Jobbers Canyon brewery (CLOSED)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I always liked that place, but the phrase "over-lighted interior" comes to mind. The staff always seemed a bit iffy to me as well, as if they never really knew what they were doing. But I really liked their beer and their beer-cheese dip bread bowl.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So if you can Bogart the success of downtown restaurants based on the 1-2 nights a week suburbanites visit, who gets the blame for the 7 nights a week they weren't going to Tin Star or S&C?  Somehow I have the feeling this is going to be my fault, too.
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying... I wasn't blaming the downtown resident.  The suburbanites are what makes or breaks the downtown restaurant.  Of course whether in downtown or west Omaha... restaurants are all facing the same over saturated market conditions.  And yes, of course being 'isolated' downtown... restaurants like Jobber's Canyon face a far steeper hill.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You do realize that most of the people in Omaha still live east of 72nd St right? It's not everyone past 132nd street keeping the city afloat.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You do realize that most of the people in Omaha still live east of 72nd St right? It's not everyone past 132nd street keeping the city afloat
In your dreams D'Shawn.

A quick sampling of the zipcode level data I have at my disposal shows the following (I believe we went down this road once before... can't recall what the discussion was), which while not comprehensive (excludes children)... is certainly proportionate... and this isn't even counting Sarpy County... another 100+ thousand  (be VERY happy that the city council districts aren't being re-drawn in the aftermath of the Elkhorn annexation).  And don't even make me go 'joemoney' on you where buying power is concerned.

'East of 72nd' ZIP Codes
68102   2138
68104   24481
68105   12866
68106   14616
68107   14736
68108   7399
68110   4697
68111   14622
68112   8282
68117   5447
68131   6247
68132   8603
68152   4799
Total:  128,933

'West of 72nd' ZIP Codes
68114   13005
68116   15920
68118   6844
68122   5763
68124   11793
68127   14219
68130   12326
68134   20042
68135   15717
68137   18817
68142   2095
68144   18479
68154   16571
68164   19255
Total: 190,846
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Ok now through in Bellevue, Ralston and Council BLuffs and there are still more people in this side of town than that side.
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Not sure the point of this East Side/West Side argument, but for what little it may be worth.....Ralston is West of 72nd St., as is most all of La Vista, Papillion, Gretna, Bennington, Waterloo, Valley, Fremont, and all the suburban areas not inside some city limits.  Bellevue is on the East side, as is all of Iowa.  

I live just inside the 680 loop.  I am 15 minutes to Village Point and 15 minutes to downtown.  I had dinner Friday night at the Flatiron (and drinks at the magnificent Magnolia hotel), and had lunch today at Village Pointe.  I enjoy dining out, and eat dinner at a restaurant usually twice a week.  Downtown has an aire of sophistication not present in West O.  West O has lots of free parking (it is sometimes difficult to find parking downtown, with more and more concerts and other events taking place).  I don't choose to eat somewhere in order to make a statement of political correctness.  My significant other and friends decide what we are in the mood for, and whether we are doing dinner and a film, or dinner and shopping, or dinner and a concert, and then take it from there.  

I think that a lot of downtown diners live in Dundee and the Elmwood Park, Benson, Country Club, Field Club and Fairacres neighborhoods.  All are East of 72nd St.  Residents of these neighborhoods tend to shun eating and shopping out west if at all possible.  For many of those residents, living where they do is a statement that they don't want to live a suburban lifestyle.  In contrast, many suburban residents (and that can be at 12000 South or North 30th St.) only go downtown to eat when they are entertaining out of town guests.

Long story short: as long as downtown keeps adding sophisticated and fun places to eat,  a lot of area residents will spend some of their dining dollars downtown.  As long as suburban areas keep opening similar styled places, with acres of free parking, near theatres and shopping districts, they will also attract their share of residents.

