County Board

Lauritzen Gardens

Post by eomaha »

Lauritzen Gardens
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Hey Jeff,

This is located off of I-80 right when you come up from Iowa on the bluff right? I've always wondered what that was. It looks beautiful! Definately worthy of a visit when I'm back in Omaha. If I remember correctly, did they remove a large part of the bluff there to put this in?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think part of the confusion might just be the fact that they call it "Lauritzen Gardens" instead of the Omaha Botanical Gardens. I mean, half of Omaha probably hears the name and assumes it's some new subdivision out west...hahah.

But it's nice to see these photos, Jeff. I haven't been there yet this year, and it's great to finally see some of their landscaping and gardens really starting to grow in. In the past when I've been there it's been a little sparce.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Lauritzen Gardens

Post by Finn »

Yes, Ingersoll, it is located on the bluff (north) overlooking Interstate 80. I do not believe they disturbed much of the bluff to construct the building. The grounds wrap around the face of the bluff to the north where it occupies a former bale dump (between apartments and single-family homes). This section has steep, wooded hills. The grounds also go down part of the bluffs (children's garden) and follow an old dead end road. I have not been there since the gardens were in the incipient stages and the offices took over the old Rinky Dink Bar at S. 6th and Cedar Streets. Great pictures Jeff, I hope to visit the gardens on my next trip back home (although I've been saying that the past few times!).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Finn, you describe the layout well ... the Children's Garden is actually to the northeast in the valley from the Rose Garden. The latest additions are down slope to the east of the Rose Garden... an arbortetum and bird sanctuary... and the Garden in the Glen.

The Japanese Garden (to be created in close conjuction with our sister city.. Shizouka) will be the 'Lied Jungle' of Lauritzen Gardens.

I should mention for those who haven't been there... they're only charging $2 on Sunday's (difference being picked up by a generous member).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great pictures again Jeff. I had not heard about the new addition. I presume this will be to the east going down to the tracks.
The future holds many exciting opportunites for the garden. One of these is the construction of a Japanese Garden. Through a cooperative partnership with our Sister City of Shizuoka, Japan, Lauritzen Gardens will be the site of a major Japanese Garden. When completed, this garden will encompass 6 acres; its central feature will be a one-acre pool. The garden is nestled on the floor of a valley which has very steep slopes. Streams, boulders and waterfalls will be installed on these steep slopes and re-circulate water from the main pool. Architectural features will abound in this garden, including a Japanese cultural center, a traditional tea house, arbors, bridges and other garden features. These structures will be built by Japanese craftsmen using centuries old traditions and designs. Further enhancing the authenticity of this garden is the recent gift of 24 carved stone lanterns. These beautiful works of art will be located throughout the garden. A gift of Mr. Yoichiro Suzuki and Mr. Tsutomu Asada of Shizuoka, these lanterns range in size from 2.5 feet to 11 feet tall and represent many different styles of lanterns.

The design of this outstanding garden was a gift to the people of the City of Omaha from Mr. Yuichi Kawai who has been involved with the Sister City relationship between Omaha and Shizuoka for many years. Mr. Shinichiro Abe was the landscape architect for this project. His firm ZEN Associates, Inc. of Sudbury, Massachusetts, specializes in the design of Japanese gardens. Fundraising efforts are underway to raise the necessary $4 million to build this monumental garden.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

There remains some expansive tracts between the Victorian Garden and the western most edge of the property. I suspect it will be somewhere here. Land is something they seem to have plenty of.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I was visiting the Lauritzen Gardens website and came across this...
Recently, Executive Director Spencer Crews visited Japan as part of the Lauritzen Gardens Japanese garden planning process. In 2005, the first icon of the garden will be installed - the garden gate. While in Omaha for River City Roundup in late September, a delegation from Shizuoka, Japan, will dedicate the gate in a special ceremony.

Don't forget the new Kenefick Park is scheduled to be completed later this year. I suspect the sight of these two enormous engines high on the hillside alone will draw a few cross country travellers off the road.

TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Definately an under-hyped attraction in omaha. It needs more benches and more shade along the trails. Walking around the place in the summer time will run you the risk of heat exhaustion for sure.

Here is a gallery of pictures I took there:
http://www.pbase.com/fantasmic03/gardens

Samples:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone getting married?

This is a great place to get married. There is the hall where you get married filled with flowers, trees, and such and its connected to the banquet room that overlooks the river and CB. Awsome place.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, I'm so excited for the Japanese Garden. I'm glad it will see its first "icon" this year!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeah, our botanical garden beats the heck out of the one in Golden Gate Park. I just visted there and was thoroughly unimpressed.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

All it takes is time and money to get there though...but mostly money :wink: From what I understand that place is probably doing OK in the donations department.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I'm glad this is moving ahead. This has been planned for a long time, since before the gardens received the 24 carved stone lanterns. Does anyone know exactly where the Japanese Gardens will be on the grounds?
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Wherever the Japanese Garden is. I have never been there so not sure exactly where.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Finn wrote:I'm glad this is moving ahead. This has been planned for a long time, since before the gardens received the 24 carved stone lanterns. Does anyone know exactly where the Japanese Gardens will be on the grounds?
These gardens will be on the "left" side of the trail leading to the far nw corner of the property. They will feature a sunken gardens from what I am told. It will be by far the property's largest individual display.

