Jazz, A Louisiana Kitchen (CLOSED)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've been to Jazz quite a few times. It's one of my favorite places. I noticed the other day that this area of DT is starting to see quite a bit of new restaurants. Even more than in North DT right now.

On the Paxton Block
-Jazz
-The Chophouse
-Jimmy John's

Across the street at Central Park Plaza
-Sullivan's (theme restaurant)
-Starbucks

I'm betting that Holland Center attenders are frequenters of these restaurants.
DTO
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

I also ate at Jazz over the weekend, for the first time, and really loved it!  If you like oysters on the half shell they have Thursday special, just 50 cents each!  Yum!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Going to Jazz tonight with Mrs Tuna and some friends before the Blue October show tonight.  Any recommendations or discouragements?  I can't get the menu to come up on their site.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

My favorite the crawfish and anduoille fettuccini. Wags likes the chicken a la mer. The Boudin Balls as an appetizer are great. I'd also recommend the shrimp fettuccini, the shrimp czarina, and pretty much anything but the cajun cacciatore. Way too spicy for me.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Chicken a la mer has to have a crack cocaine base. I'm hooked.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:Chicken a la mer has to have a crack cocaine base. I'm hooked.
Second that.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Thanks, guys!  Looking forward to some good food tonight!...I ga-run-tee!!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Good food at Jazz on Sat.  I tried alligator for the first time!  The krab cakes were tasty and the chicken a la mer was really tasty and was pleasantly spicy!  Would definitely go back considering the prices were pretty reasonable.  Can't sing praises about the wait staff though.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:Good food at Jazz on Sat.  I tried alligator for the first time!  The krab cakes were tasty and the chicken a la mer was really tasty and was pleasantly spicy!  Would definitely go back considering the prices were pretty reasonable.  Can't sing praises about the wait staff though.
Oh my god... there might not be a place downtown with as consistently bad service as Jazz.  La Buvette MAYBE, but that's kind of their schtick.

Good thing the food is so good.  I order the Chicken a la Mer and get about three meals out of it.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E wrote:I order the Chicken a la Mer and get about three meals out of it.
um...then maybe I should change my name to Big Almighty Tuna.  I killed the entire portion.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:
um...then maybe I should change my name to Big Almighty Tuna.  I killed the entire portion.
Keep doing that and we'll change your name for you.   :D
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah Tuesday's special is 1/2 price Chicken a la mer. I get the half order and crush it. I'm hoping you are talking about the full order Big E.  :oops:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm jammed full if I get through the 1/2 order in one sitting (or the "not full order" as they call it).

I usually supplement with a 1/2 dozen oysters, though, too.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I guess I will see you guys done there tomorrow about 6 or so then?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Big E wrote: I usually supplement with a 1/2 dozen oysters, though, too.
:barf:

I tried oysters once and about blew chunks on the bar. It's like trying to eat a mouthful of snot, only more nasty. Good job on getting me hooked on sushi, but oysters are vile.

I'm booked tomorrow night, so I'll probably be making the standard Tuesday lunch stop.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If I'm starving I'll put away a full order of crawfish and andouille fettucini and and order of Boudin Balls. The boudin balls have a la mer sauce so I get my crack fix that way too.
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Big E wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:Good food at Jazz on Sat.  I tried alligator for the first time!  The krab cakes were tasty and the chicken a la mer was really tasty and was pleasantly spicy!  Would definitely go back considering the prices were pretty reasonable.  Can't sing praises about the wait staff though.
Oh my god... there might not be a place downtown with as consistently bad service as Jazz.  La Buvette MAYBE, but that's kind of their schtick.

Good thing the food is so good.  I order the Chicken a la Mer and get about three meals out of it.
We have eaten at Jazz maybe 8-10 times, and NEVER had bad service.  Sometimes it is very quick and efficient, and sometimes it is a tad slow, but never ever has it been rude or nonexistent.  One of us must be hitting it on off days.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

the1wags wrote:Chicken a la mer has to have a crack cocaine base. I'm hooked.
I have never had crack, but for some reason you description makes me want to try some chicken a la mer.
where the corn meets the concrete
mrs_tuna
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mrs_tuna »

almighty_tuna wrote:
I kind of feel bad that I wasn't all that impressed.  From the reviews here I was expecting so much more!  I do appreciate that they are at least up front and honest about not using real crab meat ... but my food was lacking something.
bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bluecollartechworker »