What will be interesting looking out 2 or 3 years will be the effect of Midtown Crossing and Aksarben Village on the Old Market and downtown dining scene.  Frankly, these developments stand to sift a lot of dollars from both downtown and suburban restaurants, but I suspect most of the hurt will fall on downtown/Old Market venues.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Ok now through in Bellevue, Ralston and Council BLuffs and there are still more people in this side of town than that side
:D  So you're going to include Bellevue, Ralston, and Council Bluffs as part of your local urban contingent supporting the downtown restaurant market?  So Bellevue, Ralston, and Council Bluffs don't have restaurant options of their own?   I think you missed the point.  Downtown restaurants, among the best in the city... cannot survive on the residents of the immediate area alone.  Restaurants in Bellevue, Ralston, and Council Bluffs (and west Omaha) can.  Yes, that does make it a totally different kind of market... yes, one which is dependent on patrons from well outside of the immediate market area (patrons which are faced with an increasingly difficult decision as to what restaurants to go to in an over saturated restaurant market overall).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So could any other area of the city's restaurants be entirely self supporting with just the people that neighborhood? Probably not.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Now you're crossing us over into the same subject being covered in the 'expensive condos' forum.  Gee, why DOESN'T east Omaha have the same strong presence of retail/services/restaurants which the suburbs have?  Unfortunately (for those downtown residents who care to admit they'd like to have this type of amenity nearby)... suburbanites don't find the same appeal in shopping at a downtown Target while enjoying the romantic Old Market district... that they get in dining at one of it's nice restaurants.  I don't know why east Omaha can't support these things on it's own... you tell me... you live there, maybe you have some insight. All I can say is thank goodness for the Old Market... with the help of it's drawing power, there may be just enough traffic from outside the immediate area... to help along these businesses just far enough, that they can continue to expand into segments which are of more use to the local downtown residents.  I am hopeful that Midtown Crossing will further help create some critical mass.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I don't know why east Omaha can't support these things on it's own... you tell me... you live there, maybe you have some insight.
It's kind of hard to say that a downtown Target couldn't be supported (Saddle Creek is not downtown) when one doesn't exist.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well, I guess we might just as well assume one could be supported in the center of a cornfield outside of Hyannis, Nebraska, where one doesn't exist either.  No, I would say there is a very good reason why... today... there is no Target in or outside of downtown Omaha... and I'm fairly certain it's not because Big E and his neighbors think it's beneath them to shop there.  With locations going up all over the metro... seems strange that Target would bypass on a golden opportunity to go into one more market area... indeed, one in which they'd seemingly have no competition.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Until recently ago, no one could sell condos downtown.  Until 5 years go, the Civic Auditorium was just fine.  Until this year, Rosenblatt was the once and future home of the CWS.  

But you're right... downtown can't support retail.  The proof?  No one has tried it yet.  The planet didn't start being round when Columbus went on his little joyride.  

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Which is what's odd... 'per capita'... there's more investment outside of retail going into downtown... than anywhere else in the metro.  Yet, developers are apparently 'going out on a limb' and investing millions in other untested markets all over the perimeter of our metro.  So, why not downtown?  or even EAST of 72nd Street??   Seems like a sure thing... no?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The planet didn't start being round when Columbus went on his little joyride.  
True -- they knew long before Columbus that the world was round.   :D
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote:
The planet didn't start being round when Columbus went on his little joyride.  
True -- they knew long before Columbus that the world was round.   :D
Agreed, but there were "certain elements" that refused to believe it at the risk of having their little world and beliefs crumble around them. :D

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Stargazer wrote:Which is what's odd... 'per capita'... there's more investment outside of retail going into downtown... than anywhere else in the metro.  Yet, developers are apparently 'going out on a limb' and investing millions in other untested markets all over the perimeter of our metro.  So, why not downtown?  or even EAST of 72nd Street??   Seems like a sure thing... no?
Because most developers in Omaha for the last 60 years have been and are suburban-minded, although things are obviously changing for the better.

To me, a suburbanite (like Jeff) asking the urban-dwellers why they don't have any retail is like the bully-older brother taking the younger brother's hand and using it to hit the younger brother saying, "Stop hitting yourself.  Stop hitting yourself."
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

:D  I think some of you guys are just a little overly sensitive to issues like these... and you have to realize that I'm as anxious to see things turn around for urban Omaha as anyone...  I've said MANY times before... I'm even willing to pony up my 'suburban' tax dollars to see more incentives thrown towards addressing the situation.