BTW, the gardens are a tremendous asset to Omaha. They are building the site up one display at a time, and I suspect 15 years from now they will still be working on something. It s well worth a visit during the growing season.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I'm going to have to check this out this year sometime, looks pretty nice. The Japanese garden sounds like it will be pretty impressive when its finished. Also, are they putting those two train engines out on the hill to the right (westbound) of the bridge or what. Should be cool to see.
eomaha
County Board

Official: Lauritzen Gardens

Post by eomaha »

So, along with the forthcoming Japanese Garden ...

6 acres, $4 million, one acre pool, streams, boulders and water falls, Japanese cultural center, tea house, arbors, bridges, other garden features.

I just came across this rendering of the proposed conservatory... which a staff person told me they are gearing up to begin raising funds for.

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Cool.

What is the timeframe on the Japanese Gardens?
That drawing has been on the books for over five years! I know the Gardens received a large contribution from a Japanese businessman. Hopefully, the push to build the Mt. Fuji replica as part of the sister city ceremonies will help push the rest of the gardens as well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is a little off of the subject, but:

Anyone looking for a cool place to get married and have the reception, this is worth checking out.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Dang! Those bridges are freakin sweet! Pretty cool. :) I need to get my butt to the gardens for the first time this season sometime soon anyways.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was thinking the same thing - that Omaha Building is going to look awesome.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't wait!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Lauritzen Gardens are turning in to a real gem of an attraction for Omaha.  I can't wait to see the model railroad.  It looks like a child(at heart)'s dream come true.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

They have twilight Tuesdays every Tuesday this summer and they're open til 8pm. We're having a Flickr Photo walk there on 7/31 from 6-8pm.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Those are pictures of work done in other locations, not Omaha. But good info none the less.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No, there are links at the top of the page to the construction photos.  Updsted yesterday:

http://www.omahabotanicalgardens.org/Ab ... ad_Garden/
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Oooops! My bad.  :oops:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Photos from a couple days ago.  The buildings were on-site, ready for placement.  Kind of interesting the way they were sitting off to the side of everything, kind of gives a post-apocolyptic vision of Omaha...

Union Pacific buildingImage

Rose theater

Central High School

Post-apocolypse Omaha, with First National tower laid over...
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They should be in place by the end of the day today.

Grand opening next Saturday.  

They will be running the bigboy on the weekends:
http://www.appliedimagination.biz/galle ... temId=1437
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

My walking group went to Lauritzen Gardens today.  The place just keeps getting better and better.  The railroad display looks to be awesome.  If you plan a visit and want to see it all, including Kenefick Park, plan on 2 hours.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From The email:
Thousands of families and children young and old have been thrilled by the garden's new model railroad garden this year. We thank all our visitors for their rave reviews of this exciting new feature!

Although the model railroad garden is permanent, it is also seasonal. Due to the delicate nature of the handcrafted buildings of natural materials, they will be stored indoors, away from the harsh winter weather. Visit the garden this weekend or next for your last chance to see the model railroad garden this season as it closes end of day Sunday, November 4.

The model railroad garden will re-open for the 2008 season in April.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Botanical Gardens Holiday Display

Misc:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Great photos, Brad.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Are those the buildings from the train display that was outside this summer?  I knew they were removing them to protect them from the winter weather.  Glad to see they're being put to good use, and on exhibit inside, rather than sitting in a warehouse somewhere....
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ben wrote:Are those the buildings from the train display that was outside this summer?  I knew they were removing them to protect them from the winter weather.  Glad to see they're being put to good use, and on exhibit inside, rather than sitting in a warehouse somewhere....
Yes, I believe they are the ones that spend the warmer months outside.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

We were in town this past weekend to see my mom & she took us to the Lauritzen Gardens.  She's been a member since it started.  I've been there before but only to the visitors center.  

THIS PLACE IS AMAZING!.  When they say world class, that's an understatement.  How they got the two train engines up there I'll never understand.  I can't believe it's only 100 acres...it seems much bigger.  The plantings and gardens are beautiful.  The whole place is so professionally done & classy.

Now to the coolest thing.  The model train exhibit is now outside and from what I understand it's only 1/3 of the way done.  They hope to have it finished by Fathers Day.  It is the most amazing thing.  I was talking with one of the volunteers at the train exhibit & he was telling me about it.  The amount of time and energy put into this is huge.  

If you haven't checked out the whole of Lauritzen Gardens, and IF you have any appreciation for the outdoors, you have to go.  It really is one of Omaha's real gems, and it isn't nearly complete.  It's impossible to believe that a few short years ago the place was, literally, a dump.    We took the tram back from the Japanese Garden to the visitors center & even that is well done.  Along the way there is a recorded tour audio playing and describing the different gardens and how they did what they did.  It's very well done.