I had a weekend lunch at Jazz recently and everyone liked their food.  It was everybody's first time there and the staff and food where good.  Service was a little slower than some people might expect, but none of us minded.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

mrs_tuna wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
I kind of feel bad that I wasn't all that impressed.  From the reviews here I was expecting so much more!  I do appreciate that they are at least up front and honest about not using real crab meat ... but my food was lacking something.
Btw, I'm calling you out on this now.  You'd kill for some chicken a la mer and a bloody mary from Jazz and you know it!
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Jazz, A Louisiana Kitchen (15th and Farnam)

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I love the building but HATE the
purple, green, yellow paint job.  It' sucks and has since day one.
This building could be amazing for now it looks like sh$t.  Had to get that off my chest
Coyote
City Council

Re: Jazz ( a Louisiana kitchen).

Post by Coyote »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:But HATE the
This building could be amazing for now it looks like sh$t.  Had to get that off my chest
You have never lived in Louisiana.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:I love the building but HATE the
Yeah, how dare a Louisiana style Restaraunt in Nebraska use colors to signify them as such.  Are you serious?
omadweller
Home Owners Association

Post by omadweller »

Good food, I had talapia, but I do remember the purple.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Like most southern food, too much salt and too much sugar for me.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Yeah, how dare a Louisiana style Restaraunt in Nebraska use colors to signify them as such.  Are you serious?
Yes, I'm very serious.  Have you not been there?   I'm know those colors could look good but it is very poorly done and the pieces of plywood they have painted over are warping.   Looks like a boarded up abandoned building with a crappy paint job.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:
Yes, I'm very serious.  Have you not been there?   I'm know those colors could look good but it is very poorly done and the pieces of plywood they have painted over are warping.   Looks like a boarded up abandoned building with a crappy paint job.

Have YOU been to Louisiana?     :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

nebugeater wrote:
ItsAllAboutMe wrote:

Have YOU been to Louisiana?     :;):

+1

Also I don't know if everyone is aware that Jazz is actually a chain, hence the Mardi Gras color scheme is a part of their trademark.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:I love the building but HATE the
purple, green, yellow paint job.
I will second the question.  Are you serious???  The restaurant is the closest thing to anything located in or near the French Quarter that I have ever seen anywhere else in America.  And for the most part I truly love the food.  Even the service (often lackadaisical) authentically replicates The Big Easy.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Went there randomly after Beauty and the Beast at the Orpheum yesterday.  For the price had a great meal.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I will second the question.  Are you serious???  The restaurant is the closest thing to anything located in or near the French Quarter that I have ever seen anywhere else in America.  And for the most part I truly love the food.  Even the service (often lackadaisical) authentically replicates The Big Easy.
Seriously?  Did you read my post?  At no time have questioned the quality of the food nor the interior decor.

A.) I have been to the French Quarter many times and and I love it.  
B.) I don't have a problem with the colors themselves.

I have a huge problem with the execution and quality of the exterior.  You apparently believe that rotting plywood covered by a bad paint job is somehow perfect for that corner of downtown.  I took the time to look at the photo's of the other Jazz Kitchens in the chain and they did very nice jobs with those  exteriors.  They didn't use some lame excuse that because it's a Louisiana kitchen we can do a crappy job.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I don't think that the exterior of the building is the responsibility of the tenant.  And other than putting a metal railing and outdoor seating, plus a rather attractive neon sign, I don't think the building exterior was changed at all since Jazz signed their lease.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Jazz, A Louisiana Kitchen (15th and Farnam)

Post by Coyote »

Had the Crawfish Po'Boy and thought it was good, but the crawfish were overly battered.
My friend had the Chicken a la Mer which looked great, almost had their Muffuletta, but wanted a Po'Boy.
Nice atmosphere, really enjoyed being back in Louisiana (for an hour...)

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I haven't been there in a while.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have been there numerous times and love the Chicken a la Mer. I think the restaurant did a great job on the inside to make it feel like you are down by the bayou. There are so many other restaurants that could do a few thttle things to help carry out the theme like Jazz.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Last time I was there, it was a lot of salt, sugar, and shrimp. Any items on the current menu that would not blow up you blood sugar or your BP?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Cajun food ain't health food.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:I have been there numerous times and love the Chicken a la Mer.  I think the restaurant did a great job on the inside to make it feel like you are down by the bayou.  There are so many other restaurants that could do a few thttle things to help carry out the theme like Jazz.
Chicken a la Mer. Yeah, if I had to have a last meal, I might as for this.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I keep forgetting Tuesdays the Chicken a la Mer is half priced...