Heck, Big E doesn't even want to pay a relative pittance towards funding a BID in his own neighborhood.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote::D  I think some of you guys are just a little overly sensitive to issues like these.
I think you're overly simplifying it, as well.  The "no one has tried so therefore I'm right and you're wrong" argument is a little weak.  If major retailers were springing up and failing left and right like suburban restaurants, I might buy it.  Until then, we're kind of at a stalemate.
Stargazer wrote:Heck, Big E doesn't even want to pay a relative pittance towards funding a BID in his own neighborhood.
Like I've said before, as soon as the downtown businesses are willing to help me with my HOA dues, I'd me more than happy to chip in and promote their businesses.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

think you're overly simplifying it, as well.  The "no one has tried so therefore I'm right and you're wrong" argument is a little weak.  If major retailers were springing up and failing left and right like suburban restaurants, I might buy it.  Until then, we're kind of at a stalemate.
Okay, I don't know the process by which these developers go through to determine viability of an area.  But I have to assume that they ARE aware of east Omaha (certainly Target is) and downtown... and have applied some analytical method (I mean for crying out loud, we are talking about twice the population of Council Bluffs alone, in the city east of 72nd!).  Once again, they're throwing up businesses all over the metro in much less densely populated areas... which on the surface would appear to be higher risk to provide a satisfactory return.  It just strikes me as odd that they are willing to expose themselves financially in these other areas... yet they apparently are reluctant to give east Omaha a chance.  So, yes, I'd say that there has been little to no effort to 'try' it thus far... says something.
Locke
Home Owners Association

Post by Locke »

Oh no! That sucks! Jobber's Canyon was one of the places I always visit when I'm back in town.

P.S. - the "Downtown rules - suburbia sucks!" "NO! Downtown sucks - suburbia rules!" shtick is really annoying after the 1928192820th time you see it on the forum.  Having both is what makes Omaha great, so just hold hands and get along!  :yes:
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present." - Abraham Lincoln
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Two guys can't hold hands in Nebraska remember? :;):
DTO
Tartuffe
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Tartuffe »

One has to wonder if many of these so called Omaha "Urban dwellers" actually believe that DTO is on the same level as America's largest Urban areas, such as Chicago, San Fran, NYC, Boston, etc.  I have traveled the USA extensively, and DTO, although very nice, and certainly unique, is not even close to being on the same par as these cities.  It seems the reason many people living DT are so defensive in regard to the Urban-ness of living in DTO is to further their own illusion of what Omaha is on a national level.  Omaha is a rising city, no doubt about it, but Omaha itself, and DTO, is not the Urban haven that it is often represented as on this site.  The truth of the matter, for better or for worse, is that Omaha is largely driven by its suburbanite nature.  This is a soccer mom city.  Always will be.
Tartuffe
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Tartuffe »

Soccer mom city=outcry over Hannah Montana concert

Or, was the Hannah Montana concert the first concert in Omaha to ever involve the scalping of tickets at ridiculously over-marked prices?
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

The reason it was such a problem for the Hannah Montana concert is that too many parents these days cannot and will not let their children be disappointed.  Imagine the horror if a kid didn't get what they wanted.  

DTO is not DTSF or DTC?  Does that make it not as good.  There are some things about downtown Chicago that are truly awesome (same with SF).  There are also some things that Omaha kicks their touchy on.  Affordability is one.  From that perspective DTO doesn't look so bad.  That is just one point of many that could be made.  Point is Omaha is what Omaha is.....to me that means a great place to live!!!!!  It is a better place to live than either of those two cities and I like those cities.....but then that is my opinion and I am not wrong for having.  Much like you are not wrong for having yours.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Tartuffe wrote:One has to wonder if many of these so called Omaha "Urban dwellers" actually believe that DTO is on the same level as America's largest Urban areas, such as Chicago, San Fran, NYC, Boston, etc.  I have traveled the USA extensively, and DTO, although very nice, and certainly unique, is not even close to being on the same par as these cities.  It seems the reason many people living DT are so defensive in regard to the Urban-ness of living in DTO is to further their own illusion of what Omaha is on a national level.  Omaha is a rising city, no doubt about it, but Omaha itself, and DTO, is not the Urban haven that it is often represented as on this site.  The truth of the matter, for better or for worse, is that Omaha is largely driven by its suburbanite nature.  This is a soccer mom city.  Always will be.
You show a severe lack of foresight.  I'm pretty sure no one on this forum has any illusions about Omaha being on par with NYC, Chicago, etc.  That's ridiculous.

