last year managed to go undefeated and win their respective tournaments again! The good news is that the winners were local talent from Papillion, and Omaha!

Players from 5 different states were in attendance! 2 from Chicago Illinois, Lawrence Kansas(1), Ft Collins Colorado(1), and 3 players came from different central Iowa cities(Des Moines, Ft. Dodge, & Perry). 2 were from Lincoln along with Fairbury, and Kearney. Nearly half the field was from areas outside of Omaha. C'mon Omaha...you're getting shown up by some diehard players willing to travel. :mrgreen:

Video recap of the event below.
[youtube][/youtube]
The tables were cables, cords, and chaos, but overall the event ran really smooth. Once the players are assigned groups and schedule of opponents the tourney basically runs itself. Can't wait for next year!