But even THOSE cities had to start somewhere.  So to say that Omaha will always be a soccer mom city is just ignorant.  Omaha is changing every day.

I was Downtown last Thursday, and even I was taken aback at the liveliness as I drove around.  There was a true, urban vibrancy, not the kind you get on a perfect summer weekend evening during the summer arts festival, but the kind you get when you have a large enough population of people living and visiting Downtown, going about their daily activities, getting coffee, shopping, having dinner, etc.  And this was a Thursday in October.

For a very long time, we've had to be of the attitude that "Omaha is what you make it," which involved a fair amount of delusion.  But more and more that's not the case.

What I'm trying to say is, if you think of Omaha as the urban paradise you want it to be... eventually down the line, reality starts to reflect that.

But if you have rigid, outdated, inaccurate, negative views of the city, you're holding the city back.

I have to say, though, that more and more, people are getting it.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Tartuffe
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Tartuffe »

I suppose time will tell, and I hope you are right, but I just don't see it happening.  Could you give any examples of cities that have made such progressions?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Made what progression? From uncool soccer mom cities to happneing urban havens?

Denver
Austin
Portland
Atlanta
Miami

Pretty much every city that's abuzz now wasn't always that way.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Cities change over time...that's just the way things work.

San Francisco used to be a working class conservative town until the late 50's, early 60's.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Tartuffe wrote:One has to wonder if many of these so called Omaha "Urban dwellers" actually believe that DTO is on the same level as America's largest Urban areas, such as Chicago, San Fran, NYC, Boston, etc.  I have traveled the USA extensively, and DTO, although very nice, and certainly unique, is not even close to being on the same par as these cities.  It seems the reason many people living DT are so defensive in regard to the Urban-ness of living in DTO is to further their own illusion of what Omaha is on a national level.  Omaha is a rising city, no doubt about it, but Omaha itself, and DTO, is not the Urban haven that it is often represented as on this site.  The truth of the matter, for better or for worse, is that Omaha is largely driven by its suburbanite nature.  This is a soccer mom city.  Always will be.
You show a severe lack of foresight.  I'm pretty sure no one on this forum has any illusions about Omaha being on par with NYC, Chicago, etc.  That's ridiculous.

But even THOSE cities had to start somewhere.  So to say that Omaha will always be a soccer mom city is just ignorant.  Omaha is changing every day.

I was Downtown last Thursday, and even I was taken aback at the liveliness as I drove around.  There was a true, urban vibrancy, not the kind you get on a perfect summer weekend evening during the summer arts festival, but the kind you get when you have a large enough population of people living and visiting Downtown, going about their daily activities, getting coffee, shopping, having dinner, etc.  And this was a Thursday in October.

For a very long time, we've had to be of the attitude that "Omaha is what you make it," which involved a fair amount of delusion.  But more and more that's not the case.

What I'm trying to say is, if you think of Omaha as the urban paradise you want it to be... eventually down the line, reality starts to reflect that.

But if you have rigid, outdated, inaccurate, negative views of the city, you're holding the city back.

I have to say, though, that more and more, people are getting it.
Well written and so true..

Nice job Aaron..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Shall we not move on....
ghiaray
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ghiaray »

Swift wrote:I always liked that place, but the phrase "over-lighted interior" comes to mind. The staff always seemed a bit iffy to me as well, as if they never really knew what they were doing. But I really liked their beer and their beer-cheese dip bread bowl.
I agree Swift, I went in many times for a beer and had to wait cause the staff was not around.
Bartenders never seem to be friendly.
Beer was good, Dean makes a great product

Give me the US any day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have to agree with all of that also. I really enjoyed their beer and most of the food served there.
Plus they would have a shuttle to the Qwest for Creighton games.
Many Creighton fans would gather there before the game.

Thanks for posting ghiaray and welcome to eOmahaForums!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not sure how recent or relevant this is, but I stumbled on it tonight:

http://www.lundco.com/tgweb/print_datas ... me=&paddr=

$20/sf to rent.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Was Jobber's Canyon renting this place or do they own the building?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I remember the building being for sale a while back.  May be someone bought it and is now trying to rent it.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I will miss Jobber's Canyon, but the place never quite felt "right".  For one thing, the place is on 3 levels.  The "Blue" people have a strong track record of success, and the Old Market is a great location for anything "trendy."